Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Saw this today, and while I enjoyed it, it’s hard to recommend that anyone see this version before the directors cut comes out because it’s is extremely obviously cut to pieces to hit the PG13 rating and 2 hour run time.

minor spoilers: The most glaring issues from the shorter run time and rating show up almost immediately. The first big fight of the movie FEELs like i should be watching something incredibly violent but has these incredibly jarring cuts at the very last moment of every kill presumably because 1 or 2 seconds longer shows the actual result of what Kora is doing to people.

Narratively the runtime gives the characters 0 room to breathe or really do anything. The cast is just racing from planet to planet immediately picking up a new crew member who if we’re lucky gets maybe a fight scene and 3 lines of dialogue. interaction between the crew that isn’t the lead giving an exposition dump is virtually non-existent.

I have 0 clue why they didn’t just release the full cut right off the bat. This feels like a worse hack job than theatrical BVS but I had way more fun with that at least because it felt like Bruce Wayne’s Very Scary Knightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Going back to the trailers that got released too it’s obvious that quite a bit of content that seemed to be backstory for several crew members was just left out of this cut entirely so the movie has these incredibly awkward sections where they just show up on a planet for 5 minutes and go “hey wanna join this suicide resistance mission?” “ok”

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

josh04 posted:

But similar to the breakneck pacing of The Creator, I don't really see how that's a problem. Sometimes there's just a cool dude about who's totally up for it.

I’d be fine with that if the cool dudes got literally anything to do. If you get recruited in this movie you’re lucky if you get more than like 5 lines of dialogue and one short action scene. They basically become non-entities after their introductions.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

No Mods No Masters posted:

This is very devil's advocate, but I suppose that is itself embeded in the star wars DNA at this point. I mean han solo ended the saga mostly standing in front of a door, to say nothing of very similar failings in rogue one

It feels even more egregious here unfortunately. Djimon Hounsou in particular gets it really rough in this cut.

He’s talked up as arguably the most important person to recruit for the mission and when they finally do get him, it happens in about two minutes and he just sort of sits in a space ship for the rest of the movie, fires a gun like once. He’s another character that seemed to have a ton of flashback material in the trailer that is just completely absent in this version of the movie

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

lots of moons in this movie and very little rebels

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

everytime the movie seems like it’s about to go somewhere cool it feels like a netflix exec hit a comically large “delete” button so they could just keep the plot moving at 120mph

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

he’s barely in the movie but he’s pretty cool