Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022
I've been talking to a lot of people in my life about this recently and am looking for a broader understanding of what people have personally experienced. It's ok I guess if you want to post second hand stories too but I'm really interested from hearing from anyone who has had an unexplainable experience first hand, particularly if they are skeptics like I am. Or was.

My sister passed about seven weeks ago. She was 33 and died of advanced liver and kidney failure. Myself, and my mother and father were in the room with her when she went.

She died with a blood pressure of 14/10. Anything with a systolic under 30 is basically death imminent. She hung on for hours like that, after days of watching her BP drop to that point slowly after she was taken off of BP medication. She wanted to hang on. But after we left the hospital I had no impression that she had done anything other than die.

Speaking to my mom at dinner a couple weeks after, she casually mentioned that while she had been cleaning out my sister's apartment, she heard a 'ding' from an electronic doorbell that was sitting in a box but had never been installed. After a second, different type of 'ding ding' went, seemingly in response to things she was thinking, she began to speak out loud. Feeling, in a way, like Caroline's presence was there, she started to speak out loud - "Caroline is that you?" The doorbell rang right away - dingdingdingding. As she cleaned she talked to Caroline more and the doorbell responded further. At one point she described to me that it would be lilting and light, as if laughing. When my mom described a situation that would have made Caroline happy, she says the doorbell started to play 'happy circus or fair type music'.

I didn't judge her, I didn't disbelieve her, but it was hard for me to understand. I have never really believed in this stuff. How could it be real, wouldn't there be some kind of hard evidence at some point? But it did kind of match with something I'd felt myself.

I had been at a low point, at home, and I felt her there with me. I heard words appear in my head that did not seem like they came from me. I didn't hear them, though, I guess, just understood them, and if you've lived your whole life with only your thoughts when you get one that isn't yours, it does stand out. Full disclosure, at this time I was on ketamine, but I've been doing wayyyy too much of that poo poo of late, and I know what it does to you and the experience that can be expected. This was different, and it only happened once, and never again. I did at the time attribute it to the drugs but after my mom's story I was beginning to question that, just a bit.

And what do you do? When you think maybe your dead sister is somehow, in some way, still here, mostly protecting and trying to help my mom, but occasionally checking in on me and telling me to get my poo poo together?

You just go about your life. Nothing changes. What can you do? What might be a paradigm shift in your entire reality, it's just an event. Just the same as getting a haircut, or having your sister die, or learning a new song. Just events and life goes on. I worried mostly about my mom. I didn't want her to be going crazy.

A couple weeks later I was talking to my mom on the phone while driving home from work in my car. She was again cleaning my sister's apartment. All of a sudden, as I finished speaking a sentence, I heard it as if in response - "ding"

I asked my mom - was that the bell?

'Yes - she checks in with me sometimes'

I hadn't asked about it since the initial time my mom told me and she hadn't mentioned it to me again. I guess I was afraid, of what it meant, either for my mom's mental state or for what reality actually is.

And again. What can you do? We just moved on with the conversation.

Again, I finished a sentence, and it was one Caroline would have agreed with emphatically, and "ding-ding! ding-ding!"

It happened one more time. Always right at the end of a sentence, always somehow conveying meaning and understanding and feeling like a response. Never random, never interrupting. It seemed like she was happy me and my mom were communicating more - our relationship had never been great. Caroline and her were the pair.

Again we just went on like this was normal and we hung up the phone.

This weekend, I was not doing well. I've been spiraling a bit. Spent a lot of friday and saturday on a drug binge.

Sunday morning I was sober, and doing dishes. All of a sudden a glass that was left upside down to dry on the counter was knocked onto the floor. I was nowhere near it. It tumbled and broke like it had been slapped.

I asked out loud "Caroline is that you"

Immediately I felt this feeling, like a cold chill but hot - like there was fire made of ice going through me or water made of electricity filling my body.

I understood an idea in my head that wasn't mine "Yeah"

"Shouldn't you be helping mom?"

"Yes you idiot, I'd rather be there, but I'm here with you right now. Get your poo poo together. Mom needs you"

and like that the feeling disappeared and I didn't hear anything more.

Again, life goes on from there. Like that poo poo is just normal and I need to accept what it now means.

Speaking to people it seems like this is more common than I thought and it always seems to be immediately following the death of loved ones. Maybe these spirits don't stick around forever but it seems like maybe they're there for a bit, to help the people they love move on.

Anyways. Kinda hosed up. Let me know if any of you gave experienced similar. Love you all.

Costco Meatballs fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

My spirit would leave my body if you'd expect me to read all that

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
ghosts and spooks aren't real, what are you a baby? a tiny scared little baby haha?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

There's no spirits, there's no ghosts. Everything dies and that's it. You don't get an invisible spirit flying around that downloads your braincells.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Santa left presents at my house when I was child.

He even ate the cookies and most of the milk!

Spandex Bonerlord
Sep 30, 2014

I'm sorry for your loss, OP.

That said, I received a blowjob from a ghost once.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Too many words to read so here's my story.

