Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Visionary Auteur director and two time academy award winner Zack Snyder is at it again. After redefining the superhero genre, Zack is now poised to do the same to space opera with his latest and hopefully greatest movie, Rebel Moon.

Originally concieved the idea back when he was in film school in the 80's, Zack started seriously working on the project about 20 years ago. In 2012, he pitched it to LucasArts, as a standalone project taking place in the Star Wars universe, but they turned it down. When Zack signed on with Netflix to do Army of the dead, they asked if Zack had any other projects he was interested in, and the rest is history. So now after his succesful debut at Netflix with AOTD, Zack is now launching the first part of what Netflix hopes will be a huge brand new IP, the Sci Fi space opera Rebel Moon.

Filmed back to back with part two, Zack managed to deliver two huge blockbuster sci fi movies for a pricetag of 165 million dollars, an impressive feat. Also fun fact, Zack created a new camera lens specifically for Rebel Moon:

quote:

Zack Snyder has revealed how he crafted a camera lens using four different pieces of technology to create a "distorted retro" look for his new film Rebel Moon.

The fan-favorite director explained how he combined various tech to create a brand-new lens to augment Rebel Moon's visual style. To begin with, Snyder tracked down multiple versions of the same vintage Japanese camera lens. Once enough units had been sourced, Snyder and his team took each lens apart before affixing certain parts to three different German-made Leica products. These Frankenstein's Monster-like devices were then used to shoot specific scenes in Rebel Moon Part 1: A Child of Fire to optically warp said sequences.

The new lenses are "based on the hard glass, which is behind the anamorphic elements of the Leica rangefinder series, plus the Summilux and Noctilux lenses," Snyder said. "We found some Japanese anamorphic lenses from a company called Cineovision, which was set up in the 1960s. We took them apart, grabbed the anamorphic element, and attached them to the Summilux and Noctilux lenses.

"What happens in super-wide angles, such as 24mm, the anamorphic optics of the Cineovision elements are so retro that they give this bizarre distortion. For instance, there's a shot where Sam [Charlotte Maggi] is talking to Jimmy [voiced by Anthony Hopkins]. She's standing and he's seated, and the entire top of the frame is out of focus, but Jimmy is in full focus, so it has this weird vignetted accentuation. I love that cool aberration effect we achieved with the lenses."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhr3MzT6exg

Citing both Star Wars and Akira Kurosawas Seven Samurai as big influences, Rebel Moon Part One is about Kora, a girl with a mysterious past and former soldier of the obligatory evil empire, gathering a diverse group of rag tag group of mercenaries and rebels, often oiled up and shirtless, to protect her adopted home, small farming settlement, from the empire she once abandoned. The Kurosawa and Star Wars influences are pretty obvious. In classic Snyder fashion, there's going to be a PG-13 rated version clocking in at two hours, and later on they'll release a longer R-rated version that's clocking in at around 3 hours.

The cast is impressive, featuring a mix of old and new faces Sophia Boutella in her first lead role, the return of Ray Fisher, Cary Elwes, Charlie Hunnam, Anthony Hopkins as the voice of the robot Jimmy

It also features 3 (!) actors from Game of Thrones, two of which played the same dude

https://x.com/rebelmoon/status/1732761890693247226?s=20

Rebel Moon Part One: A Child Of Fire releases on netflix on Dec. 21 at 7 p.m. PT/10 p.m. ET.
Rebel Moon Part Two: The Scargiver will follow very soon after, streaming on Netflix on April 19, 2024. No word yet on when the directors cut will be released, but presumably it will be out shortly after New Years.

However, there's also going to be a limited theatrical release on December 15th for those lucky few who live in New york, Los Angeles, Toronto and London!

Los Angeles will host screenings at the Egyptian Theatre
New York City at the Paris Theater,
Toronto at the TIFF Bell Lightbox,
London at the Prince Charles Cinema.

Also apparently there might be a limited run in the following cities:

https://x.com/rebelmoon/status/1733124283272982861?s=20

This thread is specifically for discussing Rebel Moon. Other Snyder-related projects or topics can go into the dome

E: mod edit

https://i.imgur.com/nmasbeJ.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/rMkQEfy.mp4

Somebody fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Reserved for Part 2

https://x.com/rebelmoon/status/1731079111185997914?s=20

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Check your DMs

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Me loving up the tag is tradition at this point

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

If any of you are in London, keep an eye out for the weirdly orwellian named "THE ORB"
https://x.com/SnyderNetflix/status/1734977057547747358?s=20

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://x.com/thepcclondon/status/1734982985391145209?s=46&t=yPIpoeD_1zo6-P4nl9Hh1g

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Jimbot posted:

You forgot to mention Zack also had a custom lens built for this film too. As someone who appreciated but ultimately didn't like the look of Army, Rebel Moon looks way better.

