Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

My opinion is it was funny and made me laugh, so it should stand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Black Sunshine posted:

What does this even mean?

I’m assuming they’re mad they don’t play in sanfran proper?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Black Sunshine posted:

What does this even mean?

They pretend they're a San Francisco team after moving out of town. The Chargers at least changed their name.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Officials are traditionally part of the field of play. Like a goal post or whatever.

It sucks because they are humans who could move out of the way if they were not morons but I think that's the general way it's always been done.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

The337th posted:

League got very lucky for that to happen early in the game and have no impact on the outcome

Imagine if Lamar hosed up his knee or something.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Bip Roberts posted:

They pretend they're a San Francisco team after moving out of town. The Chargers at least changed their name.

Something something New Jersey Jets/Giants

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Grittybeard posted:

Officials are traditionally part of the field of play. Like a goal post or whatever.

It sucks because they are humans who could move out of the way if they were not morons but I think that's the general way it's always been done.

Yeah, back in the early 2000s or so there was a WR on the ... Saints? I think? Who was as wide open as it gets and on his way to catching a touchdown when he, looking back for the ball, managed to run straight into a ref. He was furious, as were a bunch of folks, but that was the response from the league: Refs are part of the field. Just how it goes.

Edit: Found it (computer's on mute, sorry if the sound is, I dunno, heinous)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfnK48MrDYo

Toaster Beef fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 27, 2023

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
The ref should've anticipated Lamar running 20 yards backwards

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Golden State 49ers doesn’t flow very good

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
One thing that would have been funny if the Ravens lost would have been a week of posts like:

quote:

*Runs 20 yards backwards into the end zone, trips on the ref, and falls down*
"How could the refs do this!?!?!"

But in all seriousness, I really don't know what else the refs can do there. They aren't exactly expecting a QB to run 20 yards backwards into his own endzone and expecting them to keep up with a pro athlete while running backwards to keep eyes on the field isn't realistic. Even if he doesn't trip, he's not going to keep up and likely going to end up in the middle of play either blocking Lamar or a defender. Having them stand back even further than the 15 yards they already do would be a detriment to the 99.999% of other plays that don't involve the QB running backwards into his own endzone. They've also been consistent about this before. In particular I know I've seen players run into the back judge on pass plays. I'm pretty sure we've even seen a pick caused by that? I would also be completely unsurprised to find out that this strategy of bailing out backwards is often helped by defenders having to suddenly avoid one of the two refs ~15 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

What's the solution?

I really don't think blowing the play dead would be a good solution. Ravens fans in this case would still be pissed when Lamar is technically sacked inside the 3 because of this.

Treating the whole play like it didn't happen is dumb and any kind of codified rule around it would probably be gamed. Imagine every safety flopping for a redo on busted coverage or every QB on a blown play trying to bump into the Umpire real quick.

Fewer or even no on field refs and do everything from cameras? I do think you need some kind of presence from them on field, though you could probably cut it down with heavy use of camera judges. This is probably the closest we could get to a working solution, but the particular ref he ran into might be one of the ones you keep on the field. Another issue with this one is we'd probably need even more cameras and I'm not certain they could cover everything.

I think this is a situation where if just this one play was considered, yeah there is a better solution, but when considering the 99.99% of other plays all the solutions to fix this play are either silly, ineffective, or actively worse.

The best solution is accepting that the unusual strategy of running 20 yards backwards carries the unusual risk of running into the umpire or referee back there.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Papercut posted:

It’s kind of amazing that anyone but Lamar is taking the blame for him running backwards 20 yards into his own endzone and something bad happening.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Papercut posted:

Exactly. The refs are poo poo but I'm not sure that ref even considered that could even happen.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Nah, it would be very easy to exercise a rule resetting the down due to ref interference. Any attempt to game the system is protected against by fines and the refs themselves calling out mother fuckers that bump into them.

Not changing the rule is fine, since it doesn't come up much that a bunch of unathletic retirees are running into guys, but it would be very easy to improve.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Papercut posted:

Literally yes he should have

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Any attempt to game the system is protected against by fines and the refs themselves calling out mother fuckers that bump into them.

Lol if you think giving them this out results in anything other than the safety standing AND Lamar getting a fine.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

AndrewP posted:

That's unreasonable. How is he supposed to know something like that could happen? Watch some games?

Ain't nobody got time for that.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Nah, it would be very easy to exercise a rule resetting the down due to ref interference. Any attempt to game the system is protected against by fines and the refs themselves calling out mother fuckers that bump into them.

