Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

If the bottom one is a Blue Jay Dino, gently caress him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
The dreaded blue jeaned Jay Leno

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I'd like to see the realistic version of velociraptors in film, a bunch of chickens that want to chunk you into parts while alive is still plenty scary.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

When I am out in the forest and the chickadees are gathered about me, chirping, I know a larger truth.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
What dinosaurs looked like

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lol I totally forgot about grandma dino

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The only joke from that show that I remember sort of hitting is when they get to talk to some studio producer and one of them asks how they keep coming up with such great shows,and he admits they only have 4 they keep shuffling and hoping nobody notices, and they all just nod

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

His Divine Shadow posted:

Realest kids show of the 90s

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I like this cute giant T-Rex

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

His Divine Shadow posted:

went out with a bang

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

My throat pouches bring all the girls to the yard

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

itry posted:

I like this cute giant T-Rex

I enjoy it also

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

We actually know (or at least make an informed guess at) the coloration of some feathered dinosaurs! While the pigment molecules in feathers aren't preserved in fossils, the actual color more depends on the shape and distribution of the pigment-bearing melanosomes, and those can be recorded in certain fossils.

Microraptor, for example, seems to have been an iridescent black like a crow, while Anchiornis had a reddish crest on its head. Sinosauropteryx had bands of white and reddish-brown on its tail and a "racoon mask" pattern around its eyes!

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Ooooh, big birds that can't fly, real fuckin' scary. Beware the Turkeysaurus.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

BigBadSteve posted:

Elephants are big bats that can't fly, when you think about it. Still wouldn't wanna tangle with one.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Asterite34 posted:

Elephants are big bats that can't fly, when you think about it. Still wouldn't wanna tangle with one.

If birds become dinosaurs, we're gonna want our fellow mammal elephants on our side. And the hippos.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

BigBadSteve posted:

my parents perpetually have a bunch of wild turkeys in their backyard and i would definitely be scared of them if they were the same size as me, let alone the size of a t-rex. they are assholes.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

FlocksOfMice posted:

https://alphynix.tumblr.com/tagged/retro%20vs%20modern%202022

As an acutal non-joke answer this tumblr has a bunch of explanations of how our understanding of individual dinosaurs evolved over time!

Some pretty fun stuff!

What the gently caress

quote:

Still, Quetzalcoatlus was very big, and when standing on all fours it was probably similar in size and shape to a modern giraffe, about 6m tall (~20’) with at least half of its height just being its neck. It had limb proportions more like an ungulate mammal than most other pterosaurs, suggesting it was highly adapted for walking and running around on the ground – but it could also catapult itself up into the air using its powerful forelimbs to take flight.

Holy poo poo, a 6m tall flying giraffe that hunts prey like storks. That's loving terrifying, jesus christ.

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008
This is probably a dumb question but why did the big tyrannosaurus have vestigial arms? What evolutionary advantage is it to be unable to claw or balance or climb? Could they right themselves if toppled?

I’m seriously asking because i just saw the “Sue in the flesh” one and it makes zero sense, like evolution producing a single bird with one wing or something

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Hyzenth1ay posted:

This is probably a dumb question but why did the big tyrannosaurus have vestigial arms? What evolutionary advantage is it to be unable to claw or balance or climb? Could they right themselves if toppled?

I’m seriously asking because i just saw the “Sue in the flesh” one and it makes zero sense, like evolution producing a single bird with one wing or something

Real answer: T rex needed to keep its center of gravity right above its legs to be properly balanced and not faceplant with every step. Its tail counterbalanced the front half, and it sacrificed arm mass to make greater allowance for a bigger and heavier skull for biting stuff.

Joke answer: So it could become King of the dinosaurs through the power of NoFap

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Elukka posted:

You want Yutyrannus. Earlier tyrannosauroid but pretty big and the right shape.

Aww he’s so fwuffy :3:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Look at this dinos huge balls

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Tree Bucket posted:

Yeah, it's called the "shrink-wrapped dinosaur movement." Worth a google. A lot of dinosaur artists had a bad habit of forgetting that most animals aren't the same shape as their skeleton. Which I guess was in turn a reaction to the old-school "ponderous swamp lizard" style of dinosaur illustration.
Anywho, I posted this in one of the previous GBS dinosaur threads. Dimetrodons aren't dinosaurs, but still: what kind of colour schemes might our PREHISTORIC PALS had?

yeah this

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hyzenth1ay posted:

The tiny hands are useful when eating?

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
The arms were so they could dial a payphone.

https://youtu.be/dJ4APq_80ow?si=E7Aus9XQXHoWeUhk

Nov 6, 2002

What if dogs are actually dinosaurs? Has anyone looked into this??

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Hyzenth1ay posted:

trex did not have vestigal arms, they were still functional, just very reduced

carnotaurus and its close relatives did have entirely vestigal arms though

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

What if dogs are actually dinosaurs? Has anyone looked into this??

Dogs are mammals, like us, and unlike dinosaurs or birds.

Nov 6, 2002

redshirt posted:

Dogs are mammals, like us, and unlike dinosaurs or birds.

But how do we know? Have you ever seen a dog give birth personally?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

carnotaurus and its close relatives did have entirely vestigal arms though

:lol:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

But how do we know? Have you ever seen a dog give birth personally?

No. But I trust these nurse ladies I've surrounded myself with.

Nov 6, 2002

redshirt posted:

No. But I trust these nurse ladies I've surrounded myself with.

That's what Big Vet wants you to think. I've got some literature about the dog-dino connection that will blow your mind. There's a reason "Rex" is such a popular dog name.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
All legs ain't got no time for arms, permanently Naruto running & loving it

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

buglord posted:

I went to a natural history museum recently and something that came to mind is if things like the T-Rex still looked like that or if they all had feathers and stuff now. Was it just tetrapods or did things like stegosaurus or triceratops also have feathers or what?

I remember some fan art of hippos and ostriches demonstrating what would happen if we gave extant animals the same treatment we give dinosaurs by making them look all scaly and scary. Also if you don’t have answers maybe we can talk about dinosaurs in general and maybe cool facts about them.

Best wishes,

Buglord.

Chickens. They have the similar physiology as the T-Rex.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

That's what Big Vet wants you to think. I've got some literature about the dog-dino connection that will blow your mind. There's a reason "Rex" is such a popular dog name.

"Dino"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Has anyone ever been attacked by geese? Birds are definitely frightening. A t rex sized goose with a mouthful of razor sharp teeth is terrifying to contemplate

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Has anyone ever been attacked by geese? Birds are definitely frightening. A t rex sized goose with a mouthful of razor sharp teeth is terrifying to contemplate

I've walked boldly and proudly among hundreds of geese, my head held high. And they parted like the Red Sea, recognizing my superior body language.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

redshirt posted:

I've walked boldly and proudly among hundreds of geese, my head held high. And they parted like the Red Sea, recognizing my superior body language.

Try it while carrying food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

BigBadSteve posted:

Try it while carrying food.

Like a 5 dollar foot long?