I used to see and hear hosed up poo poo all the time as a kid all the way through my mid teens.
After I stopped going to church and being around my family it all magically went away for the most part. I'll still sporadically see or hear something, but it's mostly random sounds. Basically a non issue these days.
My mom always said the first born (me) in the family always had issues like that due to some curse from 5 generations ago from someone being a stone mason or whatever dumb poo poo, and that demons are real and all that.

Conclusion I've come to? Church hosed up my brain and maybe my family was dosing me with drugs to make me think it was all real.

I'm sure the formative years didn't help, when I was young we lived in a "haunted house" and hosed up poo poo was always happening, but my parents would yell at the "demons" about jesus and stuff and it would stop, I'm 99% sure they just hosed with me to make me a true believer and it broke me for years.

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

There's no spirits, there's no ghosts. Everything dies and that's it. You don't get an invisible spirit flying around that downloads your braincells.

That's what I thought until 5 weeks ago.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
When I was a kid I thought I had a limited super power to see through solid objects but I didn't understand the whole "difference in position of two eyes" thing

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Konar posted:

When I was a kid I thought I had a limited super power to see through solid objects but I didn't understand the whole "difference in position of two eyes" thing

Like, one eye was angled behind the object, the other focused on it? If so that's pretty cute tbh.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
In general I choose not to believe in ghosts because I don't like the idea of them watching me whack off

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

Jelly posted:

In general I choose not to believe in ghosts because I don't like the idea of them watching me whack off

I actually kinda think that's some of why why she has been mostly hanging out with my mom. Who wants to see that poo poo?

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Interesting post OP, I was prepared to mock you but nah. Though I would find it easier to believe that the dinging thing was caused by your mom having some kind of latent paranormal powers that could subconsciously activate the dingy-thing than an actual dead person having agency in the world.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I think your mom is just pushing the doorbell herself op

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I think your mom is just pushing the doorbell herself op

I've considered that. It would be quite the feat for a grieving mother to do that all while carrying on a totally unrelated conversation. Certainly possible. Maybe even more possible than a spirit.

In a way though it would be far more hosed up than if it's actually happening.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
It was the drugs. Also you're doing ketamine wrong if you aren't wearing earplugs and a blindfold.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Costco Meatballs posted:

I've considered that. It would be quite the feat for a grieving mother to do that all while carrying on a totally unrelated conversation. Certainly possible. Maybe even more possible than a spirit.

In a way though it would be far more hosed up than if it's actually happening.

Grief can cause people to do some wild things. Maybe meet with your mom at your sister’s apartment and see what happens.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

They aren't real, op

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Spandex Bonerlord posted:

That said, I received a blowjob from a ghost once.

I want to believe

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Grey Cat posted:

Like, one eye was angled behind the object, the other focused on it? If so that's pretty cute tbh.

Yeah haha, you described it a bit better but yeah that thing where you can see "through" your finger if you hold it close up to your face

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I'm a ghost.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I haven't read the op but I'm going to post here to say no anyway.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Yes, I can handle first encounters, and manage them into one of the workstreams.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I lived in a house where everybody who came over heard someone calling their name. Also a house where the door SLAMMED THE gently caress SHUT on me while I was looking at it with zero discernible cause.

And then a few shared experiences! One in which I listened to a ball rolling back and forth in the ceiling for long enough that I felt confident it would still be going if I woke up my sister sleeping next to me. I did, she heard it, we listened and discussed for a minute, and then it stopped directly overhead, beat down the wall behind us, and the back of the bed lifted up. I know it sounds loving stupid and I'd happily believe I dreamt it if I didn't have a witness and it scared us into getting out of the drat room.

I'm not saying ghosts, but I feel very comfortable saying there is not a good explanation for some things I've experienced. I've heard the term "preternatural" for something that science simply can't explain yet, and I accept that.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i think brains are pretty weird

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'll go down into that creepy basement. Or cave. Or what have you, follow me.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
I’ve seen and heard a lot of really weird stuff like singing and laughing children out in the middle of the ocean. None of them were ghosts or magic. Universities had magic departments for like 100 years are were all defunded in the 80s after 100 years or nothing. (The beginning of ghostbusters)

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I don't go into creepy basements or caves but that's because I'm claustrophobic and not because of ghosts.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

My grandmother appeared before me in flames, she was wearing a smart red suit, made of flames, as she smiled at me....

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

redshirt posted:

I'll go down into that creepy basement. Or cave. Or what have you, follow me.

Right behind you

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Ghosts aren't real, once you move onto the next plane of existence they won't let you go back due to bureaucratic reasons. The afterlife is one big bureaucracy.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Right behind you

Let's do this!!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Ghosts aren't real, once you move onto the next plane of existence they won't let you go back due to bureaucratic reasons. The afterlife is one big bureaucracy.

Yup this was clearly explained in the documentary Beetlejuice (1988)

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence
Goddamnit. I wrote all this as a PM, only to find out the OP can't get PMs. gently caress it. Here goes:

First off, I am terribly sorry for your loss.

