Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

congrats to Greta making a billion dollar film, what a gal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Heavy_D posted:

the colour, sets and framing are delightful

saladscooper posted:

this is a confluence of a lot of conflicting ideas about faith, science, and art

checkplease posted:

I like how wild it gets with all its choices and just goes for it with the over the top design

Maxwell Lord posted:

This is a film that actively tells you it won't all fit together, and there's something there about how life never quite fits together and things happen we'll never fully understand

josh04 posted:

breezy, unassuming, utterly crushing, smart, unashamedly intellectual, silly, funny, lurid. If I watch it again I will cry.

Escobarbarian posted:

the framing and camera movements are always perfect, the production design is sumptuous, the ensemble cast is impeccable
[...]
I found it so beautiful and touching, a profound statement on the power of art

8. Asteroid City (2023) dir. Wes Anderson
6 lists - 37 points

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
This is fun stuff. Hopefully other goons see they are missing out so it gets bigger next year.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Gripweed posted:

it's like the prototypical crowd pleasing blockbuster. But it does that without sacrificing death depth or refusing to get dark at times

checkplease posted:

a human story with relatable and emotional characters again

Kazzah posted:

Unusually human-focused, and I mean that as a compliment

Shneak posted:

Imagine being Christopher Nolan watching this and realizing your biopic about the atom bomb inventor only has the 2nd best nuclear explosion of the year

Maxwell Lord posted:

Captures the brutal fear and anxiety of the character's origin

raven77 posted:

I admit I got teary-eyed more than once, and that's never happened to me when watching a monster movie!

7. Godzilla Minus One (2023) dir. Takashi Yamazaki
6 lists - 43 points

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 1, 2024

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

This is great; I'm sure the top ten will all be 2023-heavy just based on what I remember of others' lists but I liked that it was open to all years. This was a really cool idea that I hope to see come back next year!

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Animation is cinema.

Kangra posted:

I really loved the character design.

DMCrimson posted:

a meaningful endcap to how we build a new world for ourselves instead of supporting a past world out of inertia. What an absolute triumph.

checkplease posted:

beautifully animated and weird contemplative film about how to live and keep going in the face of tragedy

Chadzok posted:

What a gift, what a wondrous childlike attitude he's held throughout his career. I wish I could give him a huge hug.

surf rock posted:

Miyazaki never misses

6. The Boy and the Heron (2023) dir. Hayao Miyazaki
6 lists - 46 points

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

checkplease posted:

This is fun stuff. Hopefully other goons see they are missing out so it gets bigger next year.

The GOTY thread started out pretty humble 5 years ago and is now ...quite large. The first year's incarnation only had 59 goons who submitted. Considering how much larger the games community is on SA than the film community, I'd say this thread is a success already. Next year will be even bigger!

Thank you Shoog!

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

checkplease posted:

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I'd say this thread is a success already. Next year will be even bigger!

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

This was a really cool idea that I hope to see come back next year!

i'm happy that it has as much traction as it does have with such short notice. this was a great exercise in sharpening some spreadsheet skills and dicking around in photoshop. i'm happy to do it again and i'd like to think more people will participate if i start the thread earlier and do more thread-marketing for it

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

saladscooper posted:

hysterical and audacious and, at times, offensive

Maxwell Lord posted:

if movies like this can keep getting made I think this whole cinema thing might survive

Escobarbarian posted:

Idiosyncratic, bizarre, and audacious, with absolutely beautiful cinematography, a consistently hilarious script, and one of the wildest and bravest lead performances I’ve seen in some time

checkplease posted:

I love how weird this was and it’s probably the funniest movie I saw this year

I, Butthole posted:

Summarising the wildly creative and insane worldbuilding and presentation in words can't do it justice
[...]
An incredibly fun and perverse ride

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Yorgos has mastered the art of making the absurd accessible. Or the accessible absurd. Idfk.

