Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

garycoleisgod posted:

It's also a film that asks what if Han Solo stuff < Those are massive end of movie spoilers.

gently caress sake, people read from left to right.

teagone posted:

hyperviolent

You use this word everytime you mention the longer cut, I hope theres more to it than just that from the reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

ok I don't know poo poo about any of this. here is my big review:

I watched this with a lot of this thread's complaints in mind, and I could recognise them. I dunno if I would have done if I hadn't had people make me think about it beforehand.

It was like an AI wrote it.

Regarding the I dunno big weird sky backgrounds or whatever. Nonsense, looks lovely.

There are some talky bits where its like yeah lol noone talks like that but then I live in a pleasant little village where my main complaint is the prebaked bread at budgens being a bit poo poo so I'm cool with all these people lamenting the 1000year empire loving things up. Although I kind of do live in that world actually if i think about it.

Maybe I think some of the slomo is kind of a bit incomplete cos theres supposed to be more that would sort of complement it? but its waiting for the next version? Netflix should maybe offer a feature where it speeds up the slomo to normalmo if you so desire.

I loved so many of the characters that I can absolutely see people being pissed off with not seeing more of them and I hope we do.

Like not even necessarily characters so much but some i dunno the term character dynamics? This could be in reference to this movie ripping off all sorts of other sources which yeah it does but isnt that like an homage? I liked that the soldiers left in the village weren't just a bunch of robotic rapists, they had a whole story going on there. Like it reminds me a bit of sharpe (for the brits) but also all sorts of modern iraq etc warfare movies wheres theres characters and tension between them. I though it was sold well.

The baddies trip into the village was tense and awkward as hell.

I thought there were quite a lot of establishing shots, like spaceships landing in places with the place literally names on screen. It reminded me a bit of guardians of the galaxy in that respect and I would like someone smarter to reflect on that. I suppose it could be what people dont like. as In theres no interplay on the spaceship between these disperate characters. Like no discussion about where to drive the spaceship or whose in charge.

About the grain. Like I guess assume the bad guy went to a bunch of places and demanded unreasonable things from a bunch of people just to shake things up and use his agents to follow up on the outcome and track down people that way. Like the assistant guy says, one of our dudes found this and the grabby prisoner crab robots were shown to be in the possession of other bounty hunters earlier. like maybe the mining village also got a visit, the refinery village, etc.

What I would quite like in the sequel is a shawn of the dead homage(ripoff) where kora bumps into an old buddy who settled in the mining village and marches her crew past their perfectly mirrored crew of reprobates set out to take the empire down.

I did think the end battle was a bit lame and got confused alot. But I'm not getting any younger and have been drinking even more than usual for xmas. Like it seemed like there must be a missing cut where they walked away all the other magnificent seven in their uptight neckbrace carry crabs before gunnar did his heroics so they didnt end up directly in the firing line of the ensuing shootout. Ban solo literally says this just before, move them incapacitated, but we dont see it.

Like maybe it will be a bit more like starwars in the sequel if they can have a medal ceremony and jimmy and the eagle not get one.

Overall I think its just a bit sad if everyone hates it and we dont get more things like this.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jimbot posted:

I'm no fan of "It's like an AI wrote it"

Lol I just stuck that in near the start to annoy that poster that hates it cos I'm a massive wind up merchant

otherwise genuinely my thoughts

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Having defeated the baddies our heros go and sit on a beach planet drinking cocktails for 6 space months or whatever it was.

Before popping over to the isolated village desperately trying to harvest the promised grain in fear for their very lives.

Oh?!? Lol? Did we not say? We killed those guys ages ago don't worry about it.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

There's like a 95% chance that the spider monster's going to have nipples, so get ready for that.

organic webshooters? very sam Raimi