Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
What the gently caress is the deal with Christmas "caroling"? Have you ever had a group of people show up singing at your door? Hell, any goons maybe even participate in this phenomenon?

:confused: for a while I thought maybe it was invented for television but probably it was invented by perverts (England?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
Nah Nah nah. No way now. Goodbye

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
It's called wassailing you idiot

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

It's called wassailing you idiot

Doubt it.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
wassail! all hail! Wassail hail! Hail!

*burp*

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

pretty sure its singing christmas songs.
Won a trivia game for knowing it

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
Also I am an idiot and don't know poo poo about anything

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Googled "Do people actually go caroling" and found a survey from 2013 that found that 16% of Americans actually go caroling. I thought that was an astoundingly high number, but 36% did it as kids.

And not just old people, 40% of Gen Xers said they did it as kids.

This is blowing my mind. Is this a regional thing?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Googled "Do people actually go caroling" and found a survey from 2013 that found that 16% of Americans actually go caroling. I thought that was an astoundingly high number, but 36% did it as kids.

And not just old people, 40% of Gen Xers said they did it as kids.

This is blowing my mind. Is this a regional thing?

loving liars. I have never met anyone who when to sing christmas songs

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
maybe it's a british thing, but, who gives a poo poo

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Caroling is for ads on TV. Just imagine how much the person who thought to put the word "Toyotathon" into Carol of the Bells was paid.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Sourdough Sam posted:

Caroling is for ads on TV. Just imagine how much the person who thought to put the word "Toyotathon" into Carol of the Bells was paid.

wassailing

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

case closed

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

where are we meeting op? let's get caroling

I back the blue!

Support your GBS mod team!
:patriot:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

sometimes I take a real long time and think about it, and, it doesn't work out

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

^ unironically though

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Ah, LegoRobot, the person we all aspire to be

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I do all my caroling solo, just stand in the middle of peoples yards and sing at the top of my lungs. Everyone loves it

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
There’s a group in my office that does this, timed perfectly for when I’m on a call with one of my customers.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

There’s a group in my office that does this, timed perfectly for when I’m on a call with one of my customers.

?????

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiQIHEU6PD8

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

op believes in a tradition where song belongs in big opulent established cathedrals, rather than free churches in barns or fields. episcopal rear end bitch

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Your coworkers hate you lol

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

They go throughout the building and stop on every floor to sing carols and every year without fail I’d be on a conference call trying to make big deal$ at the exact moment they’d visit my floor.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
christmas is about remembering jesus by doing a bunch of weird druid poo poo

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

op believes in a tradition where song belongs in big opulent established cathedrals, rather than free churches in barns or fields. episcopal rear end bitch

“When you carol, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to carol standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men … but when you carol, go into your room, close the door and carol to your father who is unseen.”
- Matthew 6:5-6

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Your coworkers hate you lol

This is highly likely but it’s a big office building with 20 floors and they hit every one

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

They go throughout the building and stop on every floor to sing carols and every year without fail I’d be on a conference call trying to make big deal$ at the exact moment they’d visit my floor.

Lmao

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

lol

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I did it for a few years as a teenager in the 90s with church youth group but it sounds insane now

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

yep. wondering if we should even ask him about the nature of the trinity or how to achieve salvation. of course we already know, and he's going to hell as a heretic

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I see having to deal with this as the same luxury tax people pay on Halloween. If you want to live in the nice fancy neighborhood, you have to deal with droves of kids looking for full size candy bars and also weird gently caress adults trying to do traditions from 100 years ago at Christmas time

Chrispurple
Dec 29, 2012

Oh man, this is gonna be great.
Where the gently caress is my figgy pudding

ChthonicMasturbatr
Sep 29, 2021

born on a mountain
live in a cave
hugging and tugging
is all that i crave
Was raised mormon, forced to do caroling with fellow pressganged youths as a "service opportunity". How is this service, I asked. Because it makes people happy, I was told. In spite of my scrupulosity, I entertained a thoughtcrime: maybe the people whose happiness depended on being randomly assaulted with flaccid, unrehearsed renditions of basic christmas music deserved to be unhappy.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

ChthonicMasturbatr posted:

maybe the people whose happiness depended on being randomly assaulted with flaccid, unrehearsed renditions of basic christmas music deserved to be unhappy.

deserving, and being, unhappy is the foundation stone of catholicism

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

anyway the welsh doorstep singing christmas monster is the best

kecske fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 13, 2023

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Caroling seems like an obnoxious thing to do

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

when i was a kid and lived in the suburbs i think maybe once there was a group of carolers but ive never seen one since and its definitely is not a common thing where i live

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 13, 2023
thing of the past. totally outlawed these days

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)