5. Poor Things (2023) dir. Yorgos Lanthimos
8 lists - 57 points

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

emma stone and mark ruffalo are funny as gently caress on screen together

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Depth! I meant sacrificing depth!

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

emma stone and mark ruffalo are funny as gently caress on screen together

i almost used an image of the two of them together instead but it was more mark than emma and i wanted her to be the focus. but yeah ruffalo is so loving hilarious at being a jealous baby.

Gripweed posted:

Depth! I meant sacrificing depth!

lol fixed. i thought you meant that it wasn't afraid to show characters die or something i just shrugged and hit copy/paste

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Nightmare Cinema posted:

*Electrons vibrate through my fingers*

Maxwell Lord posted:

A nice study of unintended consequences

Kangra posted:

the spectacle is amazing

Chadzok posted:

I especially love his driving, anxious, thumping soundtracks but it does have the effect of triggering my anxiety (in a kinda good way) and I had to pop a xanax after this flick

josh04 posted:

These were real people but they may as well be in the plot of Interstellar with the scope of the world-historic change they provoked

checkplease posted:

We need more cool scientist films like this

I, Butthole posted:

I'm just going to quote the great John Waters here: "Deserves the Oscar for being a big-budget, star-studded, intelligent action movie about talking."

Escobarbarian posted:

Stupendous visuals, a ton of fantastic performances, excellent pacing, and Nolan’s best solo script to date

4. Oppenheimer (2023) dir. Christopher Nolan
10 lists - 59 points

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Tenet, now there's a movie a guy can watch

drk
Jan 16, 2005

checkplease posted:

This thread inspired me to make a letterboxd account, so I will post next year

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

surf rock posted:

The first romance film I ever legitimately loved gets the top spot.

Shneak posted:

Thought this movie wasn’t going to hit me the same way as it did everybody else until I was hunched over the kitchen sink, eating Cheez Whiz, and crying 5 minutes after it ended.

Kangra posted:

A genuinely thoughtful and moving film. It is rare to see something that gives such a strong impression of its creator

Heavy_D posted:

A wonderfully observed tale, with its head and its heart in the right place

Escobarbarian posted:

by the end I - and seemingly everyone else in the screen, judging from the noises I heard - was a complete mess

distortion park posted:

Made me tear up in a happy way.

Chadzok posted:

I was choked up through a whole lot of this movie and I loving cried so, so much at the end. So simple, beautiful, heartbreaking, heartwarming, just lovely.

DMCrimson posted:

I've seen a lot of emotionally devastating movies but hard for one to top Past Lives.

3. Past Lives (2023) dir. Celine Song
9 lists - 61 points

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

drk posted:

This thread inspired me to make a letterboxd account, so I will post next year

Yeah it’s a cool little app, use it how you will.

I just wish for this I could have figured out how to take all my films from 2023 I watched and automatically make a list to then sort how I wanted. Instead I added them one at a time. I assume I’m missing something.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Past Lives was in my best of the year, even if it missed out on my top ten. The bar scene is one of the most beautiful conversations of the year and while I don't put much stock in the Oscars I truly hope this one makes a splash. Celine Song is one to watch.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

checkplease posted:

Yeah it’s a cool little app, use it how you will.

I just wish for this I could have figured out how to take all my films from 2023 I watched and automatically make a list to then sort how I wanted. Instead I added them one at a time. I assume I’m missing something.

letterboxd.com/[your-username-here]/films/year/2023/by/entry-rating/

you would then make a list manually, and idk if there's a way to convert the above more conveniently, but that link with those filters will show you your movies from 2023 ranked by your own rating

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

saladscooper posted:

In lieu of actually talking about this movie, I'm going to write out what was going through my mind while I was watching it: WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Maxwell Lord posted:

Overstuffed in the good way, full of memorable characters and moments

Gripweed posted:

An absolute visual masterpiece anchored by super strong emotional character cores

Gaius Marius posted:

THIS is what animation should be, creative, beautiful, unorthodox, funny, willing to break the mold

Escobarbarian posted:

The visuals are so sublime and vibrant they make the first look like your typical Fox animated sitcom - in greyscale

checkplease posted:

the opening 20 minutes were probably my most “holy poo poo wow” moments in a theater this year and then it just kept going

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Animation is cinema.

