Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

icyy
Jul 3, 2023
Whats Your Favorite Retro Game? just curious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
dungeon master for the apple 2 gs and the other 5,000 home computers from the 80s it was ported to

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I replay The Secret of Monkey Island at least once every year at a minimum, OP, so probably that.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Edit: Dungeons of Daggorath. Imgur is being uncooperative.

If I could choose a second, Warlords for the 2600.

Bell_ fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Apr 9, 2024

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Sonic 3 & Knuckles

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Microprose was such a huge name in games, for me at least, in the 80s and 90s. Civilization, X-com, Transport Tycoon/Railroad/Rollercoaster Tycoon, Pirates! Gold, Majesty. I haven't played their games in this current millennium, but their earlier games are just timeless.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Sonic 2 by measure of how many times I've replayed it front to back. It's like an annual craving for some reason, but I love it every time. Sometimes I'll go for speed, sometimes minimal deaths, sometimes emeralds, sometimes just explore each level in full.

Obviously nostalgia and memories are important. It was my most played Genesis title by far

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
is it cheating to say doom if i'm playing WADs from up to and including 2024

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

what am i missing with this game? i have the gog version and its just never clicked with me. i never played it as a kid/teen but i generally like sim games. is there something you'd normally do when you start out a new campaign? i feel like i sail randomly, not many npcs give you a particular idea of what to do. i cant seem to grind up money. ive played a lot of uncharted waters 2 and its just way more streamlined, even if i dont progress the story i can make note of some good trade routes and grind cash and whatever i find around

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Sick! Thats DOPE posted:

what am i missing with this game? i have the gog version and its just never clicked with me. i never played it as a kid/teen but i generally like sim games. is there something you'd normally do when you start out a new campaign? i feel like i sail randomly, not many npcs give you a particular idea of what to do. i cant seem to grind up money. ive played a lot of uncharted waters 2 and its just way more streamlined, even if i dont progress the story i can make note of some good trade routes and grind cash and whatever i find around

That's the cover for the original C64 version, which is kind of flawlessly executed in its historical and technological context. The first re-relase was in 1993, "Pirates! Gold", IIRC, on platforms like PC and Amiga. It has rebalancing and new art. The versions on GOG seem to be "Pirates! Gold Plus", whatever that is, and the reboot/remake "Sid Meier’s Pirates!" from 2004. Which of them are you playing?

For the original C64 version, I can only recommend starting with a readthrough of the manual. It gives you some ideas of what to do.

Edit: That said, the game is by design extremely open-ended. The usual career curve I followed was to get a crew, find appropriate targets (slightly larger ships), conquer them and sell their cargo in port, recruit more crew for your growing fleet. At a certain point, start taking part in warfare by conquering cities for your nation, etc. Every so often crew gets bored so you divide plunder and start that cycle over. Interspersed are the various treasure map quests, missing relatives, courtship. As your character ages, consider retiring.

One stretch goal you can set is to rescue as much of your family as possible. I think I got up to a half dozen family members one time, who had all been kidnapped by Evil Spaniards. That took days to play through.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Apr 17, 2024

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

That's the cover for the original C64 version, which is kind of flawlessly executed in its historical and technological context. The first re-relase was in 1993, "Pirates! Gold", IIRC, on platforms like PC and Amiga. It has rebalancing and new art. The versions on GOG seem to be "Pirates! Gold Plus", whatever that is, and the reboot/remake "Sid Meier’s Pirates!" from 2004. Which of them are you playing?

For the original C64 version, I can only recommend starting with a readthrough of the manual. It gives you some ideas of what to do.

Edit: That said, the game is by design extremely open-ended. The usual career curve I followed was to get a crew, find appropriate targets (slightly larger ships), conquer them and sell their cargo in port, recruit more crew for your growing fleet. At a certain point, start taking part in warfare by conquering cities for your nation, etc. Every so often crew gets bored so you divide plunder and start that cycle over. Interspersed are the various treasure map quests, missing relatives, courtship. As your character ages, consider retiring.

One stretch goal you can set is to rescue as much of your family as possible. I think I got up to a half dozen family members one time, who had all been kidnapped by Evil Spaniards. That took days to play through.

it is this version https://www.gog.com/en/game/pirates_gold_plus

thanks for the tips. i got it a few years ago during the pandemic and tried to get into it a few times but ended up playing old classics that im more familiar with like dune 2, lol

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Sick! Thats DOPE posted:

it is this version https://www.gog.com/en/game/pirates_gold_plus

thanks for the tips. i got it a few years ago during the pandemic and tried to get into it a few times but ended up playing old classics that im more familiar with like dune 2, lol

Dune 2 is, like, a world of difference in polish and scope, isn't it? Those six years between the games meant the world.

It's definitely another immortal classic, though I can't imagine it's very ergonomic if you're used to modern RTS games. My memory of it was that in order to win you had to figure out how to abuse the AI a bit.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

M.C. Kids for NES.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Dell_Zincht posted:

Sonic 3 & Knuckles

This is the correct answer though

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

Bucky O'Hare for the NES is the game I get most nostalgic about. Great little platformer with wonderful music, varying levels, and interesting bosses. I'd strongly recommend it to just about anyone.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Donkey Kong Country Returns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Intellivision's TRON