Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MacheteZombie posted:

Two netflix execs doing the pog point to an analytics chart about no one watching movies over 2 hours long

We've discovered a fool-proof plan to recreate the marketing hype and financial success of "the heartwarming story of the boy who learned to walk after getting having his legs broken" using nothing more than a little elbow grease and this mallet.

Jimbot posted:

Even worse people watch youtube videos longer than a hour!

Zack "Not Quite As Long as HBomberguy" Snyder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Martman posted:

personally I do not believe that Zack Snyder is a fully formed and executed vision

yeah that was paul bettany I thought

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
torn between not wanting spoilers and desperately wanting to ask how cool the anthony hopkins' robot is

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mordiceius posted:

I'm still really confused. I'm curious about this film but people here are saying this film was purposely cut down by Netflix? And there will be a director's cut?

Is any of that confirmed? Or is it all just speculation?

Yeah, both Snyder and Netflix have both said so. Presumably half because Netflix wants their Star Wars movie to be PG-13, and half as a weird attempt to recreate the Snyder Cut enthusiasm.

It is very dumb.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Pretty much exactly the film that was advertised, it's Seven Samurai by way of Star Wars (including PT) + Warhammer 40k + a teensy bit of paperback Conan. Maybe not Netflix's Star Wars exactly so much as Netflix's "what if Chronicles of Riddick was good?" You'll see some Necromonger poo poo before the end.

My big complaints are the parts of the film that aren't there. A lot of establishing shots have clearly been cut to the bone (and there are places where there clearly should be some but there aren't) some dialog has been truncated and Jimmy, the best character in the movie, is mistakenly absent for most of the film. Rookie mistake, Zack!

Make no mistake this is far from the worst of Snyder's abbreviations. I'm a little higher than 7.5 fresh from seeing it just because the movie just looks gorgeous. I'm not half as curious to see the 3 hour version as much as I'm eager for part 2.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 22, 2023

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Bongo Bill posted:

At this time, would you suggest skipping the 2-hour cut and waiting for the real version next summer, or just watching it now?

Depends? Speaking as someone who has gotten used to seeing films months after they release (especially since Covid!) I probably would not have seen Rebel Moon 1 when I did if it weren't for teagone's group watch. I don't doubt that the full release is the better film and I would have otherwise been fine holding out for it.

That said, I'm not sad I saw the cut I did, and if you're a Snyder Sicko you've probably enjoyed movies that have been cut down far worse than this was.

How badly do you want to see some space fascists spit teeth?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mordiceius posted:

Wouldn’t Snyder have had to agree to this hamfisted plan that brings him a bunch of bad press?

In a vacuum that'd be smart but I wouldn't be surprised if the whole JL debacle made him think that he can weather any amount of bad press so long as he still produces films people like.

And hell, maybe?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

YggdrasilTM posted:

- Ok, this fights was really confusing and messy.

Honestly, yeah, the final fight is hard to keep track of. That being said, it did have Ray Fisher taking down a Star Destroyer with a spear and a running leap so I have decided to forgive it its faults.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Papercut posted:

You should watch Pluto if you found The Creator interesting at all

Pluto and The Creator are both loving solid, but of the two of them The Creator is the one that sticks the ending.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

H13 posted:

The problem may have been what you've said here, whereby a lot of the choreography just didn't look impactful enough for it to be believable.

I get this and I wonder how much is that comes from the film being bloodless. If the R cut comes with a couple buckets of blood I think that'd help sell some of the impact.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It's not that these complaints are necessarily invalid (*cough*) but, like, have you watched any other scifi adventure films at all?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

teagone posted:

This was the sort of discourse I was waiting for tbh. I missed it. It's very funny.

What surprises me most so far is what isn't getting complained about. For example, the quaint village that's being robbed of its grain are basically Space Amish, and while they're welcoming of Kora, they aren't just willing to let her live there and help out. They want her to join their community and that entails marrying of their own and explicitly producing children, which Kora is clearly unhappy with.

And that's interesting, but it's also uncomfortable and icky and problematic. There's poo poo to talk about!

But instead we have page long rants about how its bad because people eat grain or miss their shots in a bar fight or because that admiral nazi dresses like a middle manager (???).

The film deserves better haters.

edit: put in spoiler tags

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 25, 2023

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

sbaldrick posted:

The only way this could have worked if it Synder had gone all in on his fascism love and made the Rebels old school religious traditionalist fighting against the Federation from Star Trek.

This is what I mean about Snyder deserving better haters. This dude's convinced the feudal space kingdom with a divine right doctrine is "a piss poor understanding of the Roman Empire" but then complete misses that the village the rebels are defending actually is a conservative religious settlement.

That poo poo's established in like the first 15 minutes! Imagine how much harder you could have attacked the film if you actually watched it first.

YggdrasilTM posted:

Really? I found the the whole scene of her with the planet behind her really fake and flat. In fact, that initial shot is probably my least favorite of the movie.

