Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

robot roll call posted:

didn't these negative reviewers see that he made a special lens for this movie? does that mean nothing to these people?

There's a Red Letter Media thread in GBS you will be more at home posting in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Seeing it tonight at the Egyptian Theater and will hopefully get a selfie with Zack Snyder

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Guy A. Person posted:

Killers of the Flower Moon: Abridged

The plot of that movie is literally 'Screw the rules I have money'

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Having just seen the theatrical version, I do not expect the Director's Cut to meaningfully add much to the plot itself. It's a very straight forward story, and if you weren't sold on Zack Snyder's riff on Seven Samurai and Star Wars then I'm not expecting your mind to be changed by a three hour version. It does feel like some more scenes characterizing each member of the crew are likely what was cut.

However, for me the appeal is seeing the interpretation of these things by Zack Snyder, and we get a fast paced intro film that proudly wears its influences on its sleeve, and while a lot of complaints seem to be that it's off brand Star Wars I would also point out that means it's Star Wars without being trapped by Star Wars canon. It's free to focus entirely on its own new characters and action set pieces without having to stop everything for the triumphant return of Clone Commander Bly.

It's a fun, cool and stylish movie, and I suspect the Director's Cut and Part 2 will have more to chew on.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

PS I appreciate all the space nazi guys had Zod's awful haircut from Man of Steel

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Saw X owns

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't think you need to put too much thought into it. They're a small farming community that can't fight back. Of course the space nazis are going to take everything they have because they can get away with with ease.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Papercut posted:

It's the worst movie I've ever seen

Please watch more movies before posting in this forum

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

drat I love recommendations for mainstream media that came out this year we got a conniseur on our hands here

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Papercut posted:

You seem to be taking this personally lol

No I just like ribbing

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Blood Boils posted:

Now now, it's a lotta fun when peeps make insane posts, I don't want that to stop. Plus, effective communication is a learning process - the "why is the empire bad? How do the spaceships work? Why do they eat bread instead of rice? Why is dirt brown?" guy clearly needs someone to get him to hold up and reflect on why these bizarre questions are even occurring to him, and we're just the goons for the job!

I'm employing tactical realism but for posting

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Even among big mainstream movies this year The Flash and Dial of Destiny are far more miserable experiences to sit through, and I suspect all the MCU movies I didn't see are too.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

If I were in a shootout I would have simply landed a quad kill with headshots.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Your issue is a cinema sin critique of "They missed shots"

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

H13 posted:

Thank you for explaining my own argument to me. I thought I knew what I was talking about but here you are explaining what I actually meant instead!

I'd heard the reputation of Snyder fanboys, but christ is this really what they're like? Are you actually this bad?

You should try saying something interesting instead because complaining about the bad guys not being able to kill the main character because of a tv trope is the most banal poo poo, and should not be taken remotely seriously by anyone.

Also I'm a girl.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Those guys already get large budgets to make movies.

One of them is also a pedophile.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Benson Cunningham posted:

Which one? Kind of useless to take the moral high ground then not give useful information to people who don't want to support horrible people.

Luc Besson which I had thought was already common knowledge

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Lol I just noticed the "I could make a movie better than this" good luck dude I'm rooting for ya

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

H13 posted:

Each time you re-watch a movie, it is less enjoyable compared to the previous time you watched it.

This...is one of the most obvious statements ever?

What? No it's not

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Farg posted:

not gonna waste my time just to get picked apart by culties...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Welcome to being probed for the next two weeks instead :twisted:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

kalel posted:

jesus you're thick. obviously, the fact that that scene looks fake and dumb is a commentary on star wars ripoffs looking fake and dumb

It helps if you mock what people have actually said just fyi

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

McCloud posted:

Well here's the thing, there are plenty of people who didn't like the movie who didn't get any flack because they posted thoughtful or genuine reviews. The people who do get pushback are the ones who post stupid poo poo like "Zack's fascist sensibilities" or arguing about loving grain for 3 pages or how the movie is bad because the stormtroopers miss their targets. It's cinemasins-level bullshit. Since you're not a regular here you might not be aware that we got an obnoxious amount of these types of disingenious hot takes and drive by shitposting so at this point we just don't offer the benefit of the doubt to the more extreme hot takes, and it's usually pretty easy to tell which is which.