Chadzok posted:

They did it again. Come on guys - one more and you'll have the best super-hero and the best animated trilogy of all time.

2. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (2023) dir. Joaquim Dos Santos, Justin K. Thompson, Kemp Powers
10 lists - 70 points

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

oh snap

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I feel bad for not liking Spiderverse 2 as much as other people but man it was just felt exhausting in a bad way.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I knew it, All That Jazz is the number one movie of 2023!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Spiderverse 2 was undoubtedly thrilling, noisy, and beyond creative, with an unbelievably excellent and bold ending, but it just lacked the coherent nature of the first for me. Still brilliant, just "top 50" brilliant in my eyes rather than top ten.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Spiderverse 2 was undoubtedly thrilling, noisy, and beyond creative, with an unbelievably excellent and bold ending, but it just lacked the coherent nature of the first for me. Still brilliant, just "top 50" brilliant in my eyes rather than top ten.

I liked the added character depth, but understand preferring the first for its complete package. Also what’s up danger moment.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Gripweed posted:

I knew it, All That Jazz is the number one movie of 2023!

It might make my top 5 all time.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

drumroll please

🥁
🥁
🥁
🥁
🥁

Cinema Discusso's first annual(?) Movie of the Year goes to...

I, Butthole posted:

Precise filmmaking, pure cinema

Heavy Metal posted:

tackles such harrowing subject matter with trademark bits of black humor and offkilter non-melodramatic approach

checkplease posted:

incredibly crafted American tale of greed and treachery

Maxwell Lord posted:

The totality of what it shows is hard to sum up in adjectives. A document of a crime, and a story of guilt and complicity, and also survival.

Gaius Marius posted:

Not often do you see an elderly director so thoroughly school the new kids on the block in what is and isn’t great about cinema

Escobarbarian posted:

so many stunning scenes and performances and ideas, culminating in one of the best and most affecting series of climactic scenes I’ve ever seen

distortion park posted:

a story which both is important and more significantly feels important while you're watching

Kazzah posted:

What sticks with me the most are the quiet parts, just inhabiting this place and these people's lives

1. Killers of the Flower Moon (2023) dir. Martin Scorsese
12 lists - 84 points

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Completely unsurprising but still warranted. Hardly a year where Scorsese made a film that it didn't deserve the crown

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

i'm happy enough with that outcome

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

astounding production design on that film btw

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

i want more stats plz

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

i want more stats plz

ehhh i dont really have any or know how to extract anything more interesting. here are some interesting(??) things about some of the years on the list

Movies on more than one list that did not place in the top 15

code:
Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (2023)                      - 2 lists - 2 points
Showing Up (2022)                                                   - 2 lists - 4 points
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (2023)                               - 3 lists - 6 points
The Venture Bros.: Radiant Is the Blood of the Baboon Heart (2023)  - 3 lists - 7 points
The Vast of Night (2019)                                            - 2 lists - 8 points
BlackBerry (2023)                                                   - 3 lists - 8 points
The Eight Mountains (2022)                                          - 2 lists - 10 points
Crimes of the Future (2022)                                         - 2 lists - 13 points
Beau is Afraid (2023)                                               - 3 lists - 13 points
The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar (2023)                           - 2 lists - 13 points
Skinamarink (2022)                                                  - 2 lists - 16 points
Suzume (2022)                                                       - 3 lists - 16 points ("best" movie of 2022 - same points as Skinamarink, but on more lists)
The Killer (2023)                                                   - 5 lists - 18 points (most listed movie that did not place)
reposting the below list from the post i put right before the top 15 started:
Some stats about years

code:
2023 - Most popular year                               - 72 movies
2022 - Second most popular year                        - 16 movies
2017 - Most popular latest year (besides '23 and '22)  - 4 movies
1973 - Most popular earliest year                      - 5 movies
1943 - Earliest year on list                           - 1 movie

