Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

McCloud posted:

lol

https://x.com/DesertedScope/status/1735611017319559189?s=20

Women, with accents? In MY Sci fi?!

Outrageous!

First off, Star Wars Imperial officers being British and all that. But also, Americans do have an accent, Hollywood Reporter.

They're really trying to find any reason to criticize Snyder. Shocking, I know.

Also, I would like to find that original tweet from that first image, describing an incredible movie but giving it a 3/10. I'm curious about the comments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

checkplease posted:

Force awakens is the most derivative sequel. It’s got good music and looks nice but why were we ok with another Death Star but planet size and another empire but new name again.

Rebel moon is at least a new world and has Jimmy and giant birds. No dynasty of skywalkers again.

Does it have Jimmy, though?

I liked it, but I didn't love it. I hope to love the director's cut, and the sequel. The last 30-40 minutes of this movie fucks.

Until that point it's a long series of character introductions, and thin ones. I only feel like I really know Kora, Gunnar, and kinda Kai. Oh, and Darrian was great, for how little we got of him. Everyone else is kinda there, and silent after their intros. I was hoping for a lot more of Titus. Again, I have high hopes for the longer cut and sequel. But while I liked this, I didn't love it like I hoped to. Decent intro, though.

checkplease posted:

The dreadnaught can just bomb the surface with its cannons, similar to warships of today and takes time.

The death star destroys planets with one shot, there’s no hiding from it.

Really don’t see how the dreadnaught is similar to a Death Star. It’s just a threat of a larger force against smaller civilizations, but that’s not unique to Star Wars.

The one time we see it used, it destroys anything habitable extremely fast. I'd say it's comparable.

But only comparable, not a direct rip or anything. I agree that calling this movie "basically Star Wars" is wrong (outside of the obvious lightsabers, but whatever, those were cool, so I'll allow it). It mostly felt like a unique world, that I want to explore more. I just hope we get a chance to. So far it just feels surface level of a potentially impressive universe.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

McCloud posted:

Also I don't know how you can see this and not see the comparison to 40K.

No ties in 40K.

I know nothing about 40K, I'm kidding, it's a clear influence.

checkplease posted:

Jimmy carries when he’s around. And when not, I dream of Jimmy.

This is mostly a silly argument , but I think if you are going to compare the dreadnaughts to Star Wars then the Star destroyers make more sense. Both can bombard orbit. In practice too, the dreadnaught shows up to Veldt and doesn’t immediately blow up the planet. The Death Star though never waits and it’s a countdown for it to shoot. So they function differently as threats. Though part 2 could change that with an angrier Noble.

In appearance, yes, they're obviously Star Destroyers. But what do you mean the Death Star never waits? The entire climax of ANH is about a countdown before the Death Star can fire? Granted that's because a planet was in the way, but plot wise, it functioned the same. And in the movies, we never see Star Destroyers perform an orbital bombardment on the level of the dreadnought. They have to send AT-AT's down in ESB. Orbital bombardment is more of an EU thing, like in KOTOR.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 4, 2024

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

checkplease posted:

I mean the death start doesn’t show up and negotiate. There’s a countdown as it takes a while to charge up and move into position, but not to request the rebels be grain slaves.

Oh, you're not talking about what it can do, but how it's used? My mistake then.

But we still see a dreadnaught destroy a livable area of a planet immediately (after fake negotiation). If you think the Imperium was negotiating in good faith before firing, well okay.

We're talking a matter of minor degrees, I guess.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 4, 2024

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Bongo Bill posted:

Now I'm actually wonderin' if I even LIKE kings, man.

How dare you, Ian McShane was drat good on it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Blood Boils posted:

I wouldn't call the short sanitized version good, per se, but I enjoyed how it reminded me of channel-flipping to a potentially interesting action movie I've never heard of

Yeah, I think the short version was decent, but heavily flawed, so I'm looking forward to the full version hopefully fixing those flaws. I may skip the short version of part 2 and waiting for the full version, if that ends up being true.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEJuNHOd8Dw

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

"lets talk about Wheat...1/25"

No.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Also, maybe it's, like, space grain that works different than Earth grain. You don't know, nor should you care enough to post 25 tweets about it.

But mostly what everyone else said about fascists.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I gave up reading twitter threads for the rest of my life

Agreed. The words, "A thread." are a cue for me to move the gently caress on. Same for that thread icon.

It's just not the medium for that.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

RBA Starblade posted:

It seems like if you've attacked and dethroned a countless amount of gods that you wouldn't really give a poo poo about some wheat though

People gotta eat. And resistances to fascists have to be put down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I guarantee these guys are wrong about the grain, but it’s also not because they’re overthinking the economics of grain farming. Probably they’re like the libertarians who got mad at Elysium because they didn’t understand artificial scarcity.

I’m just going to hold off on a proper analysis because the actual movie isn’t even out yet.

This is a good point, and the fault of Netflix (and, to a point, Snyder for agreeing to this messed up release schedule). But do you really think the longer cut will get into the grain subplot?

I mean, maybe.