Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Bonzo posted:

Good to know. By Space Legs do you mean the planet missions? I don't like those anyway and there are tons of games that offer that type of play. I just love flying around in the ship doing stupid poo poo in space or having dog fights.

Space legs is ability to get out of your ship/SRV and walk around. Thankfully it seems like the rest of the game is fine in VR. I can vouch that flying and even driving in SRV on planet surfaces is gorgeous if your PC can handle it. Protip - find a planet with large mountains or canyons and drive over the edge in SRV. The most immersive is of course VR with HOTAS, not sure how it works with KB+M or touch controllers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baalaagaa
Apr 9, 2004

Zugzwang posted:

I had an account during groverhaus but somehow missed it. That seems like a genuine loss IMO

The wonders of load bearing drywall & pouring concrete directly onto swamp land in the middle of winter.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

wesleywillis posted:

Speaking of famous internet poo poo.

What is some famous internet poo poo the was spawned by SA?

Slenderman

Was Badger Badger Badger an SA thing?

I know there was a bunch of poo poo, but can't think of most of it because I'm dumb. And wasn't really here for the forums' hey day. I first joined in 2007 or so, and I think this place had already peaked.

All Your Base comes to mind, pretty sure that poo poo was started here.

The Let's Play subforum was the foundation of what's now a billion dollar industry and had who knows how much massive influence on internet culture. I remember when the danganronpa thread got paywalled, it was hilarious because a lot of other communities had glommed onto that thread specifically because it was really great - the subforum had a ton of really great threads in that era and word of mouth led to the hobby really taking off. It's hard to imagine now but Youtube was considered the video host of last resort because of the 10 minute limit and awful encoding quality. The Boatmurdered thread played a big role in exposing Dwarf Fortress to wider audience, you can probably draw a line between that thread and DF winding up in a museum. People with personalities started figuring out how to become internet celebrities by sticking their face onto the corner of let's play videos, and then twitch.tv came along and the rest is history.

dril was a goon

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

QuarkJets posted:

The Let's Play subforum was the foundation of what's now a billion dollar industry and had who knows how much massive influence on internet culture.

The "Let's Play" title came from a goon who was emulating a similar format but with a different title format on the games forum, who had come from another forum on a different website, who was mimicking a style originated by me. If I still had the links, I could prove it, A to B to C to D to Let's Play. Once I get my old account back I will prove this to you and by golly I will in the history books

I missed out on loss. I never cared for the comic, and kind of ignored when people started hating on it because I didn't think it was worth the love it got nor the hate it got; it was just not a good comic, but like not an atrocious one, right? Well, I don't know. Somehow I managed to evade loss until way late, and by the time I started seeing it everywhere it had apparently come and gone and I was at the very tail end of it. Now whenever I see it I feel like it's a callback to something, everyone high fiving over a memory of something I completely avoided. I think it's the ultimate "you had to be there" joke.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
cad was especially crap because the fella got "successful" enough to buy a quasi expensive art tablet, but always just copy-pasted stuff, hence the popularity and injoke of the xmass card.
on top of the "I self-identify as a gamer" being the entireity of the joke, as opposed to say, penny arcade which had decent enough writing to set it somewhat apart, thats the setting.
For that to suddenly veeer off and start talking about a miscarriage, was as unexpected as shaggy and scooby pulling the mask off that weeks baddy to reveal that the "ghost" haunting the hotel was actually incest.
yet somehow boring. people had already been mocking the laziness so, yeah, the rest is history.
you missed absolutely nothing.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Who was Dril, and how did he become Twitter famous?

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

All Your Base comes to mind, pretty sure that poo poo was started here.

The Let's Play subforum was the foundation of what's now a billion dollar industry and had who knows how much massive influence on internet culture. I remember when the danganronpa thread got paywalled, it was hilarious because a lot of other communities had glommed onto that thread specifically because it was really great

It wasn't just that - the goon who was doing the DR LP was also translating it as he went along and if you didn't know how to read Japanese, that was the only way you could watch/read through the game. It also was anime as hell so it attracted that whole crowd during the peak Tumblr era.

staberind posted:

cad was especially crap because the fella got "successful" enough to buy a quasi expensive art tablet, but always just copy-pasted stuff, hence the popularity and injoke of the xmass card.
on top of the "I self-identify as a gamer" being the entireity of the joke, as opposed to say, penny arcade which had decent enough writing to set it somewhat apart, thats the setting.
For that to suddenly veeer off and start talking about a miscarriage, was as unexpected as shaggy and scooby pulling the mask off that weeks baddy to reveal that the "ghost" haunting the hotel was actually incest.
yet somehow boring. people had already been mocking the laziness so, yeah, the rest is history.
you missed absolutely nothing.

Yeah the whole joke was basically the random as hell abrupt tone change, plus the author writing a seriously heinous post saying that the comic was inspired by a miscarriage he and his partner had for real, somehow even throwing out the line "sometimes the miscarriage is harder on the man".

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

RapturesoftheDeep posted:

Yup, and also got taken in as some kind of concubine by some college professors or something. I also recall her being really, really racist and Libertarian.

She's got a somewhat up-to-date LinkedIn page, in case you want to hire her: https://www.linkedin.com/in/faye-kane-74889929

wow she sounds great

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

ishikabibble posted:

It wasn't just that - the goon who was doing the DR LP was also translating it as he went along and if you didn't know how to read Japanese, that was the only way you could watch/read through the game. It also was anime as hell so it attracted that whole crowd during the peak Tumblr era.

Yeah the whole joke was basically the random as hell abrupt tone change, plus the author writing a seriously heinous post saying that the comic was inspired by a miscarriage he and his partner had for real, somehow even throwing out the line "sometimes the miscarriage is harder on the man".

