Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm not trying to speak for the person but maybe they meant trilobite??

Dr. Breen: Would we model ourselves on the trilobite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

:v:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Elukka posted:

From what I've skimmed sources I don't think any contrivances about atmospheric oxygen or whatnot are needed to make the math work on them flying. I know there have been some suggestions that they'd have been flightless, but I don't think that's the mainstream view, and for a terrestrial animal it just looks incredibly fragile and ungainly. Competent at moving on land, perhaps taking prey on land, sure, but this very lightweight and incredibly specialized form for a purely terrestrial animal?

Yeah, if they were purely terrestrial they probably wouldn't have kept that long 4th finger that doesn't do anything but support a wing. Maybe a flightless wing would have still been used in mating displays or something, but there's lots of giant Quetzalcoatlus-like species known and all seem to maintain roughly the same wing proportion, suggesting it was probably still functional or else it probably would have shrunk in at least some of those species.

Anyway on the topic of flying check out this time some idiot thought Stegosaurus could glide.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/the-fantastic-gliding-stegosaurus-107838636/

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

dinosaurs got real tiny

They're actually 2-3 meters tall.

Also paleontologists recently discovered that their diet consisted solely of people who called them small.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Stegosaurus used their plates as charcuterie boards. Massively popular at wine tastings.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Knormal posted:

... on the topic of flying check out this time some idiot thought Stegosaurus could glide.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/the-fantastic-gliding-stegosaurus-107838636/

Readable original article:
https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn85058393/1920-08-15/ed-1/seq-32

naem
May 29, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/boyPL5k.mp4

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Tree Bucket posted:

Nothing on earth today has wings that are used for flying and running; they're such radically different forms of movement with such different stresses.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Lol @ the bat-giraffe body plan being most feasible

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
If only the winged giraffes hadn't been so tasty we could of still seen them majestically flying over the Africans plains to this day.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
It also seems like bat-giraffe would be excellent at climbing, which probably happened a lot in an age where 200 foot trees were common. Also I have my own :350: theory that were were a lot more cliffs, because no ice age to flatten terrain, only Grand Canyon-esque water erosion everywhere. Maybe bat-giraffe didnt run things down to hunt, but it had to sprint off cliffs to fly :shrug:

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?

redshirt posted:

What if we are the dinosaurs??

We are more closely rated to Dimetrodon than any of the dinosaurs, including the seagull.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

it does seem pretty funny that earlier paleos didn't draw a connection between some of the bones they were finding and modern birds. just assumed everything was a large, modern, armor-plated lizard of some variety.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Probably have purple hair and piercings now. Buncha posers.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Tree Bucket posted:

I just... I can't picture quetzalcoatlas flying. It's only marginally more difficult than picturing a flying giraffe. Nothing on earth today has wings that are used for flying and running; they're such radically different forms of movement with such different stresses.
Maybe the oxygen levels in the atmosphere were higher back then, and there was simply more fuel to be had? I don't know.

I know your last comment is kind of a throwaway but yes, higher oxygen levels are exactly why we had 4 foot long dragonflies millions of years ago.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 25, 2023

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/qERdL8uHSgI?si=Vf3nh5nZvxS5XZcS

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Buce posted:

it does seem pretty funny that earlier paleos didn't draw a connection between some of the bones they were finding and modern birds. just assumed everything was a large, modern, armor-plated lizard of some variety.
So here's the weird thing: They did! The idea that dinosaurs and birds are closely related in some way is as old as evolution. Then for some reason it was forgotten for a century. The clear relation between Archaeopteryx, of which a preserved flight feather was found in 1861, and other dinosaurs, was used as an argument in support of this wild new book called On the Origin of Species.

Wikipedia posted:

Biologist Thomas Henry Huxley, known as "Darwin's Bulldog" for his tenacious support of the new theory of evolution by means of natural selection, almost immediately seized upon Archaeopteryx as a transitional fossil between birds and reptiles. Starting in 1868, and following earlier suggestions by Carl Gegenbaur,[6] and Edward Drinker Cope,[7] Huxley made detailed comparisons of Archaeopteryx with various prehistoric reptiles and found that it was most similar to dinosaurs like Hypsilophodon and Compsognathus.[8][9] The discovery in the late 1870s of the iconic "Berlin specimen" of Archaeopteryx, complete with a set of reptilian teeth, provided further evidence. Like Cope, Huxley proposed an evolutionary relationship between birds and dinosaurs. Although Huxley was opposed by the very influential Owen, his conclusions were accepted by many biologists, including Baron Franz Nopcsa,[10] while others, notably Harry Seeley,[11] argued that the similarities were due to convergent evolution.

Art from 1916:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Yep, some of the most famous Victorian paleontologists were vehemently against the idea that birds could be dinosaurs for some reason and used their influence to successfully bury the idea until it was independently thought of in the 1970's. I think the prevailing line of thought at the time was birds and mammals were both warm-blooded and covered in something, so birds must be more closely related to mammals than reptiles, despite the bones of birds and dinosaurs having so many similarities.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Probably have purple hair and piercings now. Buncha posers.

Dino has gone Woke!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Dinosaur In Name Only

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Knormal posted:

Yep, some of the most famous Victorian paleontologists were vehemently against the idea that birds could be dinosaurs for some reason and used their influence to successfully bury the idea until it was independently thought of in the 1970's. I think the prevailing line of thought at the time was birds and mammals were both warm-blooded and covered in something, so birds must be more closely related to mammals than reptiles, despite the bones of birds and dinosaurs having so many similarities.

It's purely an arbitrary labelling decision based on where you place a marker, same as why pterodactyls aren't dinosaurs

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

What does "He's my friend and a whole lot more" mean, exactly?

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

It means it's not all about you

Don't be horny for Denver

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

You don't have to jack off to everything

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I thought it meant that he was a complicated saurian; like, he has family and friends and hobbies across several species, and a wide range of lived experience on which to draw. This dinosaur contains multitudes, you dig me?

I dunno what you meant by it, though :catstare:

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Elukka posted:

So here's the weird thing: They did! The idea that dinosaurs and birds are closely related in some way is as old as evolution. Then for some reason it was forgotten for a century. The clear relation between Archaeopteryx, of which a preserved flight feather was found in 1861, and other dinosaurs, was used as an argument in support of this wild new book called On the Origin of Species.

Art from 1916:

well that's pretty interesting

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

MrQwerty posted:

You don't have to jack off to everything

:wrong:

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

naem
May 29, 2011

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Outrail posted:

Dinosaur In Name Only

I enjoyed this, thank you.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

redshirt posted:

Dino has gone Woke!

Gotta love it when literal dinosaurs aren't conservative enough for modern chuds.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Asterite34 posted:

Gotta love it when literal dinosaurs aren't conservative enough for modern chuds.

Dino from the Flintstones?

He was already woke and purple dude. Even in Season 1.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Well theres a solution in desperate search of a problem.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Lmao a sub the size of a hotdog

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Take my money!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Edward Drinker Cope

Adbot