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 1, 2024

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Really great stuff! Thanks for running this, Shoog, and I definitely hope it gains more traction next year. Very pleased with the results, Flower Moon was such an excellent movie.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

here is every unique movie with the total points, number of lists it appeared on, and year

code:
Points  Occurrences  Year  Movie
84      12           2023  Killers of the Flower Moon
70      10           2023  Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
61      9            2023  Past Lives
59      10           2023  Oppenheimer
57      8            2023  Poor Things
46      6            2023  The Boy and the Heron
43      6            2023  Godzilla Minus One
37      6            2023  Asteroid City
36      6            2023  Barbie
34      6            2023  May December
29      4            2023  The Holdovers
28      6            2023  How to Blow Up a Pipeline
27      4            2023  Anatomy of a Fall
23      4            2023  John Wick: Chapter 4
20      3            2023  The Zone of Interest
18      5            2023  The Killer
16      2            2022  Skinamarink
16      3            2022  Suzume
13      3            2023  Beau is Afraid
13      2            2022  Crimes of the Future
13      2            2022  Pearl
13      2            2023  The Creator
13      2            2023  The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar
13      2            2023  Bottoms
10      1            1979  All That Jazz
10      1            1976  Allegro Non Troppo
10      1            2023  Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret
10      1            2022  Avatar: The Way of Water
10      1            1997  Hana-Bi
10      1            2000  In The Mood For Love
10      1            2023  Inside the Yellow Cocoon Shell
10      1            2023  Rye Lane
10      2            2023  The Eight Mountains
10      1            2012  Locke
9       1            1957  12 Angry Men
9       1            2023  Do Not Expect Too Much from the End of the World
9       1            2023  Monster
9       1            2022  Pinball: The Man Who Saved the Game
9       1            1971  The Boy Friend
9       1            2022  Tár
8       3            2023  BlackBerry
8       1            2023  Blue Beetle
8       1            1991  Clearcut
8       1            2023  Close Your Eyes
8       1            1972  Female Prisoner 701: Scorpion
8       1            1959  Floating Weeds
8       1            2023  Joy Ride
8       1            2005  Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
8       1            2023  Priscilla
8       1            2023  Renaissance: A Film by Beyoncé
8       1            2023  Shin Kamen Rider
8       2            2019  The Vast of Night
7       1            1986  52 Pick-Up
7       1            2023  Ferrari
7       1            2023  Kokomo City
7       1            2023  Late Night with the Devil
7       1            2023  Napoleon
7       1            2023  No Hard Feelings
7       1            1991  The People Under the Stairs
7       3            2023  The Venture Bros.: Radiant Is the Blood of the Baboon Heart
7       1            1966  The Witch In Love
7       1            1973  The Wicker Man
6       1            2007  Death Proof
6       1            2023  Four Daughters
6       3            2023  Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
6       1            2023  Kill Boksoon
6       1            2023  Kindred
6       1            1981  Knightriders
6       1            1990  Metropolitan
6       1            2023  Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One
6       1            2023  Return To Seoul
6       1            2023  Scrapper
6       1            2015  Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi! Final Chapter
6       1            2023  Talk To Me
6       1            1971  Throw Away Your Books, Rally In The Streets
5       1            2023  Birth/Rebirth
5       1            2022  Everything Everywhere All At Once
5       1            1962  Night Creatures
5       1            1983  Nostalghia
5       1            1985  Police Story Trilogy
5       1            2023  Polite Society
5       1            2008  Rachel Getting Married
5       1            2023  Rebel Moon
5       1            2008  Synecdoche, NY
5       1            1998  Taxi
5       1            2023  The Equalizer 3
5       1            1983  The Very Late Afternoon of the Faun
4       1            2023  20 Days in Mariupol
4       1            2023  David Holmes: The Boy Who Lived
4       1            2022  Falcon Lake
4       1            2023  Hit Man
4       1            2023  How to Have Sex
4       1            1985  Lifeforce
4       1            2023  Paathan
4       1            2023  Shazam! Fury of the Gods
4       2            2022  Showing Up
4       1            1987  The Emperor's Naked Army Marches On
4       1            2014  The Equalizer
4       1            1973  The Spook Who Sat By The Door
4       1            2017  Tremble All You Want
4       1            2023  You Hurt My Feelings
3       2            1984  Stop Making Sense
3       1            2023  A Haunting in Venice
3       1            2022  Elvis
3       1            2012  Frances Ha
3       1            2023  Fremont
3       1            2022  M3GAN
3       1            2022  Pinocchio
3       1            2023  Sympathy For the Devil
3       1            2022  The Banshees of Inisherin
3       1            1974  The Deer
3       1            1968  The Great Silence
3       1            2023  The Pigeon Tunnel
2       1            2023  Afire
2       1            2023  American Fiction
2       1            1973  Charley Varrick
2       1            2023  Cobweb
2       2            2023  Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves
2       1            2023  Elemental
2       1            2022  Glass Onion
2       1            2014  It Follows
2       1            1975  Jeanne Dielman, 23 quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles
2       1            2017  Logan Lucky
2       1            2020  Palm Springs
2       1            2023  Poison
2       1            1991  Ricochet
2       1            2013  Her
1       1            1943  Day of Wrath
1       1            2023  Fast X
1       1            2022  Master Gardiner
1       1            2023  Pathaan
1       1            2017  Phantom Thread
1       1            2008  Ponyo
1       1            2005  The Booth
1       1            1973  The Devil's Cleavage
1       1            2022  The Fabelmans
1       1            2023  When Evil Lurks
1       1            2001  Donnie Darko
1       1            2005  Linda Linda Linda
1       1            1962  Harakiri
1       1            1989  The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover
1       1            2000  Almost Famous
1       1            1999  The Matrix
1       1            2017  One Cut Of The Dead
1       1            1973  American Graffiti
1       1            2021  Titane

