Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

What were your favorite albums of this year? I want to see!

Here's the site where I made my lists, and it couldn't be easier to make them on there:
https://topsters.org/

I made a top 10 list and an honorable mentions list, and both are in alphabetical order:

e: Also, I realized that I maybe should have posted this thread in PYF instead. If it would be better suited to that forum, let me know and I'll close this thread and post it over there.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Either or. There isn't really much of a place where all genres can coexist in one thread so...

slandergoose
Jun 24, 2023
Some pretty good stuff came out this year, this is how my top 10 turned out:

1. KOAN Sound - Led By Ancient Light
2. Post Malone - Austin
3. A Winged Victory For The Sullen - All Our Friends Are Vampires
4. The Chug Project - The Chug Project, Vol. 1
5. Foo Fighters - But Here We Are
6. Jaku Zytecki - Remind Me
7. Fractures - Shift
8. Metallica - 72 Seasons
9. Balmorhea - Pendant World
10. Skrillex - Quest For Fire

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

My taste falls between teenage girl, hip-hop snob, country dude and a guy desperately hoping that rock comes back.

Now edited with the correct order.

screenwritersblues fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 17, 2023

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

drat, these are reminding me that I listened to some of these albums (like the slowthai and Killer Mike albums) and completely forgot about them haha

But wow, there are a lot of these I haven't heard, too.

slandergoose
Jun 24, 2023

screenwritersblues posted:

My taste falls between teenage girl, hip-hop snob, country dude and a guy desperately hoping that rock comes back.

Now edited with the correct order.

I didn't realize Killer Mike had a record out this year, I need to check it out.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Warning: I go out of my way to listen to an extremely wide range of music.

Arranged vaguely in order of preference:
Yves Tumor - Praise A Lord Who Chews But Which Does Not Consume (Or Simply, Hot Between Worlds). (Best combination of Prince and TV On The Radio).
Caroline Polachek - Desire, I Want To Turn Into You. (I've listened to Pang. It was good. This album is on a whole other level of amazing).
Janelle Monáe - The Age of Pleasure. (Extremely underrated album, IMHO).
Angel Electronics - ULTRA PARADISE. (Combination of black metal and the most wholesome, anime-rear end pop punk. Somehow, it works).
Jessie Ware - That! Feels Good!
Lil Yachty - Let's Start Here.
JPEGMAFIA & Danny Brown - SCARING THE HOES.
Midwife & Vyva Melinkolya - Orbweaving.
Amaarae - Fountain Baby. (Amaarae was also on Janelle's album and she's also a great artist).
Ashnikko - Weedkiller.
Ice Spice - Like...? (Could also be titled Scaring The Bros for how much Ice Spice's mere presence bothered so many people).
Nuovo Testamento - Love Lines.
Alex Andwandter - El diablo en el cuerpo.
Eartheater - Powders.
Joanna Sternberg - I've Got Me. (Joanna sounds like Joanna Newsom vocally, but they're much less lyrically verbose and more musically succinct and straightforward).

Albums I haven't listened to very much, but I already know they're good:
Hozier - Unreal Unearth.
Godcaster - S/T.
Lankum - False Lankum.
Young Fathers - Heavy Heavy. (BIG TV On The Radio vibes from these guys).

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That Lil Yachty album was originally on my list(s), but since it came out in January, I guess it ended up getting knocked off in favor of stuff I listened to/liked more from the rest of this year.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Here's mine. I didn't really get to listen to a lot of new music in 2023 so it's mostly just releases from artists I already enjoy. Pleasantly surprised with the Chappell Roan and Wednesday albums. Desire... is just on a whole other level from these though, it should really get its own tier.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Avatarnew album has been AOTY so far. Great Show Metal.

The Hives made a great comeback album. Looking forward to their tour.

Angus McSix is Cheesy power metal from ex-Gloryhammer singer.

The BossHoss is authentic German Techno-Country-Rock. Yee-haa, pardner.

Lyrre is ex-Eluveitie Hurdy-gurdists solo-album. Good atmo-metal.

Old Gods of Asgard is the Power metal band from Remedy games.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Late but posting:

exquisite tea posted:

Desire... is just on a whole other level from these though, it should really get its own tier.

It's true, Caroline Polachek loving rules

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
gently caress I didn't even know Earthside had a new album or were even still around.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Eyud posted:

Late but posting:

It's true, Caroline Polachek loving rules
Thanks for reminding me to listen to that Steven Wilson album! I remember hearing one of the singles in the prog thread and thinking it sounded excellent, but I guess I didn't know the album had released yet.

whoscookinbacon
Apr 4, 2011
MY most listened to, that came out in 2023. I couldn't do the grid thing becuase I made the mistake
of listening of One Wayne G and it threw in some non-2023 stuff

15. WEDNESDAY, Rat Saw God

14. BLUR, The Ballad of Darren

13. HORSE JUMPER OF LOVE, Heartbreak Rules

12.QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE, In Times New Roman

11. DANNY BROWN, Quaranta

10. ANONHI & THE JOHNSONS, My Back Was a Bridge For You to Cross

9. JPEGMAFIA & DANNY BROWN, Scaring the Hoes

8. DAMIEN JURADO, Motorcycle Madness

7. DOUG PAISLEY, Say What You Like

6. PJ HARVEY, I Inside the Old Year Dying

5. DAMIEN JURADO, Sometimes You Hurt the Ones You Hate

4. WILCO, Cousin

3. EARL SWEATSHIRT & THE ALCHEMIST, Voir Dire

2. CAROLINE POLACHEK, Desire, I Want to Turn Into You

1. PROTOMARTYR, Formal Growth in the Desert

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Top five are pretty solidly my top five 1-5 but after that there's not particular order:

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

mostly just listen to individual songs on youtube now i guess. still have cds in the car though i played through these multiple times

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
poo poo, I forgot to post this when it was relevant.

This is every 2024 project on my to-listen list that I gave at least four stars on RYM. My absolute favorites are the underscores album, followed by the new Aesop Rock, James Holden and Home Is Where.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Underscores album was absolutely my AOTY 2023. saw her live too and it was an incredible show