Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

AI art trends to have aesthetic and mechanical flaws that are noticeably different from the mistakes that artists make. It would be weird and noteworthy for an ostensibly human-produced movie to include those markers.

Meanwhile, the economic threat represented by the trend of its adoption is all too familiar, since it's just the newest instance of the same old exploitation of artists.

Anyone using the term "AI-generated" in a serious review should at least do so in such a way as to indicate that they know what the gently caress they're talking about. However, being conspicuously illiterate in criticism of "genre" media - whether favorable or unfavorable - is part of how the cultural establishment reinforces itself. This holds the same whether the author actually doesn't know what AI means for the field they're supposedly an expert in, or they're simply operating under an editorial mandate to use glibness and buzzwords to attract ad impressions. It's on the same level as boggling that it depicts extraterrestrials speaking English or whatever - just a way to show contempt by implying it's not worth taking seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

When is the director's cut being released, anyway? Looks like the holidays will be busy so if it's not too far away I might just wait for it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sounds like they're releasing a two-hour trailer in a couple days.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

At this time, would you suggest skipping the 2-hour cut and waiting for the real version next summer, or just watching it now?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Perhaps, but the complaint was that it harms the movie by being distractingly unbelievable, not by being uninteresting.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Farg posted:

this was a deeply cynical movie, which makes sense considering the director

In what way?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

You need suspension of disbelief to keep your pants of disbelief from falling down.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

You're telling me that they made a space opera movie that's derivative? Why, such a thing is unprecedented.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I mean, have you ever touched wheat? Don't knock it until you've tried it.

I should have a chance to watch this in a few days.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Farg posted:

not gonna waste my time just to get picked apart by culties...

If you did not wish to discuss cinema, why have you come to Cinema Discusso?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

In fairness, I am a cult member. I've got the gang tag and everything.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Roth posted:

What does the thoughtful use of slo-mo look like?

slow

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think that the makers of action movies almost definitionally put a lot of thought into how to make things look cool. Isn't looking cool what action as a genre is all about?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

No Luck Needed posted:

the Weekly Planet pointed out that A Bug's Life is a better version of seven samurai than Rebel Moon

I find this believable. A Bug's Life is a very good movie, and it sounds like this version of Rebel Moon Part 1 is pretty heavily compromised.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

So what are people getting mad about, again? There’s absolutely nothing objectionable here.

As always, they're getting mad about Man of Steel (2013).

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Watchmen the movie was in conversation with earlier superhero movies in a similar way to how Watchmen the comic was in conversation with earlier superhero comics. The Ozymanipples are the Batnipples again. This conversation has convinced me to watch the short, clean version of Rebel Moon Part 1, perhaps even as soon as tomorrow.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Staggering the releases keeps people maintaining their subscriptions (and getting hooked on other comment) while they wait for the next part, and it also means that they don't need for the VFX studio to finish the entire thing in order to start having content.

What's weird is that Netflix is doing this with a movie, while notoriously doing just the opposite with designed-to-be-episodic seasons of television.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Disney buyout had not been finalized or announced when Snyder made his pitch to Lucasfilm, I'm pretty sure.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Now I'm actually wonderin' if I even LIKE kings, man.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Those are all travel gods, not agriculture gods, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

is this movie celiac friendly