McCloud posted:

Filmed back to back with part two, Zack managed to deliver two huge blockbuster sci fi movies for a pricetag of 165 million dollars, an impressive feat. Also fun fact, Zack created a new camera lens specifically for Rebel Moon:

Maybe you need some lenses of your own :smug:

BTW

https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/status/1735056027979235653

McCloud fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 13, 2023

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/rebel-moon-stars-zack-snyder-process-premiere-1235754271/

quote:

Hounsou spoke to THR about the film’s deeper meanings, revealing that the story “mimics our reality in a fashion that I have never read from any script before” in how it “addresses so much the indoctrination of the continent of Africa over centuries.”

“It’s a geopolitical tentacle that we are holding back that continent,” he continued. “It’s unbelievable that that story speaks to me in that fashion… decade after decade, lots of leaders who were not leaders for their people.”

I think Sophia and Zack also spoke about the themes of imperialism and colonization

Two time Academy Award Winner Zack Snyder posted:

" Because you know Kora and Titus were both you know from the mother world you know that's where they -- I mean Titus is from a conquered planet that was…I had this idea for Djimon's character and that that character had come from a planet that had been colonized by the mother world and that you know a generation before he was born and that in the tradition of sort of the colonizer sort of the best and the brightest are brought back to the mother world to study or to in his case you know to do military service but that is not -- you know he's an import you know he's from a conquered nation and he's here you know to be indoctrinated into like that way of thinking and you know and it's only back on his home world when he's visiting or when he was growing up did his nanny or his grandmother teach him about his own culture before the Imperium before the mother world invaded you know and that's how he knows about his world. So you get like little bits of his culture and we kind of used a little bit of this sort of Nigerian culture and sort of history of sort of colonization of Africa as a sort of model that was like, Djimon was like “oh yeah this happened you know like this is normal

Sofia's backstory we're using a little bit of like Algerian kind of like architecture and stuff like that in the like for her world it got conquered because this is kind of like how they do it you know the Motherworld kind of just they're like acquiring and they have been for you know like the old king is much more a straight up imperialist but like in the tradition you know where I feel like the Regent Balsarius he's much more like you know like a dictator like you know he'd be happy to like raze a planet just for its natural resources rather than like “oh we should like land and see what the people are like and maybe some of them can fight for us” and you know like “maybe we could like assimilate their culture into ours” where it was a much more sort of you know 18th century imperialism where now the modern Imperium is much more aggressive than -- that was aggressive, and now it's worse."

Sofia Boutella posted:

"Sofia Boutella: Well, I want[ed] to work with him [Zack]. But on top of that, I think that -- I think there was a lot of stuff that I could relate to for myself. I was born in Algeria, and I never -- Kora is found on another planet that's not her home. She was abducted. I was not abducted. But my roots are not necessarily where I live and not where I grew up and not where I was born. And I can relate to that. There was a sense of freedom to that aspect, but also a sense of home is everywhere, but not specifically somewhere. That was very relatable for me. And then not to be dramatic, but there was a civil war growing up in my country. And not that it was as dangerous as, an actual war, but I grew up in that environment. And it's lodged somewhere in me, and I felt that, oh, yeah, I think I can do that."

I'll be really interested to see how much of this is conveyed in the film

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Zacks movie getting a low score from the same people that gave Thor 4 and Antman 3 glowing reviews is the definition of this

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

lol

https://x.com/DesertedScope/status/1735611017319559189?s=20

Women, with accents? In MY Sci fi?!

Outrageous!

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://x.com/Darren_Mooney/status/1735718219644563599?s=20

I knew Zack wouldn't let me down

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I got this tiny bit spoiled for me, without context
Octopussy

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

teagone posted:

All the Snyder haters seethe posting the RT score as like a means of confirmation bias or whatever, that sad poo poo gives me energy actually :getin:

At this point, you kinda know what you get with Snyder, and a high RT score is not part of the package deal

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

This was for the Oscars where they didn't give Bosman a posthumous award but did profit off his likeness with that NFT, right?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

YggdrasilTM posted:

I was promised black jack and hookers. Does the movie feature them?

Apparently there's tentacles.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Carpet posted:

Did whichever "contributor" for Forbes who posted that use GenAI to write it?

What exactly is your point of contention here

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

It makes me think of how Jason Momoa is going around during Aquaman marketing and talking about how he's probably not Aquaman anymore and this version of the character is over. Way to really sell the film to me!

Don't worry, Gunn is gonna come out soon and call it his favorite movie of the year!

