Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

checkplease posted:

I do think the end of the fight isn’t edited the best and hoping the longer cut cleans it up. I agree, we all know she’s still got two swords in free hands.

But it’s important to keep in mind that the spider woman was doomed already. First we know that mining has killed her offspring likely making her the last of her kind. Next, she approaches initially trying to bargain saying that her path of terrorism is justified. And even if she kills Nemesis, Kora has her gun ready to shoot the spider.

Really the end is just the spider making sure her executioner looks her in the eye one last time. Maybe a hope for her cause to be remembered, a new reason to fight. Maybe a final acknowledgment that terrorism isn’t the path.

Nemesis had inflicted some pretty grisly wounds on Harmada throughout the fight, and landed several fatal blows after igniting her lava swords. At that end when she grabs Nemesis, I feel as if Harmada was doing the whole suicide by cop thing. I do agree it could've been conveyed better though -- maybe there's a bit of missing dialogue that'll come back in the extended edition. In the PG13 cut, you really have to extropolate a lot of the reasoning from the intial conversation between Nemesis and Harmada and what Nemesis has to say in the aftermath of Harmada's death in order for that sort of reading to work, so I totally understand the criticisms. Still though, Nemesis does so much anime posturing that I love, so I'm willing to look past the flaws and engage more with that I think is cool about the sequence :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Flowers for QAnon posted:

As a non CD poster who likes some of Zach Snyder’s stuff, it’s incredibly bizarre to see multiple people levying personal attacks at posters who didn’t like the movie.

Seems more like it's less personal attacks and more snark in response to drive-by shitposting claiming Zack Snyder is fash/cynical without any sort of elaboration, and also being schooled in filmic concepts like belief suspenders.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I enjoy the aesthetics of both Dune and Rebel Moon, but can understand the why of how someone would prefer one or the other. I'd say Dune is very sterile/neat and minimalist with its visuals, where Rebel Moon is very sweaty/grimey and maximalist. That said, I personally am very partial to how Zack photographs the human form so Rebel Moon wins for me solely on that metric lol. Despite how chopped up his scenes were, I enjoyed Djimon as Titus simply because he looked absolutely ridiculous in the Snyder aesthetic haha.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

It's fascinating how worked up some folk get over people liking and/or trying to discuss Snyder's movies. Snyder should've leveraged Rebel Moon's space opera marketing push to platform another indictment of fanboy culture like he did with Sucker Punch, lol. Using Rebel Moon as means to display how brutal and evil space fascists are in less sanitized fashion that comes with the genre is pretty good tho.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Barreft posted:

He's a 9d chess expert genius just like Elon, lol.

Elon sucks. Zack Snyder is pretty cool imo. What a rude comparison.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

At least you're honest :haw:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Barreft posted:

What are some Snyder originals I can watch? I mean him creating everything, not adapting something already made. Google is terribly poo poo on finding anything anymore with their SEO I'm trying

Sucker Punch was the first film he wrote/directed that wasn't an adaptation. Letterboxed did a sort of retrospective interview with Snyder about the film back in July that I thought was pretty interesting. It's a bit spoilery though, so I'd hold off reading it until you've seen the movie. https://letterboxd.com/ifccenter/story/sucker-punch-an-interview-with-zack-snyder/ -- it gives some neat insight. Be sure to watch the extended cut with Oscar Isaac and Carla Gugino doin a great musical number.

His next original work was Army of the Dead; was writer/director/producer. It was also the first time he was the DP as well. Snyder does some weird poo poo with the lenses when he shot the film that, much like how his films are received, was pretty polarizing lol. I thought it looked fine, but I get why people might not dig it the sort of dreamy aesthetic he was going for.

Army of Thieves is an AotD spinoff that he didn't direct, but he co-wrote and produced it. Fun enough heist movie. And then now his take on space operas with Rebel Moon, where he again does some experimental stuff with lenses as the DP that not everyone is gonna like haha.

