Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

poo poo post?!

e:

Pirate Jet posted:

rebel goon

josh04 fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Dec 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Orb orb orb. Annoying it's only open two nights, it's walkable from where I work but I wasn't planning on going in Friday.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

A spectre is haunting cinema— the spectre of Snyder. All the powers of old Twitter have entered into a holy alliance to exorcise this spectre: critic and blogger, Letterboxd user and IMDB nerd, MCU radicals and animation police-spies.

Where is the party in opposition that has not been decried as a Snyder-esque bot army by its opponents in power? Where is the opposition that has not hurled back the branding reproach of 'DC fan', against the more advanced opposition parties, as well as against its reactionary adversaries?

Two things result from this fact:

I. Snyder's army is already acknowledged by all online powers to be itself a power.

II. It is high time that Snyder fans should openly, in the face of the whole world, publish their views, their aims, their tendencies, and meet this nursery tale of the Spectre of Snyder with a manifesto of the fandom itself.

To this end, Snyder fans of various nationalities have assembled in London and sketched the following manifesto, to be published in gyms in the English, French, German, Italian, Flemish and Danish languages.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

you're gonna come into this, a zack snyder cined thread, and assume that disdain from critics is the thing that's going to break us?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

The funny thing is that if you're actually concerned about AI supplanting real artistry, there's nothing more damaging to your cause than saying bad human art is akin to the production of a machine. The bad human art is what you're claiming to value!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

MacheteZombie posted:

That's right Josh I stole your joke

Joke?!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Nightmare Cinema posted:

The confirmation is more-so the guy who described it as "The cinematic equivalent of an NFT"

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Lol, I mean if they could have rigged it they would have.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

But similar to the breakneck pacing of The Creator, I don't really see how that's a problem. Sometimes there's just a cool dude about who's totally up for it.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Schwarzwald posted:

yeah that was paul bettany I thought

Don't know about fully formed but he definitely got executed!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

It just means 2024 will be the year of Rebellious Moons.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Just out of Rebel Moon - the most important thing I need to bring to CineD is the news that Jimmy is, in fact, a Chappie. Otherwise I'm going to let it settle, but while there's lots of obvious spaces where backstory and expansion will go in, the film competently tells a coherent story from start to finish. It also looks gorgeous.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Mr. Apollo posted:

Movie was good. I agree with the 7.5/10 rating. As others said, you could definitely feel where material was cut but none of that material is critical to the movie. It’s also definitely not Star Wars other than having a dirty and gritty universe with already established civilizations and tech. It’s just like Zack’s original film school pitch “seven samurai and dirty dozen in space”.

There's lots of Star Wars in there, but it's more homages and allusions than it is "Zack Snyder's Andor" or whatever. The closest thing is them going to a space cantina to pick up a roguish pilot but even that's played more like a Western than it's similar to A New Hope. Otherwise it's like "Is there a camp, non-violent humanoid robot?" yes and he immediately gets shot.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

They're a reference to 2002's The Scorpion King, hence the fight against a giant arachnid.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Well, that won't happen in this one.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

In context I thought the half-naked guy was getting off on it.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

No Luck Needed posted:

these go together, the Village was targeted before any bounty hunters were introduced to the story. If the Admiral had said "we want the grain, the vegetables, the livestock, we want it all" that makes more sense, we want "grain" ok dude, here is 10,000 bushels of millet. You didnt say what kind of grain. I can grow Flax in 90 days, maybe faster on a fantasy space moon. Come back for your 10,000 bushels of bird feed.

it is dumb that in sci-fi a planet has only one "big city" it is also dumb that they waste rocket fuel on gathering grain. It is like Snyder wanted to do Seven Samurai, did word replace "grain" for "rice" and didnt think a second thought about it.

Well, why didn't the village in seven samurai hand over a large amount of bird feed?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

CelticPredator posted:

I do want to know why the grain was super important in this universe.

