Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

How long the director's cut is supposed to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I was promised black jack and hookers. Does the movie feature them?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

No Luck Needed posted:

So you have a giant space warping ship and come to dominate a village of 500 for 10,000 bushels of "grain" that part is very much "shut your brain off" moment. Toss some Imperial Soldiers in the space port, make it seem like the Empire is putting their boot on this moon.
It's the same "the planet actually has, like, one city and that's it" of a lot of SF movies.

Watching it right now. The village stuff was nice. My main complain for now it's that clot of slow mo in the fights that didn't make any narrative sense.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

- The bird sequence was really nice stuff. Even more the ending.
- The fight against the spider woman thing was completely nonsensical. Pure trash.
- WAY to go, Gunnar!
- Ok, this fights was really confusing and messy.

In the end, the storytelling is interesting, I really liked the vibes and the SF tech and worldbuilding in general, there is some nonsensical stuff here and there but I don't think it's a problem.
All the characters that are not Kora or Gunnar are incredibly underdeveloped. You don't really need very deep characters in a movie like this, you want them just to be likeable, to do cool stuff and/or to die in a cool, heroic way, but outside their introduction they really where kinda just there. Titus in particular is completely irrelevant, basically a living prop. Since this is only part one, though, I expect more. I read people saying about them having flashbacks int he longer cut, but I'd prefer if they just did something relevant in the story (also, I must say, I'm not a fan of flashbacks as a storytelling device for a movie).
The fights were probably the most boring part. I really didn't care for most of them. The fistfight at the end was good though.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

josh04 posted:

Well, why didn't the village in seven samurai hand over a large amount of bird feed?

Because they asked for rice.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I want to go back to what I think is nonsensical (but I want to stress that for me it's not a big deal). It's not the actions, it's the scale. The world is too empty. The admiral commanding a "world destroying" ship, of this impossibly huge machine that keep whole worlds under their heel, visits a village to ask for grain? And that happens to be same village where there are the most wanted woman in the universe and a farmer that personally knows the leaders of the interplanetary insurrection?
It's movie logic, it doesn't really hold up to scrutiny.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Dec 23, 2023

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Majkol posted:

Again, Star Wars.

Sure. That's why I said that it's not a big deal. But again, let's not pretend that it makes sense.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

McCloud posted:

A Rebel Moon, if you will

That would mean 100 people are a moon.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Caros posted:

The worst example of this bad choreography is the spider. Their climactic duel comes to a close as she chokes the life out of her opponent and... She is stabbed in the chest. By the laser swords her opponent was holding the whole fight. The ending of that fight only worjs if you, like the spider, lack object permanence.
That was my breaking point too. That whole fight didn't make any sense.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Rabelais D posted:

The early shot of Kora farming in front of the moon beats anything in Villeneuve's Dune. Gorgeous movie.
Really? I found the the whole scene of her with the planet behind her really fake and flat. In fact, that initial shot is probably my least favorite of the movie.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

That shot of her against the planet by itself is good but the way it cuts from and to it and nothing else in the movie looks like it makes it stick out badly and feel too artificial.

I have no problems with the "touch the earth" idea, but you can reaaaally taste the green screen behind her. It has no depth and the planet is incredibly fake.

JazzFlight posted:

Am I the only person who thought that at the end they were leading to a reveal that the blond girl is really the princess? If they show that in the sequel, they missed a chance to put it at the end as a more interesting cliffhanger.

An interesting idea would be to put the princess on the villains side in the next movie. Honestly, using her as the reason why the Jimmy rebelled would be quite lame.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 25, 2023

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

teagone posted:

I enjoy the aesthetics of both Dune and Rebel Moon, but can understand the why of how someone would prefer one or the other. I'd say Dune is very sterile/neat and minimalist with its visuals, where Rebel Moon is very sweaty/grimey and maximalist. That said, I personally am very partial to how Zack photographs the human form so Rebel Moon wins for me solely on that metric lol. Despite how chopped up his scenes were, I enjoyed Djimon as Titus simply because he looked absolutely ridiculous in the Snyder aesthetic haha.

Oh, I'm a sucker for Villeneuve minimalism in Dune, that for sure.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

josh04 posted:

I bring exciting filler information from the novelisation! The book opens with an origin story for the imperial soldier who tries to help Sam, where his father was a King who harboured the Bloodaxes and was executed by Admiral Noble, who kidnapped him for the Realm. After the fight he announces that he was never one of them and never could be. Kora suggests to Hagen before she leaves that the two of them go salvage the ship she arrived in.

Meh.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

josh04 posted:

If you were "meh" at that you're going to hate this:

Assuming the extended cut follows the novelisation, there's no major structural change in the latter half of the movie. Tarek, Nemesis and Titus are complete vignettes but there's no extended backstory or major missing element. Instead there's lots of time spent with Aris (the soldier) and Sam back at the village, and Jimmy who is learning self-expression. The book also spends lots of time with Noble's second-in-command but that feels like filler. The final battle is a bit incoherent in the Netflix cut because all the big moments are extremely violent.

Yeah, but I would find very funny if after all this speculations the cut parts were really those scenes.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Oh, 100%. The biggest evidence something is wrong with the movie is this rhythm and tone disconnection between the two halves.
I really think the novelization is doing its own stuff.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 28, 2023

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

The Movie: [Staz Nair wrestling sweatily with a drat griffon.]

Me: "Okay, but what is Jimmy up to?"

The griffon wrestling was great, but the character was not really interesting. Not like a rebel robot butler that defies its programming to save a girl, at least.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

The King's Gaze is supposed to be 2 km and half long.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Communist Thoughts posted:

It's gonna be funny when the final cut is released and it doesn't contain any additional characterisation or things that were missing but it contains an extra hour of griffons or sweaty pecs I dunno I haven't seen this one yet.