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 27, 2023

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

[...] (and I guess their k-drama back catalogue doesn't hurt)

I enjoyed My Liberation Notes a little while ago; was a pretty affecting family drama that I found pretty relatable. I also really liked Doona! with Bae Suzy playing a washed up k-pop idol :allears: If you're into romantic dramedies you'll likely enjoy it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Guy A. Person posted:

I mean yeah that's the thing, like an extra line or two saying like "even with Noble gone, the Motherland might still come back..." with a knowing look thrown in. Sure they could be just going to chill through the harvest and get those g(r)ains but it seems kinda superfluous

The way it's cut was for sure meant to imply the group of heroes think the fight is over and want to get the compensation for their troubles, as promised. Kora explains in the aftermath of the final action sequence that the imperium are cowards and when an admiral dies protocol dictates the ship/crew have to return to the motherworld, after which sorta drunk Mr. Titus is all like, "we still get paid tho, right?! :haw: " and then the film transitions to a "twist" showing that Noble isn't dead actually! I thought it was communicated fine, but the extended cut will probably handle it better for obvious reasons.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Name Change posted:

To be clear, that isn't in itself bad and what's more, Snyder has been very clear that the origins of this were an unused Star Wars concept. What doesn't jump off the screen to me personally is what this brings to the cultural conversation besides Battle Beyond the Stars + a reported $166 million dollars. It's not like explicitly antifascist fantasies are in short supply.

While the original pitch was a Seven Samurai Star Wars concept to LFL circa 2012, in recent interviews Snyder said the film is more a love letter to late 70s/early 80s era fantasy sci-fi in general. Even though that obviously does include Star Wars -- which is the logical comparison to make for Rebel Moon's marketing push -- Snyder also cites Excalibur and Conan the Barbarian as primary sources of reference. Snyder had also brought up a decent point that the depiction of expansionist fascist regimes has been a bit sanitized in sci-fi, so putting in the effort to show how unabashedly evil, and cruel and violent they are is relevant.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

josh04 posted:

different, much smaller ship

Does the novelization make that distinction? I do remember seeing the Netflix SDH subtitles labeling the ship as The King's Gaze, but I also thought it was a different ship at thee nd so I was confused lol.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jimbot posted:

After Nobel kills king Levitica he tells the King's Gaze to finish up turning the planet to ash while he goes ahead to collect his prisons after getting a message from Kai. He states this as he boards the dropship with the massive explosions going on in the background.

Did Netflix muck up the subtitle then?

The ship looks physically different, which is why I was confused when I saw the subtitle. I thought to myself that ship looks too small to be the King's Gaze lol.

[edit] Yeah, that gunner station/pod is nowhere on this full shot of The King's Gaze

teagone fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 29, 2023

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

YggdrasilTM posted:

I'm half expecting a bunch of cut establishing shots, the attempted rape scene going much further, and also battles twice as long and much, much gorier. And that's it.

According to a recent interview with Snyder, the extended cut will have a completely different opening focused entirely on Nobel.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

YggdrasilTM posted:

The Swedish chemist, inventor, engineer and businessman?

Lol, yes. I'm leaving that typo.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mega Comrade posted:

In that example their hands are in the focus, their faces are not...

Maybe that was the point, lol.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Nodoze posted:

A lot of people enjoy spectacle with zero substance

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I really enjoy Pacific Rim, Blade 2, both Hellboys, The Shape of Water, and Mimic.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Communist Thoughts posted:

all 3 star wars sequels were considerably better than this imo

The Last Jedi, sure. I'd say Rebel Moon Netflix cut was about as good as The Force Awakens for me, but it's definitely better than The Rise of Skywalker. gently caress that movie, lol.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Papercut posted:

I tend to enjoy things and not tear down art

The Rise of Skywalker is not art. It's commercial fodder. There's a difference!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Papercut posted:

Yeah for real the sequel trilogy is dramatically better than his work

Check teagone's response to my post :ssh:

That said, I would never say The Rise of Skywalker is the worst movie I've ever seen though. That's just dumb. Producer driven, commercial fodder has its place in entertainment and I can acknowledge effort and passion when I see it even among the blockbuster tentpole, box office driven genre. What I say gently caress TROS, what I mean is I really don't like the studio politics that led to TROS ending up being this sort of reactionary film to TLJ's divisive reception. Hope that clears this up for you.

