Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

My vested interest in the movie is insofar as it's a star war. Nominally, I'm bound to see it for that reason.

But they're pretty much doing everything in their power to persuade me not to care about it at this point with the "finished cut will come out, uh, sometime later" thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Ghosthotel posted:

I have 0 clue why they didn’t just release the full cut right off the bat. This feels like a worse hack job than theatrical BVS but I had way more fun with that at least because it felt like Bruce Wayne’s Very Scary Knightmare.

I guess they want to give the PG13 version as good of a shot as possible by not having the R rated cut cannibalize it, and have as many people double dip as possible for the numbers? I assume that would also be why they won't say when the real cut will come out?

The whole situation seems very dumb in a very netflix way. The winning move is not to play

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

That's an even dumber reason than I thought given the context of zack "the 4 hour zack snyder cut, by zack snyder" snyder

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Ghosthotel posted:

I’d be fine with that if the cool dudes got literally anything to do. If you get recruited in this movie you’re lucky if you get more than like 5 lines of dialogue and one short action scene. They basically become non-entities after their introductions.

This is very devil's advocate, but I suppose that is itself embeded in the star wars DNA at this point. I mean han solo ended the saga mostly standing in front of a door, to say nothing of very similar failings in rogue one

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/residentdillon/status/1735934093391712342?t=W4SzF5k2hEus75J0lzytDA&s=19

So the R rated cut of part 1 comes out after the PG 13 rated cut of part 2 I guess? The continual layers of dumbness here are staggering

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It does seem like a bit of a missed opportunity, especially if there are no aliens on the crew, especially considering how consistently lame the handling of aliens has been in disney star wars also.

People have been noting the 40K and dune influences a lot, but those are settings where the aliens are pretty darn fleshed out and important and not really just randomly there. All in all I kinda see the complaint

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

One quibble: Dune doesn't have aliens, though.

Are the face dancers not technically aliens? It's honestly been too long since I read the later books. Fair if so but even if they're engineered humans or whatever I would say they basically function as aliens in the setting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

This might just be a me thing, but I think a key component of the lucas-ian conception of "aliens are just randomly around" is to show a sort of solidarity. It's vitally important that they are shown to be mundanely part of the rebellion and basically sharing a normal desire with humans to not be oppressed. Neglecting this was one of the few big fuckups of andor to me.

So it does grate if this is yet another thing where aliens are around in the setting but not apparently interested in opposing fascism. It didn't cost too much to show that in 1983, it should be achievable now