Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

buglord posted:

I remember some fan art of hippos and ostriches demonstrating what would happen if we gave extant animals the same treatment we give dinosaurs by making them look all scaly and scary.

Yeah, it's called the "shrink-wrapped dinosaur movement." Worth a google. A lot of dinosaur artists had a bad habit of forgetting that most animals aren't the same shape as their skeleton. Which I guess was in turn a reaction to the old-school "ponderous swamp lizard" style of dinosaur illustration.
Anywho, I posted this in one of the previous GBS dinosaur threads. Dimetrodons aren't dinosaurs, but still: what kind of colour schemes might our PREHISTORIC PALS had?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

serious reply:

While the serious replies are happening, where are we up to with quetzalcoatlas? Could it actually fly? What would it have eaten? How is it real???

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

quetz almost certainly did fly, i think the main debate now is whether it was a relatively powerful soaring flier or it could only fly in short bursts for short distances like a turkey. i don't know enough about biomechanics of flight to add anything worthwhile so i just choose to believe they spent a lot of time airborne 'cause it's way cooler.

likewise, ideas about its eating habits are all over the place. it probably was not piscivorous like a lot of pterasaus were given its habitat, but beyond that, we won't know until and unless we find one with fossilized food in its gut (which is entirely possible, so here's to hoping).

Good stuff. I'm trying to imagine what you do with a metres-long beak. Kingfishers and bee-eaters have a similar shape happening, but I can't imagine a quetzalcoatlas nimbly grabbing flying prey on the wing, or snapping fish out of the water without levering its own neck in half.
As you said, we really need to find a fossil with gut contents...

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

the holy poopacy posted:

They subsisted primarily on takeout. Sesame chicken was their preferred prey but fossilized whopper wrapper deposits located nearby demonstrate that they were not above hitting up burger drive thrus when food was scarce.

I can definitely picture a quetzalcoatlas waddling down the drive thru lane and darting all four metres of its beak into the little window. Plucking a screaming guy with a cardboard hat from the store
e: aaaa I have to draw this when I get home

Tree Bucket fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 19, 2023

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

FlocksOfMice posted:

https://alphynix.tumblr.com/tagged/retro%20vs%20modern%202022

As an acutal non-joke answer this tumblr has a bunch of explanations of how our understanding of individual dinosaurs evolved over time!

Some pretty fun stuff!

Oooh, nice.
It's also cool that the 60's dinosaur has natural earthy tones and the 90's dino has a RADICAL colour scheme. (And the dinosaur depiction of our own time, of course, is correct and accurate and above merely contemporary concerns)

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Okay. Been thinking about this feathered bird thing. So I tried to draw velociraptor with the colours of some of the birds that live nearby, to see how it looks

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Anne Whateley posted:

Modern Quetzalcoatlus is sick as gently caress, to the point where I officially have to change my favorite dinosaur

I just... I can't picture quetzalcoatlas flying. It's only marginally more difficult than picturing a flying giraffe. Nothing on earth today has wings that are used for flying and running; they're such radically different forms of movement with such different stresses.
Maybe the oxygen levels in the atmosphere were higher back then, and there was simply more fuel to be had? I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Salt Fish posted:

Edward Drinker Cope

Nah, the head's on the correct end