DuhSal posted:

I just want to watch the director’s movie as intended why do they gotta be so extra???

Yeah I can't say I'm a fan of this approach.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Lol

https://x.com/pinko69420/status/1736111408620699854?s=46&t=yPIpoeD_1zo6-P4nl9Hh1g

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Yeah the movie owned. It's definitely been cut to the bone for a breakneck pace, and there's probably a lot more content delving into the backgrounds of the characters, but it's a cool and fun pulpy space opera with tons of cool visual set pieces and action. The scene with the squid king looked gorgeous with the eclipsed moon in the background.

Definitely whetted my appetite for part two and the directors cuts

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://x.com/SkyknightLCG/status/1738054476747968570?s=20

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

The biggest complaint was a lack of Jimmy

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

At this time, would you suggest skipping the 2-hour cut and waiting for the real version next summer, or just watching it now?

If you like Snyders work in general, I'd say it's worth watching, especially since it's on streaming and literally only costs you two hours

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Majkol posted:

I really liked how Noble did not buy the lie about the harvest because everyone from the village was just too buff and hot. Also, his inability to understand that everyone contributes and everyone benefits, forcing Sindri to just humor him and pretend he agrees.

It also very quickly established that you shouldn't bargain or compromise with fascists and that the only real option is violent resistance

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

josh04 posted:

They're just some rebels hanging out on a moon.

A Rebel Moon, if you will

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Phenotype posted:

Sorry, posted in the Zack Snyder thread before I saw this was here. Is this good enough that I should wait for a 4k release? I wanna watch it but I can only find it in 1080p, and it's getting such mixed reviews (tending toward bad) that I have to imagine I'm just gonna be disappointed if I wait.

How do you feel about Snyder movies on general and BvS theatrical cut in particular

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Phenotype posted:

I liked the Snyder Cut Justice League (although he really needed if not an editor, just a good friend to put his hand on his shoulder once in a while and say like "hey buddy, don't you think this bit might be a little too indulgent here?") and I thought BvS was just kinda trash overall, I dunno what version I ended up seeing.

I’d wait then.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

H13 posted:

oh yeah totally I expect to see everybody with a gun doing 360 no scope headshots, multiple headshots with the same bullet in SUPER slow motion and lens flare like it's some sort of Snyd-oh wait...

The issue that I'm raising is that the plot armour was visible and the action wasn't believable.

The plot armor was visible because...people on both sides missed their shots?

First people complain about armies needing to be fed, now it's a bad movie because the bad guys don't just immediately headshot the protagonists? Really breaking new ground in braindead poo poo to complain about.

Like there are other actually valid complaints to make, about the editing of the fight scenes, the pacing of the last act in particular, how the cut content makes the character seem flimsier, but no, instead we get "but why does an army need grain" and "why don't the bad guys simply aim better" :psyduck:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I think there's something to be said for just throwing in stuff like parasite jellyfish and weird aliens as a means of fleshing out a setting. Not everything has to be relevant to the plot. Regarding Gunnar, I thought it was kind of funny how he was a sort of damsel in distress while Kora was constantly bailing him out, it was a fun role reversal from how the tropes usually go.

In regards to the soldiers attempted sexual assault, I see it more as one part of a larger theme, where the motherworlds corrosive influence leads to all sorts of abuse and suffering. Sword-lady lost her kids, spider-lady got poisoned by the toxic mining industry that served the motherworld and lost her children as well, leading her to lash out, Kora got kidnapped and indoctrinated into the same war machine that slaughtered her world etc, it's just one of the many ways the evil empire is making life terrible for everyone, even those not directly in the warzone. The cruelty is part of the point.

If it makes you feel better, the r-rated version will not be adding to the sexual violence, only the regular bloody kind. It'll be an hour longer and from what I've gathered it will be spending more time delving into the story of the supporting cast, and i think that will deal with the biggest issue most people had with the movie in that it will flesh out the characters we don't get to spend much time with after the introductory sequence.

Anyway great post, disco

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

:psyduck:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

JazzFlight posted:

I also thought this movie was terrible for the same reasons posted above, but I don’t think anyone’s mentioned the horrible dialogue yet. Every character seemed to speak with the same voice and every line was much too complex/convoluted. No one just spoke casually. There were some really long flowery almost run-on sentence lines that kept taking me out of scenes. Combine that with some of the actors’ accents and it made me think that their characters would never speak like that.

Well no, normal people wouldn't speak like that, it's a bit too dramatic or theatrical for everyday speech, but we're not watching a documentary about space farmers, we're watching a space opera, so it's not so strange people would speak in a bit of a flourish. Personally i liked it, even if I can understand why it would be a bit of a turnoff.