Actually I plan to let Snyder fans call people slurs and everyone who has rated the movie lower than 3.5 on letterboxd will have a month + ban queued with a message to never post in Cine D ever again.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Vintersorg posted:

The cross forums drama is pretty annoying to be quite honest.

Who gives a gently caress but it’s annoying importing drama. It’s not like you can talk behind peoples backs - anyone can go in either seeing people talking about each other.

But the mods encourage it and makes the entire forum a toxic cesspool. Who is more guilty of it tho?

It’s kinda lovely that someone dislikes you because of a director you enjoy. When said directors only “crime” is making movies you don’t like.

Seriously I don't see people here going over to the RLM thread to annoy them and run back here while MacheteZombie encourages it.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Holy poo poo

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

baalaagaa posted:

Watched this nursing a Christmas hang over but Disney was right to pass on this unoriginal seven samurai in space.
The fight choreography was dire, obvious gently caress ups were left in. Does Zack not believe in multiple takes?

What obvious gently caress ups are you referring to?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

What does the thoughtful use of slo-mo look like?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Mega Comrade posted:

Nolan uses it as a story telling device in a lot of his films.
Dredds use was also interesting.
300 used it to bring gravitas and weight to particular scenes.

Then you have films like the resident evil series that just throw into the middle of most of the action scenes with no thought other than "looks cool" because the action scenes themselves are not interesting.

If you are making an action movie why would you not use techniques like slow motion to make the action look cool if that is your intent?

I assure you the makers of action films aren't thinking less about their shot composition and filming jusy because their intent is less thought provoking.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

josh04 posted:

Worse than the film with the same concept created by history's greatest animation studio on the cusp of their unprecedented run of commercial and artistic success, you say?

A Bug's Life is awesome but as it is animated it is not cinema however.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

ozmunkeh posted:

It's unfair to compare Rebel Moon to a good movie is some kind of incredible take I was simply not prepared for today.

Who said it was unfair?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The problem is that the complaints are so often vague and poorly described that we often are confused what people are even talking about.

Somebody posted obvious mistakes were left in and didn't elaborate as if everyone is on the same page as them. Another person posted about the slo-mo being lazy and meaningless but didn't bother using an example from the film to elaborate their point.

Nobody's saying you can't be bored by the movie or dislike it, I couldn't stand Force Majeure at all and found it to be an excruciating two hours to sit through. But, I'm not about to confidently post vague complaints about slow pacing and get pissed off when people remain unconvinced.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Snyder is very popular

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Nodoze posted:

A lot of people enjoy spectacle with zero substance

Go read a book

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

To me the issue is that Disney Star Wars is taking inspiration from Star Wars itself so it's just retelling and referencing its own stories. Star Wars under Lucas was a remix of his various interests into something new. You can see this in a video where they go over ship designs.

The OT and PT have them talking about various influences Geoge Lucas had and liked, and thematic reasons for why ships are designed that way. Then they get to the stuff Disney has produced and they can barely say more than "We added some little details to the X-Wing".

Rebel Moon wears its influences on its sleeve, but it is also remixing Star Wars and Kurosawa with Warhammer 40K and Heavy Metal to try making something that's uniquely Snyder's take on it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

If only the fascist empire was rational in how it opresses people Rebel Moon.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

JazzFlight posted:

I know the goon response to any criticism of this movie is more "stop nitpicking / you're focusing on the wrong things / again with the grain???" so...
Can I ask what the good parts of this movie are? Like, how is this a good movie? Any part of this that actually makes you think afterwards and come away with a new experience?

I'm genuinely curious, because this movie has 18% on Rotten Tomatoes, so I don't think I'm alone in thinking it's bad?

I watch a bunch of old horror, action, and martial arts movies that don't exactly make me think beyond "That was a sick and fun movie" why would it bother me if Rebel Moon is giving me similar thoughts?

Also who cares what Rotten Tomatoes thinks? I have not "agreed" with many of the 'tomatometer' ratings from the poor reviews Snyder generally gets to the praise for Marvel movies, Rian Johnson movies, and Everything Everywhere All at Once. Why should I care now?

Roth fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

What can I say, I don't like poo poo cinema and it really didn't make me think or feel like I watched a new experience that I couldn't get from Rick & Morty.