Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I went to a natural history museum recently and something that came to mind is if things like the T-Rex still looked like that or if they all had feathers and stuff now. Was it just tetrapods or did things like stegosaurus or triceratops also have feathers or what?

I remember some fan art of hippos and ostriches demonstrating what would happen if we gave extant animals the same treatment we give dinosaurs by making them look all scaly and scary. Also if you don’t have answers maybe we can talk about dinosaurs in general and maybe cool facts about them.

Best wishes,

Buglord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

General Bullshit › What do dinosaurs look like now?

They look like bones, op.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
You know good and well what I meant

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Serious reply, dinosaurs are loving cool. They've changed a lot since I was a kid and I'm sure they'll continue to change.
I'm not sure what the most commonly accepted renders are to date but I personally really like the feathered dinos, perfect mix of cute and loving terrifying.
I live relatively close to 'Dinosaur, Colorado' and we've been meaning to make a trip up there to see the fossils at the national park. I'm gonna get so much dino merch.

Also Colorado has cool as hell dinosaur license plates coming out. They're available Jan 1.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Dinosaur Stomp posted:

Dinosaurs have great big feet that stomp, stomp, stomp
Dinosaurs have great big teeth that chomp, chomp, chomp
Stomp, stomp, stomp, and a chomp, chomp, chomp
Stomp, stomp, stomp, and a chomp, chomp, chomp
Stomp-a-saurus, stomp, stomp
Chomp-a-saurus, chomp, chomp
I'm-a-saurus, stomp, stomp
You're-a-saurus, chomp, chomp

Dinosaurs have great big claws that crunch, crunch, crunch
Dinosaurs have great big jaws that munch, munch, munch
Crunch, crunch, crunch, and a munch, munch, munch
Crunch, crunch, crunch, and a munch, munch, munch
Crunch-a-saurus, crunch, crunch
Munch-a-saurus, munch, munch
I'm-a-saurus, crunch, crunch
You're-a-saurus, munch, munch
Stomping and a chomping
Crunching and a munching
Stomping and a chomping
Crunching and a munching
Stomp-a-saurus, stomp, stomp
Chomp-a-saurus, chomp, chomp
Crunch-a-saurus, crunch, crunch
Munch-a-saurus, munch, munch
I'm-a-saurus, stomp, stomp
You're-a-saurus, chomp, chomp
We're-a–saurus, crunch, crunch
Dinosaurus, munch, munch

Dinosaurs have great big feet that stomp, stomp, stomp
Dinosaurs have great big teeth that chomp, chomp, chomp

Dinosaurs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw8fapoBDK4

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

sup

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

buglord posted:

I remember some fan art of hippos and ostriches demonstrating what would happen if we gave extant animals the same treatment we give dinosaurs by making them look all scaly and scary.

Yeah, it's called the "shrink-wrapped dinosaur movement." Worth a google. A lot of dinosaur artists had a bad habit of forgetting that most animals aren't the same shape as their skeleton. Which I guess was in turn a reaction to the old-school "ponderous swamp lizard" style of dinosaur illustration.
Anywho, I posted this in one of the previous GBS dinosaur threads. Dimetrodons aren't dinosaurs, but still: what kind of colour schemes might our PREHISTORIC PALS had?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Your mom.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Grey Cat posted:

Also Colorado has cool as hell dinosaur license plates coming out. They're available Jan 1.

BRB, gonna register my car in Colorado

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I did some research and here's an artist's rendition updated to the rigorous 2023 standards.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

buglord posted:

I went to a natural history museum recently and something that came to mind is if things like the T-Rex still looked like that or if they all had feathers and stuff now. Was it just tetrapods or did things like stegosaurus or triceratops also have feathers or what?

I remember some fan art of hippos and ostriches demonstrating what would happen if we gave extant animals the same treatment we give dinosaurs by making them look all scaly and scary. Also if you don’t have answers maybe we can talk about dinosaurs in general and maybe cool facts about them.

Best wishes,

Buglord.

serious reply:

to the best of our knowledge, stegosaurus and its close relatives did not have feathers. we have no evidence for triceratops or its more well known relatives like styracosaurus or protoceratops having feathers, but there is at least one ceratopsian, psittacosaurus, that did have what appears to be structures most likely derived from feathers. other ornithiscians show more concrete evidence of feathers but they are far less common than in theropods.

i'm partial to the idea that feathers are, if not basal to all archosaurs, then to at least ornithodira (dinosaurs and pterasaurs), but there is not any direct evidence suggesting this yet, just some possible clues such as feathers possibly being present in both pterasaurs (in the form of pycnofibers) and dinosaurs (specifically theropods and ornithiscians; i don't think any sauropods have ever been found with evidence for feathers or structures homologous to them).

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

here's our guy

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

serious reply:

While the serious replies are happening, where are we up to with quetzalcoatlas? Could it actually fly? What would it have eaten? How is it real???

