Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Well guys, the jig is up. We've probably already kept this going long enough, we aren't going to be able to talk our way out of this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I want to see that percentage as low as possible. If it goes above 50% I'mma explode like the bus from Speed.

When this baby hits single digits...I'm gonna take a serious poo poo

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

checkplease posted:

he’s blockbuster cinema’s first example of the A.I. image generator as auteur

good to see we've graduated from "he's an idiot jock" to "he's a non-sentient machine pumping out nerd candy"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

josh04 posted:

The funny thing is that if you're actually concerned about AI supplanting real artistry, there's nothing more damaging to your cause than saying bad human art is akin to the production of a machine. The bad human art is what you're claiming to value!

It's also not as if cookie-cutter, focus grouped bullshit hasn't already been coming out for decades. Apparently studios literally making the most exec workshopped stuff they can because an algorithm told them it would increase profits by 2% doesn't clear the bar for "AI filmmaking", but one of a increasingly vanishing handful of directors actually pursuing their own vision does because...he uses themes nerds like? Unlike any other big budget studio movie??

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

One thing that is explicitly fascinating to me as I read stuff on the internet today is how somehow it's become just totally normal to see fans of this particular director to be obsessive/pathetic/toxic while people who actively dislike him are seen as the more level headed and sane bunch? And by "active" I mean literally people putting in effort today to post a lot about a movie they have no interest in other than hoping it fails.

Like it makes sense for the fans of someone's movie to post a ton on a day when the movie is released and reviews are coming out, it's obviously also understandable if people who have seen an early screening and thought it sucked to post, or reviewers etc. It seems somewhat bizarre that there is an absolute flood of people delighting in the movie doing poorly, telling fans to "cope" and just generally memeing it up. I'm sure the obvious retort is that "the toxic Snyder fans brought it upon themselves by being so obnoxious" but I think there is a chicken/egg question of which of these phenomenon truly got out of control first.

To use a comparison, I have absolutely no opinion on the Fast and Furious franchise, I cannot for the life of me imagine a scenario where I would go on twitter/reddit/wherever to mock and taunt people if the latest movie got bad reviews. If I truly hated the previous movies (I am mostly just ambivalent to the ones I've seen) I would see not giving any thought to them as a moral victory, I can't picture an entertainment property that wasn't actively vile inspiring this type of effort from me (like we are talking a version of South Park done by Prager U to directly radicalize teenagers into being nazis or something)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Killers of the Flower Moon: Abridged

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Well, they got to me, because I won't bother with this until the longer cuts are out.

hmmm yea this is what I am starting to lean towards, might wait for some Trusted Goon Certified feedback, but this sounds even more slipshod than the BvS theatrical (RIP David Brenner, maybe he could have pulled off a less janky cut). But if BvS Ultimate and ZSJL are any indication, RM:DC will be significantly better.

Weird thing is like he has AotD and MoS which are both under 3 hours and complete "official" cuts -- and MoS might still be my overall fave of his -- so it's not like he is just incapable, but when he wants to indulge boy does he indulge.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Famethrowa posted:

Netflix really believed in the Snyder cut pop huh. they couldn't wait to try it themselves.

they really hosed this one lol. guess I won't bother for a bit.

cool

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I don’t think calling Gunn your bff is intended as a personal insult there, you’ve made it clear how much of a fan you are. If someone said Zack was my bff I’d just be like “man I wish

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Papercut posted:

That's a good question, there are a lot of d-level horror movies my partner watches but I don't even remember the names usually

"this was the worst movie I've ever seen, narrowly edging out several movies so forgettable I can't remember their names"

(for the record I don't care if you don't like the movie, but I do think the whole "worst X ever" thing has been so played out online as to be effectively meaningless, something like "worst movie I saw this year" at least adds a reasonable qualifier)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Papercut posted:

It's because there's a lifetime's worth of bad movies that you'll never think about again, but this is a rare standout that you'll never forget.

Actually the only other thing I can solidly remember is some Yogi Bear movie we walked out of the theaters on in the 80s. That's second place.

See sorry I still translate as "this is a bad movie that I just finished watching minutes ago and I want to use some hyperbole". I doubt when you just watched those forgettable bad movies you thought "this movie was bad but I'll just forget about it in a week anyway so nbd" you were probably saying the same thing.