I have a story that you may find comforting, but it's quite personal and I don't want to put it out there for other goons to poo poo on. You seem ok (I have listened to some of your music), so I will share it with you.

My grandfather passed away 22 years ago after suffering from dementia for a few years and my grandma passed away about 6 years later. They were extremely important people in my life. In fact, my 2 favorite after my wife and kids. I have been doing therapy for the past year and one issue was me struggling with this terrible guilt, because I never visited my grandfather when he was in the nursing home, which was the last year of his life. I just couldn't handle the dementia and how it changed him. I should have, at least for my grandma's sake. Not proud of it, but it's the truth.

My therapist suggested that I sit alone with an empty chair, and talk to my grandfather. After waiting several days to get my courage up, I did so, and spoke to him and my grandmother. A lot of crying, apologizing and talking ensued. (spoiler: no ghosts talked to me, just me doing all the talking) The last thing I said to them was that I hope they are happy. And if they could, send me a sign that they are. I told them that I think they send me signs every once in a while (there is a particularly friendly hummingbird in my backyard), but could they send me a sign that wasn't so subtle?

That evening, my wife and I went out to dinner with my friend to a chinese restaurant. We were eating dinner and having a good time (I hadn't told my wife about my experience that afternoon) and all of a sudden, I pick out the music that starts playing over the speakers. It's my grandparents' wedding song: Sentimental Journey. This is not a particularly well known song, but I knew it was their song. My wife saw I was feeling something and asked if the song was upsetting me. I sat and told them the whole story, tears streaming the whole time.

Now, I don't believe in ghosts, and I don't believe in the Judeo-Christian God. But, I do believe that we are limited in our senses and brains in what we can perceive. I do think there's something greater than this, but I have no idea what that could be. But, I know my grandparents are happy...and that's good enough for me.

Again, I'm very sorry for your loss. I hope that you find some solace in my story. And I hope you and your family enjoy the holidays.

JL

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

JeffLeonard posted:

Goddamnit. I wrote all this as a PM, only to find out the OP can't get PMs. gently caress it. Here goes:

First off, I am terribly sorry for your loss.

I have a story that you may find comforting, but it's quite personal and I don't want to put it out there for other goons to poo poo on. You seem ok (I have listened to some of your music), so I will share it with you.

My grandfather passed away 22 years ago after suffering from dementia for a few years and my grandma passed away about 6 years later. They were extremely important people in my life. In fact, my 2 favorite after my wife and kids. I have been doing therapy for the past year and one issue was me struggling with this terrible guilt, because I never visited my grandfather when he was in the nursing home, which was the last year of his life. I just couldn't handle the dementia and how it changed him. I should have, at least for my grandma's sake. Not proud of it, but it's the truth.

My therapist suggested that I sit alone with an empty chair, and talk to my grandfather. After waiting several days to get my courage up, I did so, and spoke to him and my grandmother. A lot of crying, apologizing and talking ensued. (spoiler: no ghosts talked to me, just me doing all the talking) The last thing I said to them was that I hope they are happy. And if they could, send me a sign that they are. I told them that I think they send me signs every once in a while (there is a particularly friendly hummingbird in my backyard), but could they send me a sign that wasn't so subtle?

That evening, my wife and I went out to dinner with my friend to a chinese restaurant. We were eating dinner and having a good time (I hadn't told my wife about my experience that afternoon) and all of a sudden, I pick out the music that starts playing over the speakers. It's my grandparents' wedding song: Sentimental Journey. This is not a particularly well known song, but I knew it was their song. My wife saw I was feeling something and asked if the song was upsetting me. I sat and told them the whole story, tears streaming the whole time.

Now, I don't believe in ghosts, and I don't believe in the Judeo-Christian God. But, I do believe that we are limited in our senses and brains in what we can perceive. I do think there's something greater than this, but I have no idea what that could be. But, I know my grandparents are happy...and that's good enough for me.

Again, I'm very sorry for your loss. I hope that you find some solace in my story. And I hope you and your family enjoy the holidays.

JL

Congrats on the wife!

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
My sister dated a demonologist (lol) and did some ghost hunting in the nearby pioneer cemetery. Anywho, they were scared away by howls and dog barking. At the same time driving home I saw a pack of dark/black dogs on my street.. supposedly they followed my sister home :shrug:

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

I believe that your and your mother's experiences are genuine, OP.

Take your sister's spirit's advice: Get your act together. You can't do that unless you give up ketamine completely. There's plenty of help out there for overcoming drug addiction.

I feel that after you do so and can become an effective source of support for your mom, your sister will be at peace.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

redshirt posted:

Congrats on the wife!

We already have a Wife Guy Goon, we are full up. Though I don't think that poster was trying to encroach on his territory.

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence
redacted

JeffLeonard fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

AcidCat posted:

We already have a Wife Guy Goon, we are full up. Though I don't think that poster was trying to encroach on his territory.

You fool!