Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Just finished watching this with my wife and it really did not work for us. There were parts where something more interesting and creative peeked through that were really cool:

- I would have liked to follow whatever the hell was going on with the robot who reluctantly shoots a guy, his whole thing was very interesting.

- Whatever that fuckin Metroid alien thing in the bar that was talking via... a dead? guy?? loving fantastic. Should have made that thing a party member.

- Gross spider lady was insanely creepy, with a scary reveal.

- Phenomenal design and execution on the costumes, possibly the most stand out element of the whole thing for me. Strong visual identity from that alone.

But most everything else felt very rote and, at times, even amateurish, which just should not happen when you're a director with the experience and chops of someone who's been in the biz as long as Snyder has.

I think, even above being rather derivative rather often, the film's biggest sin for me was never really selling why I should care about most of the events I am seeing. It just felt like this lady walks into a series of different sets and essentially either gets in a bar fight, watches a bar fight, or says "hey come with me, no for real though" and that's just everything that happens in between a decently tense opening and a totally perfunctory ending.

WHY DOES THE GUN POD ON YOUR SPACESHIP CONTROL THE ENTIRE SPACESHIP SUCH THAT THE GUNNER'S JOYSTICK WILL CRASH THE WHOLE VESSEL IF HE LEANS ON IT

Liked it more than Army of the Dead which idk just felt dumb and meanspirited to me, liked it less than Jupiter Ascending, which is a very bad space opera but which at least felt entirely unique, for better or worse, and like the creators of it were having fun making the most weirdly self indulgent big budget movie in at least a decade. Rebel Moon felt to me like Snyder making a movie out of a box of spare parts he wasn't actually that excited about anymore.

Edit: looking around, it seems the second half of the movie was edited badly on purpose as a joke by Netflix or something? Idk but it makes sense why I thought the first half held together better.

SlimGoodbody fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jan 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Snyder is a complicated dude for me cause almost every one of his movies hits me in both a "this didn't land enough for me to unambiguously love it" way as well as a "there is too much interesting stuff happening here for me to discount it" way. I'm sorta glad he took a little break from being the main character of The Discourse for a while, cause I feel like it let me approach him again as A Guy Who Is Making Stuff instead of A Guy I Am Apparently Going To Have To Have Some Form Of Exhausting Conversation About If I Engage With His Output if you know what I mean.

I'll give the director's cut a go when it drops and hopefully it will feel more cohesive to me, but it would definitely have to shake up a number of things that I'm not sure it would. Like there are a few more exposition dumps than I'd have liked, which go on a fair bit longer than they ought to imo. Or a few patches of dialogue that just felt really underbaked (or maybe under-delivered? idk). Maybe it will be better about time, distance, and space as well. It felt like everyone was just exactly where they needed to be with zero opportunity cost or delay despite ostensibly traveling a gazillion space miles between every scene, but that's just a personal bugaboo I have about the way a lot of sci fi deals with space travel.

I get your point about collecting badasses and not creepy goblins, I just really liked that creepy goblin. Why couldn't the creepy goblin be a badass! More and more people are asking this!!