Not changing the rule is fine, since it doesn't come up much that a bunch of unathletic retirees are running into guys, but it would be very easy to improve.

Simple, make running into the ref on purpose ejectable.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Just blow the play dead and replay down if a ref "interferes in a substantial way with the outcome of the play." Interference, catching the ball, spotting the ball, and somehow what's considered in bounds are all subjective already. In this case I would have been fine if they had just swallowed the flag and made up some bullshit about how it wasn't grounding cause Zay Flowers was within 30 yards or something, which they already do with makeup calls all the time.

It's also rare enough that it doesn't need to change, and it won't unless it injures a player important enough to affect ratings.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

wilderthanmild posted:

Lol if you think giving them this out results in anything other than the safety standing AND Lamar getting a fine.

It's not an out I'm giving them. Thr league can fine players for basically anything. It's a really hosed up enforcement mechanism. If any of y'all can be fined at work, you need to quit that job or start a union (not with the NFLPA).

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Sorry defense, we know you flushed the QB back 20 yards and had 3 guys fencing him in, but he ran into the ref so replay the down.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Papercut posted:

Sorry defense, we know you flushed the QB back 20 yards and had 3 guys fencing him in, but he ran into the ref so replay the down.

Another play where the 49er defense had Lamar fenced in.

https://twitter.com/frito_paw/status/1739478432180777173?t=I4is3yyUcfkOIJrKfggvig&s=19

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Yeah he did a good job of not running into the refs on that play, good on him

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

He wasn’t even fenced in, he had plenty of room in front of him except the dumbass ref

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
The next team that plays the Ravens needs to wear an alternate uniform with zebra stripes, and Lamar will spend the entire game running straight into sacks. What a goof.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Papercut posted:

Yeah he did a good job of not running into the refs on that play, good on him

Honestly it was poor form by the refs. Nobody got within 5 yards of him. Never going to tackle him like that.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Obviously it didn’t mean anything to the game, I just can’t remember a season where the refs annoyed me more and this is like the culmination.

Also I don’t think worrying about where officials are should be in a players’ head when trying to do cool and/or reckless poo poo

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

just remove refs from the field entirely and call everything from a ref command center that has a million camera angles. also put a chip in the ball.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I'm happy the refs are on the field like a Mario kart banana peel for the true dumb rear end savants out there

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

the 'refs interfering with a play' that i find most annoying is when the offense basically uses a ref's dumbass to run a pick play without getting called for OPI.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I didn't realize Mahomes was having such a bad year. Sub 2:1 TD to INT ratio, sub 7.0 Y/A, 91.7 QB rating.

We all know he's a top 3 quarterback - the receiving group for the Chiefs must be historically awful to make him regress that much.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

sharknado slashfic posted:

Imagine if Lamar hosed up his knee or something.

imagine if Lamar ran into the ref and exploded taking out the ref, several 49ers, and left a small crater

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
The KC line has been bad too and Kelce is having a down year by his insane HoF standard.

Chiefs are still the team I least want to see in the playoffs. Any given Sunday Mahomes, Kelce, and Reid can gently caress you up.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Kirios posted:

I didn't realize Mahomes was having such a bad year. Sub 2:1 TD to INT ratio, sub 7.0 Y/A, 91.7 QB rating.

We all know he's a top 3 quarterback - the receiving group for the Chiefs must be historically awful to make him regress that much.

It's extremely funny to watch. Mahomes extending plays for 5+ seconds, running all over the place, rocketing a ball to an extremely covered shithead with no hands. Or sometimes said shithead just stops so Mahomes pegs a safety in the breadbasket

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

AndrewP posted:

we all love having exciting super athletes at QB, but they better not be too exciting for an old man standing on the field to keep track of

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Kirios posted:

I wonder how that "Mahomes regresses to the mean" guy from reddit is doing this season. He'd probably have some choice takes about it.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The Puppy Bowl posted:

The KC line has been bad too and Kelce is having a down year by his insane HoF standard.

Chiefs are still the team I least want to see in the playoffs. Any given Sunday Mahomes, Kelce, and Reid can gently caress you up.

Kelce's 34, far more likely then not he's just over the hill

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Objectively you wouldn't even put Mahomes in the Pro Bowl this year.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Kelce is basically ancient in terms of TEs right

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

If I was the ref I simply would have outrun Lamar Jackson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
Frankly I'm astounded the Ravens didn't eat a 15 yarder on top of the safety for assaulting a ref and Lamar wasn't ejected. The NFL cops are slacking.