Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Been to this one. Older than the pyramids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Inishmore and the Aran Islands are pretty cool (went there when they was shooting part of the movie picture). Lots of ruins. Cool half circle structure up a short hike to the cliff edge, with some of the bluest waters you've seen swirling around. Added bonus of a nice touristy cottage near the road at the bottom to get warm in. If you're near Galway it's worth the boat ride out there.

idk I had a good time :shrug:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If you like rocks piled on rocks come to Philadelphia we got the largest structure in the world that was made by piling rocks on rocks. Also lots of Irish people and Irish descended people

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
We got a candy called Irish potatoes that the rest of the USA doesn't have for some stupid reason and it's like bits of coconut and sugar and creme rolled in cinnamon. Also got plenty of ruins

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Quadramind posted:

It's really good, and this horse lives nearby

badass.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcMmadefX60

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

What the ghost level like around Irish ruins, minimal at least?

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021
That led me to Knowth.

Hmm

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Quadramind posted:

It's really good, and this horse lives nearby

extremely powerful

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
góachtse

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!
Does that predate wedding rings :stare:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

redshirt posted:

I've never been to Ireland.

It’s a loving kip, don’t bother!

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

hello old friend

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It’s a loving kip, don’t bother!

Thank you OP

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

SAY YOHO posted:

That led me to Knowth.

Hmm

Adding this to my bucket list.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Beachcomber posted:

shoulda asked the nanoonaki for a pyramid

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Secks Cauldron posted:

Does that predate wedding rings :stare:

No excuse. :colbert:

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

SAY YOHO posted:

That led me to Knowth.

Hmm

Life imitates art :shrug:

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

The wife and I went to Ireland in 2017 during the winter. We visited Newgrange on New Year's Day, 2018. By some amazing stroke of luck, we were the only two people on the bus going out from the visitor center (there were full buses coming back when we went out, and going out when we came back).

We had a wonderful, personal tour of Newgrange by a wonderful guide named Sinead, where we basically just walked around, and had a conversation with her. Pretty much one of the best memories of that trip.

(Note: this will not happen to you, and you will spend your visit crammed into a dirt pile with a dozen strangers. Then you will go back to the visitor center and have some pretty decent quiche. There's a lot of pretty decent quiche in Ireland.)

Edit: On the ruins front, go visit Ballycarbery Castle, then go have some really excellent wings at Camo's in nearby Cahersiveen!

null_pointer fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 20, 2023

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Better than having the runs in Ireland

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i havent been to ruins in ireland but i've been to ruins in wales, which are pretty similar

beaumaris castle

a burial cairn in anglesey that i think was called "bowdyr" or something similar. had to get chased around by a bull in someone's field to see this one

these ruins are very ruined. this was supposedly once an iron age fort, also in anglesey. now its just a lump of grass.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Most of Cork City is ruins due to landlords being landlords :argh:

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

ancient people sure did build a shitload of ruins. seems pretty dumb to me.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Buce posted:

ancient people sure did build a shitload of ruins. seems pretty dumb to me.

Buncha dumbasses

naem
May 29, 2011

Earwicker posted:

i havent been to ruins in ireland but i've been to ruins in wales, which are pretty similar

I’ve been to Scotland aka Ireland 2.0

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)

Beachcomber posted:

I saw this. It’s cool/good. I like thinking about the dead people likely buried inside, and the folks who built it - not in a spooky way, just like… rememberin you bros, glad you existed once. Probably the best anyone can hope for.

Later in Ireland, we saw the little lake one of my semi-distant ancestors walked into with big stones in her pocket because her family was too annoying. Also drank a nice pint at the pub where her husband likely got himself good and annoying.

Ireland - a land of history. Mostly sad. But there are a lot of ruins, of various sort.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

They included the sack

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

I bought a bottle of Irish whiskey so Ireland can ruin me.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

no henge

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

A Tasteful Nude posted:

Later in Ireland, we saw the little lake one of my semi-distant ancestors walked into with big stones in her pocket because her family was too annoying.

I for one would love to know more about this.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Good stuff so far

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

The blarney stone is garbage and needs an upgrade. How about: the blarney hole

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

A Tasteful Nude posted:

Later in Ireland, we saw the little lake one of my semi-distant ancestors walked into with big stones in her pocket because her family was too annoying.

Your ancestor was based. As the kids say.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

naem posted:

you wonder why we yearn for something more than this photo right here

You got a gas station, an expressway, a Dunkin Donuts, a Taco Bell, and 3! Covered Bridges. That sounds like breakfast, lunch, and a pleasant day trip all wrapped into one.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

AND you get to drive on the lovely Pennsylvania Turnpike for a nominal fee

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

nice obelisk idiot posted:

AND you get to drive on the lovely Pennsylvania Turnpike for a nominal fee

Driving from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia now costs in excess of $30

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

Beachcomber posted:

Driving from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia now costs in excess of $30
It's a treat for sure

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Earwicker posted:

was supposedly once an iron age fort, also in anglesey. now its just a lump of grass.

We were told as kids that similar mound like humps on a top hill were some kind of ancient fort on a family farm that we had for generations here in Ireland.
It was even called the Fairy Field due to it. My uncle was also told when he was a kid, and when he inherited the farm he rented a metal detector to see if there was anything valuable.
All he found was rusted broken beds, and bed springs.
Turned out the farm had a fire back before when my uncle was born, and they dumped all the burnt poo poo in a heap there, and it grew over.
Still called the Fairy Field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

naem posted:

you wonder why we yearn for something more than this photo right here

drat I wish I had a Perkins around here.