Like I remember the snyder cut discourse where everyone was talking about how the snyder cut would add in some Lois and Martha characterisation in their cut scene.

And it did and was quite a good scene then it ends with martha transforming into green goblin and winking at the camera, making it even worse than the boiiiiing whedon original in terms of female characterisation, in a way no one could have predicted.

I want the rebel moon equivalent of that

I'm half expecting a bunch of cut establishing shots, the attempted rape scene going much further, and also battles twice as long and much, much gorier. And that's it.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

teagone posted:

According to a recent interview with Snyder, the extended cut will have a completely different opening focused entirely on Nobel.

The Swedish chemist, inventor, engineer and businessman?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Isn't just that with those lens only the center of the scene is on focus?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Yeah, all in all, it's just a mediocre movie (at least the current version). At least Star Wars ST had a potentially good starting point movie, a fanbase breaker movie, and a horrible fever dream movie, they surely more interesting to talk than this.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I REALLY don't see the 40k influence

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Jimbot posted:

I might do a movie battle between Rebel Moon and Magnificent Seven. It's easier to do than Seven Samurai because it's shorter but it's also more fresh in my memory (it's on Prime if you have it). Magnificent Seven and Reble Moon has a lot of their characters in the same kind of circumstances too. I think some folks may be setting themselves up for disappointment if they're hoping the real cut fills up the recruitment process. I think it'll flesh out the lead up to them (such as the movie jumping to the group sharing and elevator with Nemesis, skipping over the initial meeting) and jarring things like that but the rapid-fire back-to-back recruitment is just an aspect of this kind of film.

Just as a quick example that ties those two films together: Robert Vaughn's character in Magnificent Seven has the same recruitment process as Djimon Hounsou's character in Rebel Moon - they're both in not good situations and join up after a quick conversation. One lured by 20 dollars, the other with revenge. People complained how brief the encounter with Titus since he has an established level of importance the other recruits don't have but I don't think we'll get much backstory on him until the second film where it makes more sense to draw parallels between the first time he lead people against the empire, now leading these farmers against it and the lessons he learned from the mistakes he made.

I theorize that because the editing in the first half of the film's action sequences cut out the violence it creates this disconnect between the film and the viewer. Your brain notices these weird gaps and it stays that way for the entire film. What are simply genre conventions become holes and what you think may be missing was never there to begin with. But there are also obvious things missing so it reinforces that feeling and leaves you cold.

My problem is less the recruitment and more how the characters are a giant nothing. I don't want flashbacks I want characters that are not 'just there'. TMS has a lot of character interactions, be it between the Seven, between them and the village, or between them and the bad guys.

Again, this is half of the story so I hope there is something more in the second part.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 4, 2024

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

McCloud posted:

Also I don't know how you can see this and not see the comparison to 40K.

Mostly because when I think about 40k I think about this type of aesthetic:

Yeah, sure, the guys wearing nazi-like uniforms resemble the 40k guys wearing nazi-like uniforms, who knew.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 4, 2024

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

Now I'm actually wonderin' if I even LIKE kings, man.

ZS sure does, 5/7 of the casts are kings or monarchy supporters. Which is yet another reason why in the novel the whole "the repented stormtrooper is actually the son of a king, that infiltrated the army for vengeance" is really frustrating.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jan 11, 2024

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

In the long version we find that the short version is an inconsequential side plot of the real story. Noble was the real protagonist all along.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

wyoming posted:

Also talks a bit about how he's writing a King Arthur-esqe tale set in the wild west.

Isn't that just the Roland Deschain background story?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

What a senseless waste of cinematography.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

The main problem is that the action is a confusing boring mess, and that the movie is action for the 75% of its time.
Also lol at "and now, the night before the big battle, let's share our backstories!"

I have no idea how could there be an extended version because this one already felt 40 minutes too long.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Apr 20, 2024

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Also, the first movie had many interesting worldbuilding idea. This one had a really, really dull setting.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

josh04 posted:

It's the same setting lol

And where is the stuff like the puppeteer aliens, the spider women, the griffins, the giant gladiator arenas, the bizarre mental techno-connections?

The only interesting things was the giant woman head in the ship and Jimmy.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

A world destroyer!

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

wyoming posted:

almost as neat as wheat!

But the king has a change of heart, and so he let his daughter, the messiah, to name "pacifier" this new ship POWERED BY THE STOLEN POWERS OF AN ENSLAVED BIOMECHANICAL GODDESS.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

why would you assume that the disconnect between tech levels is a mistake? it's a movie, not a Let's Play of Civilization

"cause it was like a glimpse into a better movie"

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

What? They build the last dreadnought like 13 years ago, how can they "barely know how to use the tech they have" if they freaking built It?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

checkplease posted:

More on this as it's good stuff, you can imagine much of the empire tech is simply taken from worlds they conquered. It's why there's a mix of big battleship like guns and astral plane resurrection pods. Or coal and enslaved goddesses.

I seriously doubt it. The military superiority of the Realm it's all because Motherworld learned how to capture and enslave the Kali, all their almost supernatural tech is powered by their infinite energy. The whole stagnation started after the death of the Royal family, 13 years ago.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Apr 22, 2024

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I think the whole three day timeline was a little too compressed. The farmers harvested the crop in a third of the time they usually needed, AND they were trained to the point of being able to fight, AND they prepared a network of boobytrapped trenches, AND they recovered Kora ship? It's not a big deal, but it's also not very credible.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Apr 22, 2024

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

(the dirty secret is that 50% of the original SW movie was Seven Samurai already)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Nah, maybe at the beginning, but nobody cares about this movie.