Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

redshirt posted:

Like a 5 dollar foot long?

Speaking of extinct dinosaurs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

redshirt posted:

Sounds good, please report back (if you survive).

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

naruto run dinosaur?!?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

BigBadSteve posted:

Sounds good, please report back (if you survive).

I fear I have awoken.... GODZILLA

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

apparently they all look(ed) like this:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Buce posted:

apparently they all look(ed) like this:

dinosaurs got real tiny

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

redshirt posted:

Does anyone else get weirded out when they see birds eating chicken?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A cool thing about the cretaceous is that even towards the end of the period you had these bizarre divergences. With North and South America split by shallow seas the species up north got really weird and developed into what we typically assume cretaceous animals to look like. Meanwhile the South American dinosaurs look a lot like the earlier Jurassic period animals except that they've gotten absolutely gigantic.

Behavioral depictions aside as it's speculation you should really check out Prehistoric Planet for some absolutely gorgeous looking takes in contemporary dinosaur appearances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWGnlAQsRaE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COuvZn2O1kU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

A cool thing about the cretaceous is that even towards the end of the period you had these bizarre divergences. With North and South America split by shallow seas the species up north got really weird and developed into what we typically assume cretaceous animals to look like. Meanwhile the South American dinosaurs look a lot like the earlier Jurassic period animals except that they've gotten absolutely gigantic.

Behavioral depictions aside as it's speculation you should really check out Prehistoric Planet for some absolutely gorgeous looking takes in contemporary dinosaur appearances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWGnlAQsRaE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COuvZn2O1kU

Is this when the Giant Sloths ruled the Amazon?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Dinosaurs looked exactly the way they do now, they were skeletons. I don't understand why people insist on depicting them as having flesh.

Ez8
Aug 5, 2004
I like to think they had kissy lips so you could give them a smooch.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Birds are dinosaurs, OP.

I know it's been alluded to several times ITT but nobody's come out and said it yet.

I also understand this isn't what you meant, but in a way, it does answer the question you wanted answers to. Yes, dinosaurs from a certain time period (ours) are covered with feathers and the colors are pretty.

https://www.birdlife.org/news/2021/12/21/its-official-birds-are-literally-dinosaurs-heres-how-we-know/

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Human skeletons = spooky
Dinosaur skeletons = not spooky

Can we get a scientist to explain?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

satanic splash-back posted:

Human skeletons = spooky

One is of cool loving lizards, the other is a reminder of our own mortality.
I'm a spookologist.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Here's a cool dinosaur fact. Due to the rotational speed of the milky way, dinosaurs actually lived on the opposite side of the galaxy.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

satanic splash-back posted:

Human skeletons = spooky

Depends on the dino skeleton. Big giant dino skeleton = not spooky.

Person sized dino skeleton, perhaps even some kind of dino man = spooky

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Salt Fish posted:

Here's a cool dinosaur fact. Due to the rotational speed of the milky way, dinosaurs actually lived on the opposite side of the galaxy.

Here's a cooler dinosaur fact: they still do :tinfoil:

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Asterite34 posted:

Here's a cooler dinosaur fact: they still do :tinfoil:

They actually live at the center of the Earth. I've seen a documentary about it.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Dinosaurs lived 200 million years ago, but they were also around for 200 million years, so technically they also were on this side of the milky way, but I didn't want to over complicate the point.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

Dinosaurs lived 200 million years ago, but they were also around for 200 million years, so technically they also were on this side of the milky way, but I didn't want to over complicate the point.

What we define as "dinosaurs" lasts a long time and is not consistent with the timeline.

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Dinosaurs built cities and technology and had rich cultural tapestries but geology is a jerk and consumed all evidence of it and there's nothing scientists can do to prove me wrong

naem
May 29, 2011

cruft posted:

Birds are dinosaurs, OP.

I know it's been alluded to several times ITT but nobody's come out and said it yet.

I also understand this isn't what you meant, but in a way, it does answer the question you wanted answers to. Yes, dinosaurs from a certain time period (ours) are covered with feathers and the colors are pretty.

https://www.birdlife.org/news/2021/12/21/its-official-birds-are-literally-dinosaurs-heres-how-we-know/

https://i.imgur.com/TUyMz9E.mp4

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Salt Fish posted:

I believe you will find it was 65 million years in the making

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Trash Saurs

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Modern Quetzalcoatlus is sick as gently caress, to the point where I officially have to change my favorite dinosaur

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Paleontologists are all frauds and just make poo poo up from fever dreams they have after too many hours in some university basement, looking at bones without proper light or ventilation.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

buglord posted:

I went to a natural history museum recently and something that came to mind is if things like the T-Rex still looked like that or if they all had feathers and stuff now. Was it just tetrapods or did things like stegosaurus or triceratops also have feathers or what?

I remember some fan art of hippos and ostriches demonstrating what would happen if we gave extant animals the same treatment we give dinosaurs by making them look all scaly and scary. Also if you don’t have answers maybe we can talk about dinosaurs in general and maybe cool facts about them.

Best wishes,

Buglord.

What do you think the word tetrapod means, OP? All dinosaurs are tetrapods.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
There's a really good show on Amazon called Primal and that's about as accurate a depiction of dinosaurs as you're likely to get. I encourage scientifically inclined goons to check it out.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Anne Whateley posted:

Modern Quetzalcoatlus is sick as gently caress, to the point where I officially have to change my favorite dinosaur

That's a pterosaur not a dinosaur you hack.

One is a terrible lizard and the other is a pterror lizard

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
The t is silent fyi

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Devils Affricate posted:

What do you think the word tetrapod means, OP? All dinosaurs are tetrapods.

I'm not trying to speak for the person but maybe they meant trilobite??

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Anne Whateley posted:

I just... I can't picture quetzalcoatlas flying. It's only marginally more difficult than picturing a flying giraffe. Nothing on earth today has wings that are used for flying and running; they're such radically different forms of movement with such different stresses.
Maybe the oxygen levels in the atmosphere were higher back then, and there was simply more fuel to be had? I don't know.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Lots of existing examples if you think about it. Penguins waddle around and fly under water. Chooks run about and fly. Magpies too.

Bond had a flying car and that did pretty good.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
A giraffe weighs around 1000 kg. A Quetzalcoatlus is much more lightly built, at an estimated 200 - 250 kg.

I'm not sure anyone expects they'd have ran as such. Drastically different scale, but walking on wings isn't unheard of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziDElEh5hi4

From what I've skimmed sources I don't think any contrivances about atmospheric oxygen or whatnot are needed to make the math work on them flying. I know there have been some suggestions that they'd have been flightless, but I don't think that's the mainstream view, and for a terrestrial animal it just looks incredibly fragile and ungainly. Competent at moving on land, perhaps taking prey on land, sure, but this very lightweight and incredibly specialized form for a purely terrestrial animal?

Elukka fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Dec 23, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

What if we are the dinosaurs??

Less Is Definitely
Jan 10, 2012

redshirt posted:

What if we are the dinosaurs??

We still post on Something Awful, so :shrug:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Less Is Definitely posted:

We still post on Something Awful, so :shrug:

*roars

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Am I supposed to have feathers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm not trying to speak for the person but maybe they meant trilobite??

That... would make even less sense, seeing as how trilobites don't have feathers and are not T-rexes