[edit] grammar

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 4, 2024

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

What about artistic fodder?

Being sincere when I say I'd likely vibe with most "artistic fodder", i.e., I guess you could described that in one way as movies with strong visuals but mediocre character and plotting. Rebel Moon's Netflix cut could be labeled artistic fodder maybe, lmao. If I find the visual language of a film interesting/pretty, I'd probably enjoy it on some level even if I don't find the story too engaging.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I know next to nothing about Warhammer 40k, but I'm very aware of its aesthetic through nerd culture osmosis -- Rebel Moon looks very 40k.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Rebel Moon is not particularly Star Wars influenced IMO, I find it MUCH more influenced by late 70s/early 80s Heavy Metal magazines, which would make the "chain of ripoffs" 1930s pulps -> 1950s Science Fiction -> Star Wars -> 1980 Heavy Metal Magazine -> Rebel Moon.

Snyder did say in a press junket interview that the movie is more a loveletter to 70s/80s science fantasy and does cite Star Wars for the obvious marketing angle, but also namedrops Excalibur (because of course) and Conan the Barbarian (an evident homage because lmao just look at Tarak :allears:, the Bloodaxe gang warpaint styling, and a character named Milius).

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The Last Jedi is my favorite Star War tho.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

This was great, lmao.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

checkplease posted:

Parody aside, is Snyder a big exposition guy? I always think of that more of a Nolan thing. Many of the BvS complaints seem to be on people needing more info. Or 300 doesn’t really have big exposition dumps. I guess ZSJL does have some (cave paintings with Wonder Woman).

Granted Rebel Moon has its share of exposition with Kora flashbacks, but even still many seem like they want more about the Kings and grain types.

Noble gives a giant exposition dump about each character at the end that I thought was pretty funny.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

There's like a 95% chance that the spider monster's going to have nipples, so get ready for that.

Yes

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

9PM central tonight I will be hosting a Rebel Moon Part 2 stream in the CineD Discord

:sickos:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CineD discord stream starting soon :supaburn:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

No pain, no grain. Or... no grain, no gain. Either works.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Barreft posted:

Stop with the slomo jfc, can anyone reign this dude in even a little bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwRk7ZCVUO4

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

YggdrasilTM posted:

The main problem is that the action is a confusing boring mess, and that the movie is action for the 75% of its time.
Also lol at "and now, the night before the big battle, let's share our backstories!"

I have no idea how could there be an extended version because this one already felt 40 minutes too long.

It’ll probably be a completely different movie. Netflix wanted their own Snydercut. ZSJL is so vastly different from the focus group cut of Justice
League, I imagine Rebel Moon Snyder Cuts will follow suit.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Put this in the OP pls

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...f2ad0f41641cb2&

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...95bbe087266d0d&

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

I got u teagone

Thank you sir.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Tankbuster posted:

I think the dialog was bad too. I really shouldn't have watched dune before this.

I did enjoy Villeneuve's Dune films more than the Netflix Rebel Moon cuts. Dune Part 2 especially, that's a fuckin' movie.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

JazzFlight posted:

Like, if you took away the diverse casting of the seven samurai heroes, this could easily be a Daily Wire movie about the federal government stealing from "true Americans."

This is a wild read for me considering the text presents the folk on Veldt as some sort of hippie commune full of kinda weirdo sex and grain obsessed simpletons, lol.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Can't speak for anyone else but the minute you bring up the Tomatometer a huge door slams shut in my mind. I do not give a poo poo what a bunch of mediocrities whose sole common feature is 'will write about movies for a pittance" think - especially in the aggregate - and if you do it's a reveal that our Movie Mindsets have diverged so heavily that I can't take anything you say seriously anymore. Not quite as bad, but it reminds me of when a guy told me that "Raiders of the Lost Ark is a bad movie, actually" and suddenly everything they said afterwards sounds like the teacher noises from Charlie Brown.

:hmmyes::agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The trick is to not really be concerned about or influenced by wider opinion. If something interests you and potentially aligns with stuff you like, check it out. If it ends up disappointing, oh well. Too much energy is wasted trying to dunk on poo poo, lol.