Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

wiki posted:

Central Norway started introducing Epic (branded “Helseplattformen”) in the winter 2023. After approximately two months, the public broadcaster NRK reported that around 25% of the doctors at the region's main hospital considered quitting their job, and that 40% were experiencing stress related health issues due to the new IT system. Previously, health personnel actively demonstrated against the software by marching though the city of Trondheim.[46] Due to the chaos ensuing the introduction, including 16.000 letters not being sent to patients, the Norwegian CEO of the Helseplattformen IT project, Torbjørg Vanvik, had her employment ended by the board. Unexpected cost increases forced the authorities to decrease efforts in other areas, such as a planned initiative on mental health. Employee representatives state that the public will receive ”significantly worse services“. A year after implementation over 90% of doctors in the affected hospitals considered the Epic system a threat to patient health, and hospital staff organised large demonstrations at seven hospitals that had or were planning on implementing Epic systems.

Helse Midt-Norge today forced Helse Møre og Romsdal in Norway to start with Epic / Helseplattformen even if M&R's own board voted against it. Helse Midt has sunk billions of NOK into Epic's trash heap already.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_Systems#Norwegian_experience

Was it Shaggar that worked at Epic? Maybe this should be a callout thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it may kill people but at least it's incredibly expensive

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ive never worked for epic, but i have worked with epic and can tell you it definitely sucks rear end

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

ahh

oh well, anyone else volunteer to being the thread appointed epic scapegoat?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

doctors just whiny because some of the nurses have the better skins and emotes

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Tankakern posted:

ahh

oh well, anyone else volunteer to being the thread appointed epic scapegoat?

le epic scapegoat, m'lord

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

flush this thread down Apotti

matti
Mar 31, 2019

Roosevelt posted:

lol

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Roosevelt posted:

yeah I can't build on this

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
sounds epic, op

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
also I want to organize demonstrations against bad software

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

i forgot to add uk's epic system to the topic

anyone know what they called epic over there?

you know epic's expensive since every installation must get its own name

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
every installation of epic is unique because they write code to order for each customer.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shaggar posted:

every installation of epic is unique because they write code to order for every customer.

bespoke EMRs

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah basically

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

just like getting an extremely fancy suit the sales experience is all compliments and 20 year scotch then they hand the actual work to some sweaty dudes in a basement

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

have we all discussed epic’s extremely, uh, epic harry potter themed HQ ballpit castle poo poo. feat staff having sobbing breakdowns in public

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Tankakern posted:

Helse Midt-Norge today forced Helse Møre og Romsdal in Norway to start with Epic / Helseplattformen even if M&R's own board voted against it. Helse Midt has sunk billions of NOK into Epic's trash heap already.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_Systems#Norwegian_experience

Was it Shaggar that worked at Epic? Maybe this should be a callout thread

I think that was leftest muslim obama or whatever her name was at the time.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
people make hospital software with unreal engine?

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

echinopsis posted:

people make hospital software with unreal engine?

M-M-M-ONSTER BILL

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

akadajet posted:

I think that was leftest muslim obama or whatever her name was at the time.

no, I think she worked on mumps stuff

I want to say it was tori but iirc he works in health insurance adjustment/claims software, which is probably an even more disgusting branch of all-american medtech

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Kernel Sanders posted:

M-M-M-ONSTER BILL

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Kernel Sanders posted:

M-M-M-ONSTER BILL

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

I want to say it was tori but iirc he works in health insurance adjustment/claims software, which is probably an even more disgusting branch of all-american medtech

i thought epic systems were mumps stuff

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Kernel Sanders posted:

M-M-M-ONSTER BILL

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

ok

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kernel Sanders posted:

M-M-M-ONSTER BILL

lmao

olorum
Apr 24, 2021

epic was deployed in Danish hospitals back in 2016 which similarly depressing results

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/06/06/epic-denmark-health-1510223

quote:

The problems were evident from the start. Epic’s medical terms were not tagged for easy translation, so Galster and his colleagues had to rely on Google Translate. There were howlers. “C-section,” in the Danish version, referred to an executive suite, not an emergency birth procedure. The American specialty “speech and language pathologist” does not exist in Denmark. The Danish system for a short time offered surgeons the choice of amputating the left leg or the “correct” leg.

The translation problem went deeper than mere words, said Galster, one of 350 hired for the $500 million implementation of Epic in eastern Denmark. Epic might work in the United States, he thought, but its design was so hard-coded in U.S. medical culture that it couldn’t be disentangled.

“When you open the hood in the Epic system, it plays ‘U.S.A, U.S.A, U.S.A,’” he said.

The system was turned on first at Herlev Hospital, a 28-floor tower overlooking Copenhagen’s northern suburbs — and created what Galster called “indescribable, total chaos.” Many who were there are still traumatized by having seen battle-hardened doctors and nurses weeping openly for days.

In the U.S., inpatient and outpatient visits are entirely separate. In Denmark, 80 percent of patients “float in and out” of the hospital, said Mette Rosendal Darmer, chief cancer nurse at Rigshospitalet, the country’s leading research hospital. A leukemia patient, for example, might come in daily for chemotherapy for a while. A bed was ready if she needed it. If not, she went home.

With Epic, the Danish clinicians had to reenter diagnoses and medications each time patients went between inpatient and outpatient in differently configured screens. Medications didn’t transfer from one to the other either.

To prevent medication errors, “the nurses check and check and check,” said Dinne Leth-Miller, a pharmacist at Rigshospitalet.

Reports to the Danish Patient Safety Board suggested the clumsy go-live may have contributed to deaths or injuries, though none were confirmed. Amid negative audits by government agencies, press coverage was terrible. Doctors told reporters that Epic had ruined their love of medicine.

“We are always afraid that we’ll overlook something that can have fatal consequences,” internist Per Boye Hansen wrote in the newspaper Politiken in December 2017. “There is very little time for the individual patient. Most of the day is spent sitting in front of the computer and clicking the mouse.”

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

yeah it's exactly the same issues in norway.

and helse midt knew about the issues with sundhetsplatformen before themselves going for epic, it's kinda baffling they did

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

a shame it's so difficult to find articles about helseplattformen that is in english and not paywalled.

https://www-nrk-no.translate.goog/m...&_x_tr_pto=wapp

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Kernel Sanders posted:

M-M-M-ONSTER BILL

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

Tankakern posted:

yeah it's exactly the same issues in norway.

and helse midt knew about the issues with sundhetsplatformen before themselves going for epic, it's kinda baffling they did

if norway is anything like sweden, the procurement process is driven by people who have been doing procurement forever, but for stuff like snow plowing or bathroom supplies for schools and why change a winning concept?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Kernel Sanders posted:

if norway is anything like sweden, the procurement process is driven by people who have been doing procurement forever, but for stuff like snow plowing or bathroom supplies for schools and why change a winning concept?

i'm guessing that + epic had the best powerpoint deck and the most expensive representation dinner/open bar

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

I thought mumps was mostly only used at Epic.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

akadajet posted:

I thought mumps was mostly only used at Epic.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
she worked for epic and dealt with mumps as part of that. mumps is a language/database thing that a ton of EHRs are based on.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

she worked for epic and dealt with mumps as part of that. mumps is a language/database thing that a ton of EHRs are based on.

not the one I work on.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the oldest ones tend to be mumps based, but anything new they're probably moving away from mumps cause its not great to develop in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

the oldest ones tend to be mumps based, but anything new they're probably moving away from mumps cause its not great to develop in

we’ve got a wpf/xaml based client that I refuse to touch