Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

echinopsis posted:

tell me more

I work with this younger person who is self referred wasian and tell me about the red letter thing and it’s so foreign .. but I am intrigued

typically, you put money in the envelope and you give it to people younger than you. the envelope is red

also, they have to refuse it a few times as you force it into their hands or it's a social mishap and you have to tell their parents that they're rude and ill mannered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

man. i sure am glad i'm a generic american with absolutely no cultural traditions, because they all sound so tedious

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

dioxazine posted:

typically, you put money in the envelope and you give it to people younger than you. the envelope is red

also, they have to refuse it a few times as you force it into their hands or it's a social mishap and you have to tell their parents that they're rude and ill mannered

also everyone, including the recipient, will judge you forever based on the amount you give

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

echinopsis posted:

tell me more

I work with this younger person who is self referred wasian and tell me about the red letter thing and it’s so foreign .. but I am intrigued
my experience of hong kong style red pocket is that young people generally have it flow to them from older people but not the other way around.

it should have at least $5 but ideally $8 (or up to $50)

once you get married you take up the obligation to give it to kids. but in families elders still give it to their adult children and children in-law

also the idea is you should spend it soon and not bank it

it’s a nice tradition that cuts out a lot of the bs around “gift exchange within a budget”

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
also if you collect them all in sleeping dogs it totals $1 million HK bux

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

oh whoops i posted in cjs but i guess the party is over here. very grateful to be alive and very much feeling the christmas spirit this year. merry christmas, yospos. next year may your tickets be succinct and regression tests green

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i’m so loving full

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i got a drink mixing kit so time to whip up some christmas cheer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sebfwBVEVKE

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

back at the airport to head home. was great seeing the family again

Merry Xmas to everyone celebrating :shobon:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i got a drink mixing kit so time to whip up some christmas cheer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sebfwBVEVKE
https://youtu.be/8Lf4qFL9nGU?si=SyUapqDUZHALimS0

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
my wife got me a bunch of red panda art (and a steller's jay painting too)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
:toot:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

oh hey we’ve got one on the eastern shore as well!

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

ran out of eggs this morning so had to get gas station breakfast lol.
little bro came by and seems like he is doing well for himself. ham was incredible as always and we all took the dog for a walk in the rain :)

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i ate too much spicy again for three days in a row. this could be bad

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

dinner at my sister's and then as happens every year my parents (who i've lately come to realise are both insanely dull people) insist we sit in front of the TV for hours and hours watching the blandest poo poo and the exact same "classic" TV clips that have been repeated every christmas for 30+ years

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

in english parlance, when does a classic become vintage or is that interchangeable depending on how rude you wish to be?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i’m dreaming of a grey christmas

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

watched A Christmas Story and its sequel tonight as is now tradition

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Video Nasty posted:

watched A Christmas Story and its sequel tonight as is now tradition

sequel?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

there are three: summer story, christmas story 2, and christmas story christmas. the original was run into the ground years ago courtesy of ted turner's media empire and i hear the sequels are kind of terrible.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

yeah Ralphie is all grown with his own kids and a lot of callbacks to the first movie but the dad is dead so it is not as good as the original.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

merry christmas, pos. had a hell of a meal and i am looking forward to sleeping it off

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i woke up still full. hell yeah

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

i had octopus rice and seconds

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Friends, we have ascended the extended weekend mountain and the remainder of the year lays ahead.
https://i.imgur.com/3xlcWxZ.mp4

If you didn't get the chance to do everything you wanted to this weekend, there's only five lousy days until the last shot at greatness this year.

See you then.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
its still the weekend baby awoooo

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

graph posted:

yeah but it's somehow already 4th sunday, there's only 5 left.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

even the long weekends are too short

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos

Elder Postsman posted:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

graph posted:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Elder Postsman posted:

tomorrows my last full day here and we havent even hit the micros yet. htf does 6 days go by so fast ?

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

made steaks last night on the grill because the weather has been lovely rain all weekend. Best I've grilled yet. :)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
why am i so burpy

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
just constantly burping for no reason

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

finally got snow and it feels a little more like xmas. :)
Meeting my parents tonight to celebrate together.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

finally got my wildflower seeds in the ground. let's see how many germinate!

sewing project coming along, making a little wine sleeve to decorate bottles i bring to someone's house.

still need to finish the top and put on a handle

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
guess what. its still the weekend, and being off the loving computer owns hell yeah

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
moms and pops and i won pub quiz last night with two randos. we were just in for a pizza and it turned into that, enjoy your gift card luke and steph. extremely fun stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i've been doing little but playing video games and napping for the last three days and it is glorious, all the more so for having an actual weekend-and-a-bit to go