Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
the circle sword sweep against the ground before the spider lady attacked was very zack snynder-eques that it made me laugh. Like why would anyone, even if they have lightsabers, would make a circle on the ground like that? It was only to show off, is that a thing this character does? is this a show-off style character? I dont know. The added soldiers did not have personality. The Conan guy, the sword lady, the gladiator were all super under whelming. It is like Zack Snyder has gotten bored with introducing characters and just wants to do "cool stuff." The spider ladies motivation of not having a child was oddly done, so the humans have destroyed the spider world for cobalt. Ok got that. Spider lady wants a child. Ok got that. The whole set up of spider lady kidnapping a child so that the farmer can help rescue the child was so lackluster that it was very paint my numbers. The imperials also only leaving soldiers at the village and not the Space Port was very laughable. So you have a giant space warping ship and come to dominate a village of 500 for 10,000 bushels of "grain" that part is very much "shut your brain off" moment. Toss some Imperial Soldiers in the space port, make it seem like the Empire is putting their boot on this moon.

A paint by numbers movie would be good and fine but it seems like Snyder is skipping numbers to get to what he wants to film. I would have liked Seven Samurai but in space, but it did not deliver on the soldiers. Maybe this film would be better as rated-R but it would probably be better as a TV-show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

YggdrasilTM posted:

It's the same "the planet actually has, like, one city and that's it" of a lot of SF movies.

Watching it right now. The village stuff was nice. My main complain for now it's that clot of slow mo in the fights that didn't make any narrative sense.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Well the other thing is that village probably drew their attention because Gunnar went and sold their surplus harvest to the Bloodaxes.

It's shown that Noble's people are pulling on a lot of threads in that area of space.

these go together, the Village was targeted before any bounty hunters were introduced to the story. If the Admiral had said "we want the grain, the vegetables, the livestock, we want it all" that makes more sense, we want "grain" ok dude, here is 10,000 bushels of millet. You didnt say what kind of grain. I can grow Flax in 90 days, maybe faster on a fantasy space moon. Come back for your 10,000 bushels of bird feed.

it is dumb that in sci-fi a planet has only one "big city" it is also dumb that they waste rocket fuel on gathering grain. It is like Snyder wanted to do Seven Samurai, did word replace "grain" for "rice" and didnt think a second thought about it.

great point here

No Mods No Masters posted:

It does seem like a bit of a missed opportunity, especially if there are no aliens on the crew, especially considering how consistently lame the handling of aliens has been in disney star wars also.

People have been noting the 40K and dune influences a lot, but those are settings where the aliens are pretty darn fleshed out and important and not really just randomly there. All in all I kinda see the complaint

this is amazing, in Star Wars you dont think about aliens at all. The Empire vs the Rebels is a human conflict. Aliens are only introduced as Rebels in the third movie. Making aliens set dressing does really make this space fantasy low rent. It is like the spider-lady, is she a native to the cobalt mining planet? Then all humans are the bad guys to her. The Star Wars prequals added more aliens in politics, jedi, sith, and made them more part of the story. Star Wars is still a human story in all 3 trilogies. Maybe "the last starfighter" did alien race and war the best

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

Lt. Danger posted:

they don't even need to trick the fascists by giving them bird feed. they could just lie and say there is no grain at all. that would definitely work. why didn't they try that?

better yet if they did change the fascists' motives. it would have made more sense if the fascist leader had said "I want everything" verbatim in the movie. perhaps another character, like the lead, could confirm it by saying "they will want to take everything"

you are correct. The point was to scare the villagers into complying.

the grain problem is a problem of world building. Is this moon part of the Human Empire? Do these people own this land? if they own it, where is the deed registered? is it with the Human Empire? Why would moon farmers not want to help the Human Empire? does the Human Empire not helping moon farmers? is this an illegal moon farm? are moon farmers separatists? are they Human citizens? Why is the Empire bad? How do Moon people know about this bad empire? Why cant the Humans make new robots? Do aliens also make robots?

the movie is interesting but also too shallow

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
the Weekly Planet pointed out that A Bug's Life is a better version of seven samurai than Rebel Moon

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
the grain is a metaphor for... grain