Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
I saw the film this afternoon at the Prince Charles Cinema on a 70mm print. I'm not exactly a Zach Snyder fan, but I was in town and I'm not going to pass up the chance to see the first showing of a brand new film print.

However, the film was not very good. It really does seem like a Star Wars story with the numbers filed off but with added threat of gang rape by occupying soldiers - from (and getting into lots of spoilers here the opening narration from Anthony Hopkins, which stands in for the opening text crawl, and the explanation of a galaxy made up of 1000(?) kings until the not-Galactic Senate was overthrown by a not-Emperor Palpatine (though other kings still seem to rule their own planets?).

Anyway the hero of our story appears to be living in a Scandinavian dwarven village until the military drops onto their planet looking for some rebels - this planet, the Rebel Moon, appears to consist of a village of 40 people, and a slightly larger town which has a space port with a single landing pad. I'm not quite sure why the military needed too demand their grain for food - they've got intergalactic ships which travel through, uhh, very yonic shaped wormholes, but don't have any facilities for growing their own rations?

Also there's a military priest class who maybe have the power of resurrection??

After our two leads escape 30 minutes in it's just a series of getting the gang together scenes, with them flying to a series of themed planets (the southern slave holder/farmer planet where they free a Dothraki prince, the gladiator coliseum planet, the ice planet (with added squid king), the secret smuggling outpost planet, and the cyberpunk planet with sexy humanoid spider queens with tiddies defeated by a woman in a very stupid hat).

And then the evil military general (who I spent the whole movie thinking was Nicholas Hoult) shows up, and his ship, which only has one gun, gets easily defeated by a guy leaping onto the gunner's position and stabbing him with a spear. And then they return to the Rebel Moon and the film ends.

Also Anthony Hopkins voices a former King's Guard android who swore off violence following the king's assassination, but there's a bit where he runs off after firing a weapon and killing someone for the first time in decades(?) and it just looked like how Scotty Evil runs.

Anyway there were some cool aliens who looked like they were actually puppeteered, but there was also some lovely backdrops that somehow managed to look like miniatures with the people superimposed.

edit: oh yeah, and there was a guy sat behind me who clapped and cheered at the bits where a bad guy gets defeated etc and tried to get people to clap and cheer at the end of the film and at the end of the credits but yeah it wasn't happening mate

Carpet fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Ghosthotel posted:

Saw this today, and while I enjoyed it, it’s hard to recommend that anyone see this version before the directors cut comes out because it’s is extremely obviously cut to pieces to hit the PG13 rating and 2 hour run time.

Yeah I forgot about that part: despite coming straight after a violent threat of rape, including terrified screaming from the young female victim, the bad guys getting their heads blown off just have a little red circle on their forehead or chests (same for the following fights and shootouts). It's hardly being shown in any cinemas so why wouldn't you go for the R rated violence? I believe it's still rated 15 in the UK anyway.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Ghosthotel posted:

I’d be fine with that if the cool dudes got literally anything to do. If you get recruited in this movie you’re lucky if you get more than like 5 lines of dialogue and one short action scene. They basically become non-entities after their introductions.

Yeah there's crappy fight at the end with the big bad and you only see one guy do anything (and that's run up a ramp and jump throw a spear). All the other sidekicks they've spent the whole movie introducing do gently caress all.

Ghosthotel posted:

It feels even more egregious here unfortunately. Djimon Hounsou in particular gets it really rough in this cut.

That's the same with all of them. After the incredibly stupid fight against the sexy spider lady, robot arms light saber sword lady does nothing

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Did whichever "contributor" for Forbes who posted that use GenAI to write it?

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Well I didn't like Part 1, but I did see it in the cinema on 70mm as I was in London at the time, and I'm in London again for Part 2's release so I've got a ticket. However I'm currently the only one here...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Well that was as bad as Part 1. Same final fight, and despite the priest doctor's warning that the space Nazi guy would come back different, he was exactly the same character. The walking tanks were cool, until they were very easily blown up, as was the space goddess in the engine room, not that we could see it very well - it's only on screen for about 5 seconds.

There was also the most obvious reveal that the princess with healing powers is still alive, but it's not one of the two age appropriate blond girls on Veldt, but she was instead being held back for Rebel Moon 2: Part 1. Had to laugh at the string quartet still playing even while the monarchy was being murdered and after another fight broke out, they really are professionals.

Anyway it turns out the grain actually was important to feeding the ships crew, and despite the audience having the knowledge that the army knew their men were dead, we kept up the pretense that harvesting the crop actually mattered.

And how exactly did that girl embroider multiple art works, personalised for people she has known at this point for, at most, 3 days? why didn't anyone tell her to get her rear end out to the fields to help get the wheat in?

edit: also, the part where Belisarius was screaming "kill her!" after the assassination was v funny

Carpet fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 21, 2024