So now the real test will be posting from your death bed decades from now to prove me wrong!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I'm definitely gonna watch at some point, probably soon cause hell, I got free time, and I'm too impatient to hold out fully until next summer. I do wish they just did the PG and R cuts at once or barring that at least prioritized the extended cut sooner than pt 2, it will be slightly weird watching part 2 then waiting for extended cuts of both

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

H13 posted:

I'd heard the reputation of Snyder fanboys, but christ is this really what they're like? Are you actually this bad?

We’re worse bitch

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

“you know those dangerous Snyder Bros you keep hearing about on the news…”

(makes shitpost belittling your complaint about slow motion)

“…I’m the worst one :unsmigghh:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

That is his real accent.

Omfg that’s priceless if true

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Could someone please map out the diminishing returns of re-watches in graph form? I’m a visual learner

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

sbaldrick posted:

This movie is bad and I can’t tell if those you that like it are joking or not.

The only way this could have worked if it Synder had gone all in on his fascism love

lol yeah it sure can be hard to tell who is being disingenuous!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Flowers for QAnon posted:

As a non CD poster who likes some of Zach Snyder’s stuff, it’s incredibly bizarre to see multiple people levying personal attacks at posters who didn’t like the movie.

Hmmm I’ve seen very few person insults outside of calling people cult members which is a very personal and uncalled for attack :shrug:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I prefer term “sicko” and want that to be respected

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Roth posted:

Seriously I don't see people here going over to the RLM thread to annoy them and run back here while MacheteZombie encourages it.

Look here Roth it’s much more pathetic and embarrassing to like a movie than it is to spend your fuckin Christmas Day invested in cross forums drama lmfao

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It's bizarre the hate this is generating, but I mean I guess what else is new. People are choosing to interpret this as "other directors are ripping off Snyder" which is obviously not what was said nor is "Snyder is the sole inspiration for every thing that comic book movies have done in the past 20 years". Seriously why can't a guy talk about another director he likes, jesus christ haha

Gumball Gumption posted:

lmao, the movie industry is a joke these days. A diet of making nothing but adaptions and reboots have turned their brains into mush. They think they're producing genius by reheating comic stories from 10, 20, or 30 years ago.

Nolan is one of a handful of directors consistently doing completely original work without relying on existing IPs (unless you consider the life story of Robert Oppenheimer an existing IP I suppose) so I don't think that particular bias would apply to him. I also don't necessarily think his comment about "brilliant subversion" equates to the entire film being genius although he clearly thinks highly of it

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

this is cool, thanks for sharing your thoughts

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Gumball Gumption posted:

The brilliant subversion he's seeing is Alan Moore's work and subversion of comics and what they were doing when he was writing Watchmen. It's very goofy and shows you think overly highly of your industry and your peers if he thinks that brilliant subversion came from Snyder when its just the base concept of the work he was adapting. His entire comment is really "boy it would have been cool if Watchmen came out after the movies that remade all those comic stories its subverting and commenting on" which is nothing and has nothing to do with Snyder.

Similar to what I was saying about the other comments, I feel like this is extrapolating a lot in order to get mad at Nolan and by extension Snyder. Like you're absolutely right that essentially all Nolan is really saying is "It would have been cool if Watchmen came out later" but of course that's pretty innocuous, so then you decide that what he means is that Alan Moore doesn't exist at all, Snyder is a genius who deserves sole credit, and his own industry is specifically great compared to comics I guess (despite the fact that the "brilliant subversion" is at the expense of movies that are also in that industry?).

Obviously you make a good point that the Watchmen comic subverted previously released comic stories/characters, but I don't think it's unfair to point out that those characters/stories are not nearly as mainstream as they are now and that therefor it would have been cool to see how people reacted to a Watchmen film in the wake of Avengers

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Papercut posted:

Someone said they didn't like the use of slo mo in this film and then you questioned why they would watch a Snyder film if they hate all slo mo

In the post you're quoting they specifically say that using "all slo mo" was the wrong choice of words, you're just repeating your earlier straw man accusation here without actually addressing the post replying to it or adding anything new

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Barreft posted:

He's a 9d chess expert genius just like Elon, lol.