Sorry, dude, I'd absolutely put that sequence above any equivalent in Villeneuve's Dune. :shrug:
Though chips on the table, I felt Dune did bombast very well but was only serviceable outside of those moments.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 25, 2023

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

kalel posted:

okay, now I'm mad

e:

omfg

It's honestly tricky to compare the two because beyond the technical aspects you're also engaging with very distinct aesthetics.

Like, which looks better: Star Trek: The Motion Picture or Flash Gordon? There's a lot to be said for the craft in both films but at the end of the day Star Trek is going for a look that's believably fantastic while Flash looks like if Lisa Frank decided to stop loving around and get serious. How someone feels about that is probably going to matter way more to a person then how each film uses its lenses.

Dune is primarily interested in portraying the very vast (which it does quite well) and portraying the very intimate quarters of the nobility (which it does fine). That shot of Kora on the planet is wide open but also personal and is operating at something of a middle scale that Dune largely avoids. Which approach you like more is going to be a matter of taste.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 25, 2023

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Roth posted:

Actually I plan to let Snyder fans call people slurs and everyone who has rated the movie lower than 3.5 on letterboxd will have a month + ban queued with a message to never post in Cine D ever again.

This is called direct action and I support it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ozmunkeh posted:

It's unfair to compare Rebel Moon to a good movie is some kind of incredible take I was simply not prepared for today.

It's not that it's an unfair comparison so much that it's praising with faint damnation.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
That said, if A Bug's Life ended with Hopper getting brought back to life by space hitler's force ghost then that might just elevate that film even higher.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It's an odd thing to speculate on because even the R-rated cut is still just going to be part 1 of the full story.

...when is the R-rated cut of part 2 supposed to come out? I can't search for it without hitting results for part 1 or the part 2 PG-13 release.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Pirate Jet posted:

Nobody knows. We don't even have a concrete answer on the director's cut of part 1, just Snyder saying at a recent fan event "probably summer."

Oh, of course. How silly of me.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

NmareBfly posted:

Robot man was one of the best parts of movie and him vanishing without a trace was silly. Yes, he's clearly going to be important in part 2 but :shrug:

The Movie: [Staz Nair wrestling sweatily with a drat griffon.]

Me: "Okay, but what is Jimmy up to?"

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
tbh even I'm not sure how much I'm joking.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Rebel Moon has some cool robots and some cool aliens, and for whatever faint praise that may be that does put it above the sequel trilogy.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ozmunkeh posted:

Zach Snyder could work for another 50 years and still would not be able to surpass anything as aggressively mediocre as The Force Awakens.

Zack Snyder haters 🤝 Zack Snyder fans

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Another thing Rebel Moon can't figure out is kings. Under the kings, the empire of the Motherworld is an all-consuming maw that engages in endless wars for resources. Scratch that, it engages in endless wars for no reason at all, because all we hear about is them constantly destroying whole planets. Yet the place the royal family occupies in the story is that of the previous Good Government that has been usurped by the fascist villains of the setting. You have your pure innocent princess who is MIA, you have the robot telling stories of how she was the hope for the future and peace and justice etc, and how the robots refuse to fight without a good princess to fight for. Which is it, Zack? Make up your mind!

For all the problems the film has, I don't think this is one of them. The royal family is never presented as a "Good Government." The King is just another murderous warlord like his successor, with the fascists able to usurp the monarchy because the feudal kingdom was only a hair's breath from that to begin with. The King hoping that his magical daughter would establish peace just shows that he wasn't willing to do so, himself.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

graventy posted:

I know you guys pretty much all hated the short version so let me promise you, the long version really is nothing like that movie. A completely different movie, really. Please watch.

I liked the short version it was just cut to poo poo.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

wyoming posted:

Later he also went in a bit about some lore and what didn't make it in the PG13 cut and he revealed how the dreadnaughts are able to fold time.
they apparently captured goddesses from other dimensions and chained them to the engines :black101:

I can't believe Bloodmachines is canon.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

what's this early apogee platformer font

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

josh04 posted:

Oh, it's Ecco the Dolphin.

ty

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Haven't seen part 2 (holding out for the however-long cut) but I finished part 1 thinking the farmers were some kind of space Mennonites. While that's something very different from what most folks have in mind re: "true Americans," that ain't exactly a hippie commune.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Buttchocks posted:

I think it was someone in one of the GM'ing threads who said "if your campaign has too many settings, it has no setting." The world that this take place in isn't coherent at all. It's like tearing a page from 15 random comic books and stitching them together.

Harsh criticism of Star Wars, but I can't dispute it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Dersu Uzala is almost certainly an inspiration for Empire Strikes Back.

I've wondered for a while if parts of ESB weren't modeled after a '69 Shaw Bros wuxia film titled Dragon Swamp, in which a young women chases down a wizen old hermit who lives in the swamp to help her recover a magic sword stolen by a Darth Vader figure. Hidden and lost relations abound, with it being revealed that not only is Darth Vader her father, but Yoda is her mother.

checkplease posted:

I saw that both part 1 and part 2 are on Netflix top 10 movies chart. Maybe this dumb strategy is working, short term at least.

It's certainly one that permits the binge watch impulse.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 27, 2024