I loved Kai's line about not even making it into the history books, and Bloodaxes little speech to rally his troops, and pretty much everything Admiral Noble said.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Flowers for QAnon posted:

As a non CD poster who likes some of Zach Snyder’s stuff, it’s incredibly bizarre to see multiple people levying personal attacks at posters who didn’t like the movie.

Well here's the thing, there are plenty of people who didn't like the movie who didn't get any flack because they posted thoughtful or genuine reviews. The people who do get pushback are the ones who post stupid poo poo like "Zack's fascist sensibilities" or arguing about loving grain for 3 pages or how the movie is bad because the stormtroopers miss their targets. It's cinemasins-level bullshit. Since you're not a regular here you might not be aware that we got an obnoxious amount of these types of disingenious hot takes and drive by shitposting so at this point we just don't offer the benefit of the doubt to the more extreme hot takes, and it's usually pretty easy to tell which is which.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

It did, however, show us djimon hounsou flexing his muscles, so i'd say it's a fair trade off. Of course, ideally we'd have both

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If they drag him aboard the ship against his will that would be interesting to see! I didn't interpret it that way, though, it seemed like they got him on board with their proposal and just elided over the "how."

The yellowbeard approach: Stagger stagger, crawl crawl

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1739765155540447266?s=20

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Watched the first 30 mins of the Netflix Cut out of curiousity, and this is mainly a genuinely unnerving ‘Nazi home invasion’ kind of deal that recalls Inglorious Basterds. The only noticeable slow-mo was an Obviously Symbolic pouch of seeds being dropped on the ground, and the moment was clearly slowed down for emphasis on the Obviously Symbolicness (coming shortly after a big speech about how this religious community values fertility, and a subsequent smaller speech about how the protagonist is uncomfortable with the idea of ‘settling down’).

All the cinematography is better than most stuff I’ve seen this year, the score is unsettling, the editing flows seamlessly, and they have both genetically-engineered future-horses and a Chappie.

So what are people getting mad about, again? There’s absolutely nothing objectionable here.

They're getting mad about the space nazis needing the rebel grain, apparently

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Gumball Gumption posted:

The brilliant subversion he's seeing is Alan Moore's work and subversion of comics ands what they were doing when he was writing Watchmen. It's very goofy and shows you think overly highly of your industry and your peers if he thinks that brilliant subversion came from Snyder when its just the base concept of the work he was adapting. His entire comment is really "boy it would have been cool if Watchmen came out after the movies that remade all those comic stories its subverting and commenting on" which is nothing and has nothing to do with Snyder.

It's really wierd that you think Nolan is too stupid to seperate Moore's work from Snyders. What Nolan is referring to, that you apparently didn't catch, is that Watchmen the movie is deconstructing the superhero movie genre the exact same way Watchmen the comic deconstructed the superhero comic book genre. And to be specific, Nolan means that Watchmen the movie deconstructed the superhero movie genre as it is today back when it was released 13 years ago. Watchmen could very well have been made as a response to the Avengers (the movie) but what Nolan was particularly impressed with is that it was a response to the Avengers (the movie) 3 years before it even came out.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

ungulateman posted:

Watchmen as a movie reminds me a lot of Team Fortress 2, a game which much more overtly takes the piss out of the industry and its specific genre by coming up with absurd justifications for the nonsensical elements of its world that stem from the requirements of the game (the identical teams fighting over abstract landscapes to accomplish vague objectives with lots of 'gamey' elements like health packs, respawning and anachronistic technologies)

And in doing so pretty much flawlessly parodied Overwatch, a game that came out nearly a decade later in the same genre but that was absolutely sincere, and simply looked the other way at the nonsensical elements that grew out of how the game works (the identical teams fighting over abstract landscapes to accomplish vague objectives with lots of 'gamey' elements like health packs, respawning and anachronistic technologies)

That's an excellent and also hilarious comparison

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

reignonyourparade posted:

There is something weird and interesting to King Nazi going."my daughter is going to finally put all this nazi poo poo behind us"

Bit of a spoiler I guess, but from what I've gathered, King Nazi was very much like the rest of the nazis until his daughter Issa was born. After her birth, he softened considerably, and fully believed Issa would lead them to a more peaceful existence. But the hawkish senate, led primarily by belisarius, didn't like his dovish change of heart. Considering it a betrayal, he put together a plot that got the royal family assassinated, and assumed power. In essence, Issa (arabic for Jesus (lol)) presumably healed the king spiritually, which doomed them all.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Blood Boils posted:

I'm iffy on del Toro but on the other hand I do enjoy that old weird fairy tale. Thanks!

Absolutely give it a shot, it's a great movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I am the ultimate killing machine.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Free SMG