Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

buglord posted:

I went to a natural history museum recently and something that came to mind is if things like the T-Rex still looked like that or if they all had feathers and stuff now. Was it just tetrapods or did things like stegosaurus or triceratops also have feathers or what?

I remember some fan art of hippos and ostriches demonstrating what would happen if we gave extant animals the same treatment we give dinosaurs by making them look all scaly and scary. Also if you don’t have answers maybe we can talk about dinosaurs in general and maybe cool facts about them.

Best wishes,

Buglord.

serious reply:

to the best of our knowledge, stegosaurus and its close relatives did not have feathers. we have no evidence for triceratops or its more well known relatives like styracosaurus or protoceratops having feathers, but there is at least one ceratopsian, psittacosaurus, that did have what appears to be structures most likely derived from feathers. other ornithiscians show more concrete evidence of feathers but they are far less common than in theropods.

i'm partial to the idea that feathers are, if not basal to all archosaurs, then to at least ornithodira (dinosaurs and pterasaurs), but there is not any direct evidence suggesting this yet, just some possible clues such as feathers possibly being present in both pterasaurs (in the form of pycnofibers) and dinosaurs (specifically theropods and ornithiscians; i don't think any sauropods have ever been found with evidence for feathers or structures homologous to them).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Tree Bucket posted:

While the serious replies are happening, where are we up to with quetzalcoatlas? Could it actually fly? What would it have eaten? How is it real???

quetz almost certainly did fly, i think the main debate now is whether it was a relatively powerful soaring flier or it could only fly in short bursts for short distances like a turkey. i don't know enough about biomechanics of flight to add anything worthwhile so i just choose to believe they spent a lot of time airborne 'cause it's way cooler.

likewise, ideas about its eating habits are all over the place. it probably was not piscivorous like a lot of pterasaus were given its habitat, but beyond that, we won't know until and unless we find one with fossilized food in its gut (which is entirely possible, so here's to hoping).

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

buglord posted:

Sue came to our regional museum when I was a child. I dont remember what she looked like, but I remember having my little 7-8 year old mind blown. Shame the museum closed down.

The last class I had taken at my local community college was a geology course with a focus on dinosaurs. That absolutely blew my mind the same way. We talked about all the clades like marginocephalia, thyreophora, etc. I held onto my textbooks because even after acing the class I still wanted the books, but I threw my old notes away for some reason, which is a shame because I remember putting in big bold ink the facts that really stood out to me. Seeing the natural history museum in los angeles last week filled me with a ton of nostalgia, partially because we also went there for an adult field trip as part of that class too.

thanks for the serious answers as well as the fart joke answers, thats what i come to GBS for. anyone have dinosaur podcast/channel reccs so i can remember all my dino facts that i lost?

the feather thing does kinda bug me, but what also bothers me are people that hold onto outdated ideas so I relented.

your dinosaurs are wrong is extremely top tier dinosaur youtube

here's a video from them that's pretty pertinent to this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK-3rlwyKxI

they have their own separate yoytube channel now and their recent videos are very, very in-depth. velociraptor and herrerasaurus are my favorite ydaw episodes.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Hyzenth1ay posted:

This is probably a dumb question but why did the big tyrannosaurus have vestigial arms? What evolutionary advantage is it to be unable to claw or balance or climb? Could they right themselves if toppled?

I’m seriously asking because i just saw the “Sue in the flesh” one and it makes zero sense, like evolution producing a single bird with one wing or something

trex did not have vestigal arms, they were still functional, just very reduced

carnotaurus and its close relatives did have entirely vestigal arms though