Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
I need some help as I've run into a brick wall with regards to Linux.

I'm self taught with Linux (mostly forums/trial and error/chatgpt) and for the life of me I cannot re-mount my synology to my linux machine via NFS to /mnt.

For background.

I have a linux machine running ubuntu and a synology NAS on the same network. I need to mount the synology to the linux machine's /mnt diectory in order for my Plex to function.

In order to mount the synology I was using NFS. I had this working until I had an unexpected crash on the linux machine when plugging in a new external harddrive.

After reboot I had to reconfigure the linux machine's IP address (specifically it's subnet mask) and reconfigure it's ssh and remote desktop configs which I was able to fix.

But the big issue is that my synology won't mount to /mnt.

My synology is setup like this:

NFS Permissions
IP: linux machine IP/24
Privilege: Read/Write
Squash: Map all users to admin
Security: sys

NFS - enabled
Maximum NFS Protocol: NFSv4

and my Linux Machine is setup like this:

/etc/fstab

(IP OF SYNOLOGY):/volume1 /mnt/plexmedia nfs auto 0 0

I typically mounted the NFS using this command in terminal (I don't recall if it worked with or without sudo):

mount -t nfs -o rw,nfsver=4 server:/volume1/media /mnt/plexmedia

If I use the command without sudo I get the error 'mount.nfs: failed to apply fstab options'

If I use the command with sudo it just hangs and nothing happens.

When I use chatgpt to help me - I run into a loop where I am asked to restart the nfs-common.service and I get an error saying it's masked - and chatgpt keeps trying to get me to unmask it.
Everything I do to unmask nfs-common is met with the catch-22 error of 'failed because nfs-common is masked.'

Any help would be appriciated.

So long story short - can you help me mount my synology to my linux machine on /mnt using the NFS protocol?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
I managed to figure it out - I hope.

I essentially drilled down and found that nfs-common was symbolically linked to /dev/null.

So I deleted the symbolic link - reloaded the systemd daemon and nfs-common was able to start using systemctl start.

I say I hope because I found some post on reddit about using this method but that it failed upon reboot - but poo poo at least I know how to correct it if I need to again.