Same reason it's important in this universe. Army gotta eat, no farms on your giant space submarine.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

checkplease posted:

Also space beer. Motherworlda craft game is weak.

They had Bud until Admiral Noble ordered it all ejected into space.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

they're germanic tribes under rome, my dude.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

The trouble is that the things you're worrying about about are made up. Noble commands a ship but he isn't the empire's top guy; his hope is that success on the mission will let him move into politics and he's not even right about that. He's middle management, which is why he's dressed as middle management. We see a flashback with a thousand guys like him. Is it a coincidence that he visits the village where Kora is hiding? Yes, but that's the whole story. And everything about Kora's reaction suggests that this was inevitable at some point because they're an expansionist empire rapidly acquiring territory. The insurrection is roughly 100 people and they lose half their leadership in one battle, they're not an existential threat to the empire. They're just some rebels hanging out on a moon.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

You know what they say, one bad rebel spoils the moon.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Know the dangers!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

It's weird because it's called "suspending your disbelief", which implies it's something you the viewer do. But then the rest of the post describes how it's something the movie, an inanimate object, has to do by means of "choreography". So where does this suspension happen? In the viewer or in the movie?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

I like the idea thst you can only have a northern irish accent in a film if you're going to be a witty little leprechaun fucker. Forbidden otherwise.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

No Kora, I think you will find it is YOU who have betrayed ME.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

In this illusion-based theory of cinematic pleasure, how do you account for the act of watching a movie twice? Is it a necessarily diminished process, the hawkish nerd ever in the corner of your mind screaming that you know how this one goes? That the illusion of peril is a total sham? Does Raiders of the Lost Ark suck that little bit more because you know you bought a five-set?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

H13 posted:

Each time you re-watch a movie, it is less enjoyable compared to the previous time you watched it.

This...is one of the most obvious statements ever?

But if the illusion of danger is constructed well enough, it'll still work on some level on repeated viewings. It's the illusion you enjoy moreso than the outcome. So even if you know the outcome (or even if you can sort of predict it on some level on the first viewing), as long as that doesn't interfere with the illusion itself, it's still great fun.

Like, when you re-watch the scariest movie you've ever seen? You'd have to be kidding yourself to get scared at the same bits as you did the first time right?

...That's exactly what you're doing. You're allowing yourself to believe in the illusion and you're believing in what you're seeing.

However, it's REAL hard to do that when the plot armour is blatantly obvious and super visible even on the first watching. Like if you're watching something that's supposed to be scary, but the ENTIRE TIME you can see something which is highlighting, underlining and reminding you that the characters are going to be fine, then there's absolutely no illusion.

Going one further, would this make docudramas the most effective form of narrative? Because the viewer can have absolute confidence of the illusion before watching? Or else, are docudramas not worth watching at all - the craft of illusion being necessarily absent?

When I watch Gotti, am I more engaged because I know the real Gotti was never killed by the mob? Or less engaged?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

sbaldrick posted:

The only way this could have worked if it Synder had gone all in on his fascism love and made the Rebels old school religious traditionalist fighting against the Federation from Star Trek.

This film is Joss Whedon's Serenity

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

I mean they just drag his drunk rear end onto the ship but that shorthand is clear, he's the guy from gladiator but in space. Would still like just a bit more there.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

No Luck Needed posted:

the Weekly Planet pointed out that A Bug's Life is a better version of seven samurai than Rebel Moon

Worse than the film with the same concept created by history's greatest animation studio on the cusp of their unprecedented run of commercial and artistic success, you say?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Gumball Gumption posted:

Weirdest cope from both posters I've ever seen in my life

lol, I mean I'd love for Zack Snyder to be kicking Pixar's rear end with this.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

It's unfair to compare Rebel Moon to other good movies.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

NotJustANumber99 posted:

ok I don't know poo poo about any of this. here is my big review:

I watched this with a lot of this thread's complaints in mind, and I could recognise them. I dunno if I would have done if I hadn't had people make me think about it beforehand.

