Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Martman posted:

personally I do not believe that Zack Snyder is a fully formed and executed vision

I dunno, have you SEEN the guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Turning on the pulp sci-fi movie of a director known primarily for his visuals as "background noise" is a bad idea.

Not the first time goons have been mad at a movie they didn't actually pay attention to.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't know if its the lens or what but I agree with CP, what I've seen of the film looks greasy or blurry or something

It almost looks like 300? I'm not sure what it is

Technically not but they also have their own agenda and region of space that no one's aware of by the end of the last book Frank actually wrote so they may as well be by that point

They've been around a while before that though

It's quite thematically important to Dune that there's no sapient life that isn't human or originating from humans, and the only known alien life of importance are the sandworms. It's a very particular choice, especially from its era of sci-fi, and one point similar to the Foundation series that Dune was in big part a response and foil to. That humans are alone in the universe, and their problems are of their own making. See also Red Dwarf, (most of) Battletech and Gundam for series that despite being very different in setting and tone, make the same choice.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 23, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Martman posted:

In the R rated cut the rebels are all going to moon the bad guys

Worth waiting for

Wonder if encouraging romance among the imperial army is meant to reference the Sacred Band of Thebes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Blood Boils posted:

Tbf to the Star Wars side of things, Rebel Moon is basically "what if the ST didn't blink at it's own brainwashed child soldiers rebelling plot?"

Or "what of the resistance was actually cool and good?"

It would explain a lot if Disney rejected a pitch that would actually make meaningful use of what they'd set up in the sequels.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Okay, that's even funnier.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The trick about making Star Wars that Disney forgot and everyone else remembers is that you SHOULD be ripping off other things to make a Star Wars story, because that's what the setting is for. Like how Star Trek is morality tales and the age of sail in space, and whatever props you have laying around you can reuse. If you start defining them only by what the franchise has already done it becomes incestuous and stale, fast.

Guy A. Person posted:

I admittedly know dick all about Warhammer but what jumps out to me isn't the nazi outfits (because yeah, they're nazis, we get it) but the pistols, which looks a ton like the one Kora has int he movie (brick shaped with the fancy gold trim)

Again, know dick about WH but my understanding was this is just one of the factions (albeit one of the most popular ones and the one that's often used as the face of the brand). I would have imagined there were other things about the aesthetic outside the obvious, like the design of the ships/weaponry/monsters.

One of the things about 40k is that a lot of the various factions have very different aesthetics from each other, sometimes almost to the point of looking like they came out of different genres, both to give the setting great diversity and have lots of obvious counterparts to historical and pop culture armies and factions. (The Imperial Guard are probably the most obvious here, with the Catachans being more or less Vietnam War elementals, the Vostroyans being Cossacks and the Krieg Death Korps being WW1 Germans in the worst hell of trench warfare incarnate) That said, the Imperium in particular has a lot of common motifs and styles across its diverse factions, the overall ornate Space Catholic Nazi aesthetic.

The big blocky guns, especially with ornate decoration, are probably one of the more distinct elements. Funny thing is that the colourful outfits and oversized weapons are giveaways that these characters are designed for miniatures first, so it's easy to identify the faction, role and equipment of an overpriced plastic spaceman only a few centimetres high. (Reminded how Firaxis admitted they used a similar style for the XCOM games with the oversized blocky weapons so you can see at a glance what a soldier is wielding from above)

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 5, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yeah. For instance, James Coburn's Britt character is sketched out in one sequence and it's lean and effective. He's a guy so badass he can bring a knife to a gunfight and win, but principled enough that he only kills when necessary and isn't a braggart or a bully, and Magnificent Seven does it in around 5 minutes with one scene.

Is that the guy who the Mexican kids follow around and he tells them to not diss their fathers for not being gunmen?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Grendels Dad posted:

All this makes sense and can be inferred from the movie, it just seems like Snyder is eternally doomed to not make things clear. Gary Elves gets one scene with audible lines, expressing the hope that things will be different when his daughter rules. Then he gets 2 1/2 scenes of screaming at his troops from his Reichstagstribüne in a stark contrast to his softer tone.

I feel like a lot of people have a tendency to actively misunderstand things in Zack Snyder movies and then get mad at the movies for it. That said, that this movie is basically a contractual obligation to get the movie he wants to make, and at least the third time his stuff's been hacked to pieces by idiots for idiot reasons, it's hard to pin a lot of that on him either.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

300 is technically all exposition.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Maxwell Lord posted:

They need to find a place that grows barley and hops next but it’s probably defended by another runaway super warrior

He who controls the beer controls the universe

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Grendels Dad posted:

Zack Snyder is my son when he didn't clean his room and can't find a specific toy for a scene he has in mind so he'll just take whatever and pretends those cowboys ard actually knights because eh, close enough.

Stephen King?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

At this point movie critics are all clout chasing failkids who desperately want to be ahead of the social media consensus and give the reviews they think make them look smart, not even what they actually think or feel.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Why do people from different cultures and social clades wear different clothes? Why aren't they all in uniform jumpsuits? That's unrealistic, it breaks my immersion.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I wanna see a Star Wars take on Ran or Throne of Blood now.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Apparently we got people even itt that Hollywood seems to be worried about that will complain that a diverse and interesting setting is 'confusing' and 'inconsistent'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The whole Duke Nukem Forever saga is really loving weird in retrospect. I think a lot of it might be because the final game ended up encapsulating 00s insecurity and meanness and came out right about when people had gotten thoroughly sick of that and no longer could even pretend to take it seriously.