Nah he just made a pretty straightforward anti-fascist movie, that's all the OP was saying

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Just finished this, some initial thoughts:

Plot was serviceable, had some lovely shots, action was a bit underwhelming than what I am used to for Snyder (thinking specifically of like 300, Sucker Punch, the Batman warehouse fight, etc) but not bad by any means. I also thought the creatures were interesting but the star ship design was pretty lackluster(beyond the funny wet vagina portal at the beginning)

I think the complaints about cut backstories and stuff was a bit overblown, they only recruit a few people and they get their own little unique vignette and a cool moment during the final fight. That part at least -- driving from planet to plant picking up wacky looking characters -- was pretty breezily paced and worked super well for me. Speaking of the final fight, I actually really loved the twist on expectations where they are just betrayed and captured, but then was underwhelmed by the results; I was hoping they would narrowly escape with heavy losses and a worse overall position (or at the very least win but by some really clever switcheroo and a lot of dumb luck) but then they seemed to just basically win an pretty unambiguous victory, which seemed like a waste of a really compelling setup.

The one bit of slow motion that stood out as especially weird/bad was in Kora's backstory. The first bit of it starts just as a guy behind her gets blasted in the head, with his head snapping back being the initiator, but then it continues for what seems like an unreasonable length of time while Kora completes what seems like a very insignificant hop? Then ramps back up and slows again when she hits a wall for cover. The only thing i could think of was: in the R cut there might specifically be more people getting blasted apart around her as she recklessly charged forward, which would make this a more reasonable place for that slow motion, but if that's the case it is weird to leave it in the cleaner cut.

Not much else to say at the moment. The comparisons to Star Wars are pretty trite, like yeah there was some space ships and a cantina but otherwise like some people said it was more like Mass Effect (and obviously some people are saying Warhammer but I don't know enough about that unfortunately). Why some people find it insanely objectionable is a mystery (lol I mean no it's not, I know why people want to be hyperbolic and get into dumb fights but any sane person is going to rate this somewhere from like "a waste of time" to "mediocre" to "pretty fun" and anyone calling it a masterpiece or the worst movie ever are just roleplaying online)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Papercut posted:

The person still didn't seem to understand how they had strawmanned the OP so I was helpfully clarifying, not trying to add anything new. Hope this clears it up.

But you seem to not be understanding that you simply repeated the exact same thing without adding anything. Hopefully this clarifies my point a bit for you.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Nephthys posted:

As a bug Snyder fan, unfortunately I think he really bombed with this one.

Ah-ha! of course you hated a movie where a big spider got killed if you're also a bug! way to gently caress up and let your bias show!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I liked the whole recruitment thing, I do think there was a way to cut the last third of the movie to be more coherent and give the recruits more time to shine in the final fight, while also not making the whole "we are all returning to the farming village for essentially no reason" thing more sensible, but maybe that would have required actual reshoots and ADRing that was seen as unreasonable.

In a way this is sort've like the opposite of BvS, where the first third of that film was cut to poo poo in order to get it under a time limit. Unfortunately David Brenner who I think did a better job with BvS is no longer with us and it seems whoever did this edit was not as up to that task,

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah agreed, which is why I liked the recruitments overall. I do get the complaints tho because yeah you recruit all these people and they do dick all for the actual conclusion of this movie (except for Bloodaxe) and then the ending is a bit muddled where they think the've won and then they go back to the village anyway for seemingly no reason.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I mean yeah that's the thing, like an extra line or two saying like "even with Noble gone, the Motherland might still come back..." with a knowing look thrown in. Sure they could be just going to chill through the harvest and get those g(r)ains but it seems kinda superfluous

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

JazzFlight posted:

After the rape barn scene I was really hoping the party would be Kora, secret princess, pacifist stormtrooper, and cool robot. Instead we got boring as hell whitebread Synder insert character Gunnar and the other characters got shelved. Laaaaaaaame.

Frankly, I would have been up for Jimmy as the main character altogether.

