Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Some thoughts:

- This is an 80's Star Wars ripoff, but this time with a budget, though not enough of one to get every effects shot right. I would really rather see a director take on some convoluted, as of yet book-only space opera at this point.

- The dialogue sounds like it was written for a book, not a performance. A very early example is the farmer going "or... or..." with pregnant pauses where the prose between dialogue was.

- Is the eventual supercut of this going to add some gore? It is explicitly and sometimes awkwardly edited out of the cut, to the point that George Lucas was making gorier movies in 1977. It becomes a bit silly at the point that people are being turned into pez dispensers by Judge Dredd pistols, which causes them to disappear from frame.

- Given how basic this plot is, funneling it through Snyder's grandiose style makes it sometimes feel laborious. Some efficiency in storytelling might have been nice, we don't need to devote so much effort to revealing that the fascist dressed exactly like a Nazi is going to kill and abuse farmers at will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I find it fascinating that this is being referred to as some sort of Star Wars knock-off. It's going to be very hard for that to happen; GenX already took a run at Star Wars back in the 80s and, no joke, came up with Warhammer 40k. 1987's Warhammer Rogue Trader, the original Games Workshop RPG that became the basis of Warhammer 40k, was written by two guys: a 28 year old late Boomer and an early GenX'er born the exact year of cinematic fascist Zack Snyder. As opposed to the grim darkness angle, Rogue Trader actually a "band of adventurers" team-up trying to scrape by in a sci-fi dystopia with a powerful fascist empire always on their heels (does this sound familiar? you're a bunch of Han Solos trying to stay one step ahead of the Empire). The game was developed before Aliens and Robocop; those two Sci-Fi bombshells get released and suddenly the entire line shifts and it's all about the massive space marines in their power armor yelling "purge the xeno" (a relatively minor satirical element in Rogue Trader, and one that mostly regulated to "avoid these fascist psychos"). The collapse of 70s eco-futurism and a near-decade of Reagan and Thatcher hyper-nationalism had cooked the brains of young artists and by the time the wall fell it was too late, 40k had become a straight-faced telling of the original satire.

And it's to that point that a 50-something director who freely admits he likes to tweak the audience and went through a significant family tragedy is not going to recapture the magic of a film that literally and irrevocably stamped cinema for the next century, and it's folly to think that would happen. Instead I would encourage you to pick up a couple of 1980s issues of Heavy Metal, page through the ludicrously pulpy but well-drawn stories that are soaked in blood, sex, and wacko imagery, and realize that those are what Snyder has in his head when he's making this movie.

Roger Corman made this movie twice in the 80's (Battle Beyond the Stars, Space Raiders). The "unique" factor is the Seven Samurai plot, which has been done 85 million times, but relatively few times in space (including by Star Wars itself, now).

To be clear, that isn't in itself bad and what's more, Snyder has been very clear that the origins of this were an unused Star Wars concept. What doesn't jump off the screen to me personally is what this brings to the cultural conversation besides Battle Beyond the Stars + a reported $166 million dollars. It's not like explicitly antifascist fantasies are in short supply. Enough reel to prove that Sofia Boutella has been criminally underused? Sure.

E: I guess the enemies of the fascists being actual minorities/non-western cultures instead of More White People.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 29, 2023

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Not sure if I wasn't clear here but my point was about GenX people (who were all children when Star Wars came out, and therefore a decade or more out from getting involved in professional movie making) attempting to ape Star Wars after stewing in hyper-jingoistic and sexually supercharged 80s media.

Roger Corman was literally in his 50s when Star Wars came out, a literal Greatest Generation guy who actually saw the serials it was based off in the theater as a kid, of course he could do a couple of passable knockoffs (that had zero impact on the "cultural conversation", whatever that is. They had zero impact on anything.) He has zero relevance to what I was talking about re: GenX directors massively shaped by Star Wars who are making pulp space operas.

You are the one who claimed you couldn't understand why this is commonly considered a Star Wars ripoff:

"A Star Wars movie was my original concept for it.”

Blood Boils posted:

I'm antifa & I love fantasy movies, i wasn't aware there was an abundance of explicit ones out there!? Who's got a list??

Every Star Wars movie, Inglorious Basterds, Pan's Labyrinth. Why didn't you know about these movies? Are you stupid?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Blood Boils posted:

8 movies across 5 decades isn't exactly what I would call an abundance lol

Also these are all obvious and popular choices, I had hoped you had a more impressive selection: mediocre:

Well at least Zack got to obvious, popular is another story

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Blood Boils posted:

I have no opinion on lenses/focus debate but that's a funny username + post combo :p

Ok but that wasn't the point of contention - you implied there was a plethora of these antifa fantasy movies, but could only name a few well-known titles spread over a time period older than me. Bit of a letdown

I met deliberately lovely, obtuse, and snobby posting about blockbusters (of all things) with the same. An explicitly antifascist fantasy movie comes out just about every month. You may as well ask about Seven Samurai adaptations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

McCloud posted:

So who's Vincent?

But yeah since this is just technically the first half of a longer movie, we're missing out on the sections where the assembled team actually do what they're assembled to do, I can definitely understand the complaints that they kinda melt into the background. I suspect the whole thing will flow alot better when part two is out.

Apparently the first half of the movie (the most coherent) has completely new sections. Then we will presumably get a much better second half and action scenes that Zack finished editing. This release sucked.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

There's a meme cut of the movie, so here's a meme commercial to go with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I'm all in on watching a rebel moon part 2 that Snyder finished editing, instead of the meme cut