It was like an AI wrote it.

Regarding the I dunno big weird sky backgrounds or whatever. Nonsense, looks lovely.

There are some talky bits where its like yeah lol noone talks like that but then I live in a pleasant little village where my main complaint is the prebaked bread at budgens being a bit poo poo so I'm cool with all these people lamenting the 1000year empire loving things up. Although I kind of do live in that world actually if i think about it.

Maybe I think some of the slomo is kind of a bit incomplete cos theres supposed to be more that would sort of complement it? but its waiting for the next version? Netflix should maybe offer a feature where it speeds up the slomo to normalmo if you so desire.

I loved so many of the characters that I can absolutely see people being pissed off with not seeing more of them and I hope we do.

Like not even necessarily characters so much but some i dunno the term character dynamics? This could be in reference to this movie ripping off all sorts of other sources which yeah it does but isnt that like an homage? I liked that the soldiers left in the village weren't just a bunch of robotic rapists, they had a whole story going on there. Like it reminds me a bit of sharpe (for the brits) but also all sorts of modern iraq etc warfare movies wheres theres characters and tension between them. I though it was sold well.

The baddies trip into the village was tense and awkward as hell.

I thought there were quite a lot of establishing shots, like spaceships landing in places with the place literally names on screen. It reminded me a bit of guardians of the galaxy in that respect and I would like someone smarter to reflect on that. I suppose it could be what people dont like. as In theres no interplay on the spaceship between these disperate characters. Like no discussion about where to drive the spaceship or whose in charge.

About the grain. Like I guess assume the bad guy went to a bunch of places and demanded unreasonable things from a bunch of people just to shake things up and use his agents to follow up on the outcome and track down people that way. Like the assistant guy says, one of our dudes found this and the grabby prisoner crab robots were shown to be in the possession of other bounty hunters earlier. like maybe the mining village also got a visit, the refinery village, etc.

What I would quite like in the sequel is a shawn of the dead homage(ripoff) where kora bumps into an old buddy who settled in the mining village and marches her crew past their perfectly mirrored crew of reprobates set out to take the empire down.

I did think the end battle was a bit lame and got confused alot. But I'm not getting any younger and have been drinking even more than usual for xmas. Like it seemed like there must be a missing cut where they walked away all the other magnificent seven in their uptight neckbrace carry crabs before gunnar did his heroics so they didnt end up directly in the firing line of the ensuing shootout. Ban solo literally says this just before, move them incapacitated, but we dont see it.

Like maybe it will be a bit more like starwars in the sequel if they can have a medal ceremony and jimmy and the eagle not get one.

Overall I think its just a bit sad if everyone hates it and we dont get more things like this.

fair

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Interview with the VFX supervisor

Some fun bits, they built a real Jimmy head and chest, Harmada's legs were pool noodles, the prison chair trundled along on a little train track.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Guy A. Person posted:

Ah-ha! of course you hated a movie where a big spider got killed if you're also a bug! way to gently caress up and let your bias show!

These must be those unreasonable criticisms that are giving the thread a bad name.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Nephthys posted:

I pin it on the director because I don't think any of those other characters should be in the movie, even if they get an extra 15 minutes each. The movie would be much stronger if they were removed and it focused on the characters we already know instead. You could easily replace their roles in the story with the robot and soldier guy and save the extra hour or use it for something more interesting.

It's also a part 1 though and has to serve as setup for the second half.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

It's definitely my least favourite trend of 2023, and every film that's tried it has suffered pretty badly for it in the "being cinema" league table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

I bring exciting filler information from the novelisation! The book opens with an origin story for the imperial soldier who tries to help Sam, where his father was a King who harboured the Bloodaxes and was executed by Admiral Noble, who kidnapped him for the Realm. After the fight he announces that he was never one of them and never could be. Kora suggests to Hagen before she leaves that the two of them go salvage the ship she arrived in.