Yeah I dig this, although unsure what you mean by "whitebread Snyder insert", i haven't noticed that that's something he does? I do understand Gunnar's point as essentially a hapless scared guy trying to learn how to become a hero, but getting him at the expense of cool princess worshipping robot and stormtrooper defector is definitely a downgrade.

Also, this is a tangent but your post made me think of the casual headshot that Jimmy does while holding the gun like it's a wounded bird, that's an amazingly cool image/idea.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

JazzFlight posted:

To me, Gunnar kinda looks like Synder, he’s angling to be the love interest for the lead girl, and he sticks out as a useless fanfiction-level “why is he here, yet the characters all think he’s cool.”

ehhhhhhh I guess, I feel like if that were the case he could have just cut out the middle-man so-to-speak and made his self-insert the cool hunter guy who actually fucks rather than dweeby guy who is pining after the girl while surrounded by much cooler badasses

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Communist Thoughts posted:

Like I remember the snyder cut discourse where everyone was talking about how the snyder cut would add in some Lois and Martha characterisation in their cut scene.

And it did and was quite a good scene then it ends with martha transforming into green goblin and winking at the camera, making it even worse than the boiiiiing whedon original in terms of female characterisation, in a way no one could have predicted.

I definitely think putting Martian Manhunter in that spot was a wrong headed move (and I think even a lot of Snyder purists agree) but at the very least it doesn't take away Lois's characterization, and having Diane Lane make a "thirsty young reporter" joke is negative characterization, so at the very least it's a wash for Martha and a net positive for Lois.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I don't remember anyone specifically saying "star wars was also dumb so who cares" much less half the thread, but I won't discount it. It feels like a bunch of the thread for the past several days was talking about the obvious editing flaws (before instead talking about Guillermo Del Toro, which is always a bad sign for a movie when you go off on tangents about much better directors) which makes it weirder when someone comes in to accuse everyone of being hive minded or cultish or whatever.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I think it's potentially an interesting conversation comparing the Rebel Moon: Bad Cut to the Star Wars sequel trilogy, both in terms of them taking influence from the older SWs and also in terms of how well they do as a modern space operas. I think it's maybe a bit too close to release to discuss that in very good faith, especially with the amount of thinly veiled trolling going on, but I do think there's an interesting dynamic there.

For my take, I would say it's definitely not remotely as sloppy as RoS, which has the same problems with editing, but has even more ridiculous plot points ("sold you to save you" plus the knife map beats any silly/dumb thing in RM for sure) but is maybe saved on an personal level by having pre-established characters that people are invested in. TFA is a harder comparison because it banks so hard on nostalgia and in fact hews extremely closely to New Hope so while it is probably better it is so in a cynical way? Would love to see opinions on TLJ vs RM:BC because TLJ is probably the most different from other Star Wars while still being a Star War.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Verisimilidude posted:

Please, try to interpret posts charitably.

So what I think is causing some confusion/frustration here is that what you are effectively trying to say is "derivation is not a meaningful metric to judge a film by" but instead of saying that your first post was only engaging in comparisons of the derivativeness of RM vs TFA and then you largely never backed down from that point.

To use your own analogy: sure you said "I like pancakes" which doesn't automatically mean "I hate waffles" but you did so by replying to a debate about pancakes vs waffles which made everyone think you might be engaging with the debate. Then you also kept saying "I don't think there's a meaningful distinction between pancakes and waffles, but just want to also be clear again that I like pancakes"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Papercut posted:

It's a testament to just how bad RM is that even the ST looks competent and interesting in comparison

All it reflects at the moment is people dedicated to dunking on a Zack Snyder film tho

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I admittedly know dick all about Warhammer but what jumps out to me isn't the nazi outfits (because yeah, they're nazis, we get it) but the pistols, which looks a ton like the one Kora has int he movie (brick shaped with the fancy gold trim)

Again, know dick about WH but my understanding was this is just one of the factions (albeit one of the most popular ones and the one that's often used as the face of the brand). I would have imagined there were other things about the aesthetic outside the obvious, like the design of the ships/weaponry/monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

This movie was a gently caress. I got half of one second in before my eyes poo poo blood at the screen with such force that it shattered into a million pieces. Hack Snyder owes me new eyes and a flat screen and 5 liters of blood.