Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No Mods No Masters posted:

That's an even dumber reason than I thought given the context of zack "the 4 hour zack snyder cut, by zack snyder" snyder

and even dumber people will binge entire seasons of tv shows in a day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ghosthotel posted:

lots of moons in this movie and very little rebels

That’s no moon

That’s a rebel

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That poster ain’t wrong. It was a bad idea

The whole allure of the Snyder cut was a big greedy (racist) studio destroying an artists vision and seeing it restored lovingly and proving that the studio was completely wrong to “fix” the film

This is just double dipping for no real reason.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m gonna do asmr through it

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I didn’t like this. I wanted too but it gave me nothing to latch on to. I tried too but no one clicked for me and they just seemed to exist. I didn’t like the structure of them meeting someone and them doing an action scene thing. I felt like it didn’t have the fun of what a recruiting scene like that usually has.

But it also had a bunch of other issues too that in hindsight just frustrated me. Like how the world building felt super random and didn’t add much to the story.
Like the squid creature at the bar. It’s cool! I like it! But what does it mean? Who are these things that take over people as puppets? Are they threats? Idk, stuff like that I wish was more incorporated into the universe more.

Here’s my biggest issue tho, and one that’s gonna rile people up.

I don’t think Zack should be a DP. I think it does more harm to the film than good.

Honestly the movie looked mostly kind of ugly and smeary with that stupid lens which honestly Doesn’t work for me here. It really made it hard to soak in the details of the world.

There was some great shots every 5 meh shots. But I think the biggest offense that being your DP/Director brought is the acting.

The acting was pretty horrific at times from actors who are very established as awesome. There was a scene early on with Corey Stoll where it sounded like he flubbed his like but they kept it. Idk. Zack usually has solid acting in his films, so this was a bit jarring to me.

So yeah. I didn’t like it sorry. I’ll watch the directors cut and skip the part 2 until they release it’s directors cut.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Majkol posted:

I'm cool with people not liking it, but this is such a weird criticism. Sometimes there are just strange greebly guys. They are cool. There was a dozen of them in the cantina in Star Wars. Your bff James Gunn had a bunch of weird guys in every GotG without going into detail about what their deal is. It establishes that humans are not the only sentient species in the universe.

Look how personal you made this because I didn't like this movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

teagone posted:

Don't be like twitter, CP. You're better than that.

???

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Guy A. Person posted:

I don’t think calling Gunn your bff is intended as a personal insult there, you’ve made it clear how much of a fan you are. If someone said Zack was my bff I’d just be like “man I wish

It absolutely was a slight homie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

we all love wurm

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

it's the lens he used. honestly it didnt bother me in Army of the Dead because to me, that film is really a artists catharsis. It's Zack coming off of tragedy, and the horrible JL experience and just going you know what I want to try this and this and this and I don't care. And maybe it doesn't work. Maybe it does. But it doesn't matter because it was a joy to see an artist play.

So the weird lens? Idk if it works thematically or whatever and Idk even know if it worked super well. But hey, guy played.

This? Idk. It didn't feel right. I wish it was used more sparingly,.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

edit resolved lol

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 22, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I do want to know why the grain was super important in this universe.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

tbh not even joking i would totally buy into them getting the grain bc it makes you super hot and ripped af. that would be badass.

The sickly nazis need the grain to get gains

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah that just didn't work for me I guess. I know villains are evil and do bad stuff but it just felt a little like weak. Usually when villians show up to take over a small innocent town it's because they have a resource that is unique to their home, or they need property or something.

It also bugged me that the city miles way didn't seem too bothered by the evil guys showing up, but it's possible I missed something there.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Martman posted:

Like, I think there's a level where portraying politics realistically makes a movie look extremely stupid, because real life governments are extremely stupid

Correct. It doesn't always make for a compelling story. Even if it's horrifically true.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My issue with the slow mo is it doesn't feel like it's showing me anything cool. It's just showing someone leap once, or slam into a wall. Or shoot a gun.

Slow mo works when the focal character does something really cool and we can take that in. An example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeK-d553Mjk&t=227s
Whenever he strikes, it lets you soak it in.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

teagone posted:

I thought the sowing seeds in slow motion was awesome.

yeah stuff like this is good slow mo. and the teeth. i just found the action scenes used it a bit too randomly for me.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

the worst movie ive ever seen is the elm street remake. there are worse films with worse ideas and worse qualities.

but they didnt offend me like the elm street remake. what a stupid boring movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

the flash was horrific and weird. dial was so boring. A complete waste of money and time.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Blood Boils posted:

Studios keep trying to think of ways to gently caress him but he's too many steps ahead, love it

It was part of the plan

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

it is but I guess I didn’t think rebel moon’s fight scenes looked that cool. I really think he did slow mo better in his other films before Netflix. Maybe it’s because he’s shooting it he’s getting caught up in the moment? I don’t know.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jimbot posted:

Not a fan of this regression to being a bunch of puritans over sex in media. Those marvel movies are the most sexless things ever produced and it positioned far too many people to think like this.

It’s bc of two things. Me too, and kids watching movies with their parents not realizing they can watch Oppenheimer by themselves

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m with you. having such a creature show up and leave was real bad.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Pacific Rim is one of my favorite movies. Same with the Hellboys.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Famethrowa posted:

My only beef with Del Toro is that Shape of Water was a pretty medicore Best Picture winner but I just substitute Pans Labyrinth in my head and go about my day.

It’s one of the best of all time because it’s a creature feature with fuckin. This makes it better than coda or green book

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Blood Boils posted:

All these ST defenders making me truly question my sicko status

Y’all just hypocrites fr

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

straight up no goddamn cap bro

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

alright

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kinda funny tho. Liquid Death has that tongue firmly in cheek.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

thats not beer, its water

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Pointless movie. I’ll wait for the dlc

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I read somewhere that Snyder regards the PG-13 version as 'almost an alternate universe version' of the R-rated cut. Not sure what that even means, precisely. Possibly the R cut has a lot more focus on sexual violence, aka, good filmmaking as far as Snyder is concerned.

i like mr snyder, but the guy just yaps.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I mean he’s proven twice that his longer cuts vastly improve everything

It’s just dumb I have to wait and it feels artificial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jimbot posted:

Above all else, I think the release strategy netflix has adopted for this project is awful. Just let the man cook and release

He is cooking. This is what he wants.

Idk it’s kind of soured me on his work overall because I feel like he can’t deliver a decent “hacked” cut any more. He knows that if he does X it won’t be as marketable or whatever but he still does X but then he also tries to cut it out anyway which ruins it.

He knew going into this that Netflix wanted a pg-13 version for Christmas (which makes no sense because Bright was rated R, released on Christmas and was a huge hit for them) and made the edited versions just so unsatisfying.

I just don’t get it.