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

That's coal. All of which formed during the carboniferous period 300 million years ago from dead vegetation.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
One of my least favorite kind of people are people in their 30's and older who whine about feathered dinosaurs, glad this isn't that

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I was going to do a talk once about how all the Stegosaur species didn’t show much variation in shape, then the week before I gave it they found one with a very long neck like it was Karl Popper’s loving black swan

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
there's a docudrama that has some intriguing possibilities for your consideration

it's called "The Flintstones"

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Tree Bucket posted:

While the serious replies are happening, where are we up to with quetzalcoatlas? Could it actually fly? What would it have eaten? How is it real???

quetz almost certainly did fly, i think the main debate now is whether it was a relatively powerful soaring flier or it could only fly in short bursts for short distances like a turkey. i don't know enough about biomechanics of flight to add anything worthwhile so i just choose to believe they spent a lot of time airborne 'cause it's way cooler.

likewise, ideas about its eating habits are all over the place. it probably was not piscivorous like a lot of pterasaus were given its habitat, but beyond that, we won't know until and unless we find one with fossilized food in its gut (which is entirely possible, so here's to hoping).

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

they look like my dilznik op

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

all gross and full of parasites. covered in feathers. etc.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
not the momma

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

Anyone remember that song that was like "Hey get on the floor everybody do the Dinosaur". Did I just make that up. I think that song existed.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Oil and coal are the remains of dead plants not dinosaurs you idiot. You gigantic moron.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Grey Cat posted:

I did some research and here's an artist's rendition updated to the rigorous 2023 standards.

i think he looks very polite.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Oil and coal are the remains of dead plants not dinosaurs you idiot. You gigantic moron.

That’s an image of a doyouthinkhesaurus, who is hiding from the cops

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Buce posted:

they look like my dilznik op

you should use more lotion

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
turn off your monitor op

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Grey Cat posted:

goddamn paleontology majors ruining the whimsy of dinosaurs by shoveling "scientifically-accurate" garbage like this to the public

naem
May 29, 2011

birds are dinosaurs

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Hollismason posted:

Anyone remember that song that was like "Hey get on the floor everybody do the Dinosaur". Did I just make that up. I think that song existed.

I think I’ve heard of it. Or maybe we were at the same Skateworld 7th grade party?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

This is generally considered the most up-to-date reconstruction of a T. Rex: https://chicago.suntimes.com/2020/7/30/21348242/sue-t-rex-field-museum-flesh-model No feathers as adults, we have scale impressions from various parts of the body that rule out a complete feather coat, and a partial covering seems unlikely based on size. Juveniles are considered likely to be feathered at hatching then lose the feathering before reaching their full size.

Non-therapods didn't have advanced feathers, but are likely to have some kind of filament or bristle covering on parts or all of their bodies that evolved from the same source as feathers. This is the most accurate reconstruction of a Psittacosaurus from a very detailed fossil that preserved soft tissue impressions, color patterns, and tail bristles: https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/animals/a22884/most-accurate-dinosaur-replica/

Again, larger non-therapods were unlikely to have had much in the way of complete coverings based on surviving skin impressions and biomechanics of heat loss (large animals would overheat if insulated), with the possible exception of dinosaurs that lived at high elevations or near the poles. This is the largest known feathered dinosaur, a therapod that lived in cold environments and was about twice the size of a polar bear: https://www.science.org/content/article/researchers-unearth-largest-feathered-dinosaur

So basically most big dinosaurs were probably scaly and looked fairly traditional, medium and small dinosaurs likely had some degree of covering.

Check out Prehistoric Planet if you haven't, while the behaviors are mostly speculative the general looks are the most accurate Cretaceous animals ever CGI'd.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Grey Cat posted:

Cutiepieasaurus

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023
Thank you to those actually answering, it's an interesting question

Szechwan fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 19, 2023

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

quetz almost certainly did fly, i think the main debate now is whether it was a relatively powerful soaring flier or it could only fly in short bursts for short distances like a turkey. i don't know enough about biomechanics of flight to add anything worthwhile so i just choose to believe they spent a lot of time airborne 'cause it's way cooler.

likewise, ideas about its eating habits are all over the place. it probably was not piscivorous like a lot of pterasaus were given its habitat, but beyond that, we won't know until and unless we find one with fossilized food in its gut (which is entirely possible, so here's to hoping).

Good stuff. I'm trying to imagine what you do with a metres-long beak. Kingfishers and bee-eaters have a similar shape happening, but I can't imagine a quetzalcoatlas nimbly grabbing flying prey on the wing, or snapping fish out of the water without levering its own neck in half.
As you said, we really need to find a fossil with gut contents...

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I miss them

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The t-rex did not have feathers they recently found some ancient skin imprints that proved they were scaly. Raptors had feathers though. Someone already said this but I want to feel smart and important

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tree Bucket posted:

Good stuff. I'm trying to imagine what you do with a metres-long beak. Kingfishers and bee-eaters have a similar shape happening, but I can't imagine a quetzalcoatlas nimbly grabbing flying prey on the wing, or snapping fish out of the water without levering its own neck in half.
As you said, we really need to find a fossil with gut contents...

They subsisted primarily on takeout. Sesame chicken was their preferred prey but fossilized whopper wrapper deposits located nearby demonstrate that they were not above hitting up burger drive thrus when food was scarce.