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 2, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Y’all need to watch The Booth, let’s get that on some 2024 lists.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

here's a letterboxd list of all the 2023 movies voted for more than once, if you're into that kinda thing.

i'm open to making adjustments to include other movies or whatever else anyone thinks makes the most sense

edit: updated to add bottoms to the list, incorrectly originally left off

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 2, 2024

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

How were points totaled again? I also swear someone else had Stop Making Sense on their list but I'm not really checking.

Overall, very fun, and seems like a great list for 2023. I really have to watch May December.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

It can sometimes be deceiving. Bottoms, for example, was listed multiple times including myself, but often outside of the top 10, and one person didn't write blurbs for it. So even though it was widely seen it didn't score many actual points in the running.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

How were points totaled again? I also swear someone else had Stop Making Sense on their list but I'm not really checking.

Overall, very fun, and seems like a great list for 2023. I really have to watch May December.

ah shoot, you're right!

but because Kazzah posted his entry like this:

Kazzah posted:

8. Stop Making Sense (1984) *

i just copy/pasted and used that year. apparently the original release is from 1984 and 2023 was a re-release in theaters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

It can sometimes be deceiving. Bottoms, for example, was listed multiple times including myself, but often outside of the top 10, and one person didn't write blurbs for it. So even though it was widely seen it didn't score many actual points in the running.

i counted the one person who posted a list with no blurbs just bc i was happy for the participation, but i can/will be more strict if we do it again next year

one person posted a list with no blurbs, and another posted a list with no blurbs but a link to a medium article they wrote with blurbs, so i pulled quotes from there

edit: frick! i'm seeing bottoms on more than one list that i did count, but my spreadsheet didn't update. fixing now. i knew there would be blunders.. d'oh!

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 2, 2024