Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bad-yeti
Jul 29, 2004

Space Yeti.
Problem description: I thought it time to upgrade so have an ASRock B650 Lightning, with a Ryzen 5 7600, 32gb of 6000MT/s DDR5 ram and an RTX7900XT all waiting to go in my existing system (see below).

Currently I have an M.2 C: M.2 D: SSD E: SSD F:
D, E and F are full of games, and various programs, from audio players, progs like Filmora, Word etc, loads of different stuff.
If I just add the new hardware I feel like Windows is going to go mad, with new drivers etc i'd expect crashes all the time etc.
I'd rather not lose all my saves Pwds, links to programs, files info etc by doing a fresh install.

Is there a middle ground where I can keep all my links, etc, but somehow strip windows of all it's driver files so the new ones don't corrupt the system?

Attempted fixes: Nothing as of yet as i'm looking for advice.

Recent changes: See main description.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 all up to date.

System specs: Intel i7 8700K, ROG Strix z370-H, 16Gb am, Nvidia 1080Ti etc

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Thank you in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
There is a middle ground, it's almost the same as just reinstalling everything from scratch though.

What you do is: reinstall everything from scratch, and restore files and settings from backup. I'm not being a poo poo. You can actually do this and keep all your passwords etc.

Don't do the middle ground or any of that though. You (generally) should be OK just trying a hardware swap. Worst thing that can happen is it bluescreens immediately, but even that does no harm.

In essence: Try to boot with just the windows c: ssd in the new board. Add other ones later. If it doesnt work, try turning on "RAID" in boot options.

bad-yeti
Jul 29, 2004

Space Yeti.
Sometimes the simplest solution is the best.

Good call matey.

I shall do this.