So wait, two things. 1.) That whole miscarriage strip was supposed to be a JOKE? and 2.) They had another strip where a ghost was haunting a hotel and the ghost was incest?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

As an aside I had actually confused that Penny Arcade miscarriage strip with the Piled High and Deeper web comic because they have such similar art styles.

I don't think this comic classifies as famous as it's exclusively for dorks in graduate school. It was pretty obnoxious. The guy who wrote it is an engineer and he created a humanities character where the joke was that the funding was cut for humanities majors so the character had to justify why the comic should retain a humanities character. I think there was also only one social science grad student and she was an activist who always goes to rallies and she was wife of one of the main characters, and that was her character.

The main theme of the comic is procrastination.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mulaney Power Move posted:

So wait, two things. 1.) That whole miscarriage strip was supposed to be a JOKE? and 2.) They had another strip where a ghost was haunting a hotel and the ghost was incest?

1:From what I gathered, yes, but 2: "incest" No mate, it was an example of how crass the tonal change was.
E: Bumstress.

staberind fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 12, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I didn't miss this but I just remembered my favorite thing ever from the SA forums that I think a lot of people probably missed out on or forgot about: the Geno Invasion in Coke Music

follow the path of grey

It was a perfect example of SA banding together to perform a hilarious and entirely harmless/inoffensive "invasion" of habbo hotel and Coke music where everyone was named Geno### with plain avatars dressed in gray hoodies and sweatpants with buzzcuts, and pretended to be part of a nihilistic cult that worshipped the color grey. We would take over the DJ stands in CokeMusic and just play single note songs full of silence while encouraging everyone to convert to the path of grey. And people got insanely mad about it

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 12, 2024

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
Kra!

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

oh yeah what was this anyway? i see the gang tags sometimes with the book cart lady

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Never read Homestuck

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

SirPhoebos posted:

Never read Homestuck

you weren't supposed to. don't do it

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Ok, so you don't get Loss, that's sad - but I think it's time to move on and heal

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

deep dish peat moss posted:

I didn't miss this but I just remembered my favorite thing ever from the SA forums that I think a lot of people probably missed out on or forgot about : the Geno Invasion in Coke Music

follow the path of grey

It was a perfect example of SA banding together to perform a hilarious and entirely harmless/inoffensive "invasion" of habbo hotel and Coke music where everyone was named Geno### with plain avatars dressed in gray hoodies and sweatpants with buzzcuts, and pretended to be part of a nihilistic cult that worshipped the color grey. We would take over the DJ stands in CokeMusic and just play single note songs full of silence while encouraging everyone to convert to the path of grey. And people got insanely mad about it

This sounds amazing and I’m sad I missed it. Please tell me someone has video and it wasn’t lost to waffleimages (rip)

databasic
Jan 8, 2024
Did anyone ever actually understand any part of TimeCube?

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

databasic posted:

yeah i mean its all logical when you think about it

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

databasic posted:

Sounds like you're educated stupid

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

That's doctor stupid to you

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Pretty obvious what "fingat" means on these here forums, but I don't know where it came from. I assume it started with a goon typo.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

doctorfrog posted:

Pretty obvious what "fingat" means on these here forums, but I don't know where it came from. I assume it started with a goon typo.

dude claimed he blew his finger off and was posting through it

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I've never used instagram, snapchat or tiktok, and I never loving will.

Edit: or Vine. Never seen a vine, when those existed.

Vine was interesting, because some of them were really loving funny. It really encouraged people with a gag or a funny event just to show it without a chance to over-do it or reveal themselves to suck actually, and it was never as creepy and monetised and algorithmic as TikTok. I kind of miss Vine.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
My experience with Vine is like...

Here is a guy making an original joke.
Here are several hundred thousand people trying to capitalize on the success of the first guy's joke as quickly as possible. THERE IS A NEW JOKE OUT THERE WE MUST COPY IT IN A VIDEO BEFORE OTHERS GET THERE FIRST

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

This is the only good thing to come out of Vine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdSJ1--kBZ4

databasic
Jan 8, 2024
Vine was all about the cut. Time the buildup and cut the video well before preestablished rules of comedic timing. There were a lot of Viners who were :discourse: in a way I haven't even seen professional comedians.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Vine had a lot of really great stuff, but also a lot of poo poo. Such is the internet.

Jan 16, 2024
60 minutes of high-speed delirium

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

deep dish peat moss posted:

I didn't miss this but I just remembered my favorite thing ever from the SA forums that I think a lot of people probably missed out on or forgot about : the Geno Invasion in Coke Music

follow the path of grey

The path is the light brother.

And that light? It's the path.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Grey Cat posted:

Vine had a lot of really great stuff, but also a lot of poo poo. Such is the internet.

Oh yeah, the ratio was probably like 99:1 poo poo to gold (like the Will Sasso vids), but those who knew how to cut a joke were monarchs.

Like, this is much funnier than the full 30 second clip:

https://youtu.be/Zpr2BGoKLF0?si=w5pOhm7FfixohrR-

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

The only other Vine I remember is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7NtIBiwr5U

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Wrong size, mother fucker

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

"Stanley cups". I don't know if this was A Thing or still is and don't particularly care, but the sudden hysteria over some sippy cup was....something. I don't get it at all.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

"Stanley cups". I don't know if this was A Thing or still is and don't particularly care, but the sudden hysteria over some sippy cup was....something. I don't get it at all.

Stanley cup thread got gassed so I'm here to say I also don't get it. And as far as I'm aware was a recent phenomenon.
Like what's so special about them that has people going nuts?

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
Did they not catch heat from the actual Stanley Cup people (the NHL)?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

It's actually very successful marketing, it's not a trend that grew organically out of nowhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Is this the Stanley Tool people?

Or the Flat Stanley people?