Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
News:
https://x.com/SleeperNFL/status/1741151908407235028?s=20

Views:
If I was any of those teams I'd still make Denver eat a lot of Russel's salary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
Im not sure what to feel on the Russ situation because objectively Payton is correct and this is the forward thinking move. Otoh its a lovely move by the Broncos BUT teams do this all the time and Russ just happens to be the only one to air it publicly. I want say both are true: Payton wouldve sat Russ post-bye if he really wanted to and Russ couldve spoken out sooner if he really cared about this. Seems like its mostly a GM thing to me and Russ is hamming it up

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I'd definitely rather see Russ on the Steelers than, like, Kirk Cousins

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Android Apocalypse posted:

News:
https://x.com/SleeperNFL/status/1741151908407235028?s=20

Views:
If I was any of those teams I'd still make Denver eat a lot of Russel's salary.

If he’s released he won’t have a contract anymore so there’s no salary to eat.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Master Stur posted:

Im not sure what to feel on the Russ situation because objectively Payton is correct and this is the forward thinking move. Otoh its a lovely move by the Broncos BUT teams do this all the time and Russ just happens to be the only one to air it publicly. I want say both are true: Payton wouldve sat Russ post-bye if he really wanted to and Russ couldve spoken out sooner if he really cared about this. Seems like its mostly a GM thing to me and Russ is hamming it up

He's still getting paid. Move on. Don't shed your tears.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I don't get all the sadness about him being benched. if he was better earlier in the season, they'd still be in the playoff hunt, and so he'd still be playing. but he wasn't, so he isn't.

he's on the bench because he sucked so much last season, and was pretty bad this season, that based on his performance it's in the team's best interest not to trigger any more guarantees. we can all handwring about how he's being benched for money, but to be accurate, he's being benched because his play isn't worth anywhere near his salary

nobody's ever like "man it sucks that Sam Darnold doesn't get to start." playing time isn't part of the deal, that's what the money's for

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

indigi posted:

his play isn't worth anywhere near his salary

Thats not how contracts work and there was nothing stopping the broncos from sitting him even if he waived his clause

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Despera posted:

Thats not how contracts work and there was nothing stopping the broncos from sitting him even if he waived his clause

He didn’t get benched until two months after the ultimatum so I don’t think it actually mattered at all and it was always going to come down to whether Payton wanted to play him or not.

He’s also going to get everything he’s owed on his contract, he’s making 125 million dollars for two years of work and most of that is from a contract extension that hasn’t even started yet!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Despera posted:

he's getting his money, where did I say otherwise

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Still mad about last night, haven't been that irritated about a call about a team I don't care about since the Fail Mary.

Which at least had the excuse of literal scabs to explain the incompetence there!

indigi posted:

I don't get all the sadness about him being benched. if he was better earlier in the season, they'd still be in the playoff hunt, and so he'd still be playing. but he wasn't, so he isn't.

he's on the bench because he sucked so much last season, and was pretty bad this season, that based on his performance it's in the team's best interest not to trigger any more guarantees. we can all handwring about how he's being benched for money, but to be accurate, he's being benched because his play isn't worth anywhere near his salary

nobody's ever like "man it sucks that Sam Darnold doesn't get to start." playing time isn't part of the deal, that's what the money's for

It's not sadness at Wilson getting benched, it's disgust at the Broncos/Walmart for trying to force him out of his insurance policy, which is a super gross thing to do! After the last two seasons they're making Wilson seem like he's the reasonable person here and that's ridiculous!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

no there's plenty of people posting "just let him finish the season!!" or "man it's a shame to bench such a competitive guy at the end of his career." being disgusted by their contract shenanigans is good, that's not what I’m reacting to

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

indigi posted:

no there's plenty of people posting "just let him finish the season!!" or "man it's a shame to bench such a competitive guy at the end of his career." being disgusted by their contract shenanigans is good, that's not what I’m reacting to

Who's saying that? gently caress Russell Wilson. His personality is basically a Great Value Tom Brady which makes him infinitely hateable.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Black Sunshine posted:

Who's saying that? gently caress Russell Wilson. His personality is basically a Great Value Tom Brady which makes him infinitely hateable.

I miss Tom

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1741448595314704680

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Even with a 5-6% chance of making the playoffs it's dumb not to play Wilson. He's lost a step from his prime but he's not outright bad, just average, he's doing a 3-1 TD:INT ratio at this point. He should at least play until they are mathematically eliminated, the minimum standard, and they could easily win out with him. I can only see that this is Payton bringing the shiv out early because he doesn't like Wilson. Financially, it's not like it's clear that Wilson will pass a physical now, and the idea they will have a Seahawks-style "rebuild but not" year coming up is not realistic. This isn't the 49ers, they don't have the all-around talent to just slot in whatever QB and make him look like a first ballot guy.

I can only imagine that Wilson pisses Payton off on the reg, especially if threatening to sit him after the bye was true. But lol if this is all because Wilson is not delivering the top #5 QB performance they wanted. You signed the contract guys.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Dec 31, 2023

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Name Change posted:

Even with a 5-6% chance of making the playoffs it's dumb not to play Wilson. He's lost a step from his prime but he's not outright bad, just average, he's doing a 3-1 TD:INT ratio at this point. He should at least play until they are mathematically eliminated, the minimum standard, and they could easily win out with him. I can only see that this is Payton bringing the shiv out early because he doesn't like Wilson. Financially, it's not like it's clear that Wilson will pass a physical now, and the idea they will have a Seahawks-style "rebuild but not" year coming up is not realistic. This isn't the 49ers, they don't have the all-around talent to just slot in whatever QB and make him look like a first ballot guy.

I can only imagine that Wilson pisses Payton off on the reg, especially if threatening to sit him after the bye was true. But lol if this is all because Wilson is not delivering the top #5 QB performance they wanted. You signed the contract guys.
Payton wasn’t the one who who executed the trade then offered that albatross of a contract to Russ before he played a down for the team. All of that was the dumbass GM that somehow still hasn’t been fired.

It looks to my uneducated eye that Payton has had to call a very limited offense to get Russ to this point in the season with those stats. Payton probably thinks that they would be in the playoffs if he could call an adult offense instead of having to cater to Russ’s toddler level “can only make certain throws”.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 31, 2023

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Yeah. I don't get the outrage here. They're not going to win with Russ, they've shown that, so cutting him is the right move. Asking him about the garuntees is a bit of a dick move, but frankly less of a dick move than half the stuff in the league as he's still going to get paid.

If Russ wanted to still be a Bronco he could have taken a pay cut or played better.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
The goddamn refs are infallible much like the pope

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What's the tldr of whatever happened at the end of the game yesterday

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

https://twitter.com/BenjaminSolak/status/1741329085073125779?s=20

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

The lions tried to trick the refs and successfully did but didn't listen to the refs announce on the PA exactly what was going on.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

we've got a snow game in chicago

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Bip Roberts posted:

The lions tried to trick the refs and successfully did but didn't listen to the refs announce on the PA exactly what was going on.

the Lions were not trying to trick the refs silly

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

The Cowboys can get hosed, the refs can get hosed. Sorry Lions fans.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

AndrewP posted:

the Lions were not trying to trick the refs silly

They explicitly played a gambit with three players approaching the ref at different angles with only one reporting at a critical juncture to add complexity to their trick play they were running.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Bip Roberts posted:

They explicitly played a gambit with three players approaching the ref at different angles with only one reporting at a critical juncture to add complexity to their trick play they were running.

yeah that's why they explained all this to the refs before the game like coaches do when they want to do something weird. complex and weird trick plays are not new

the ref forgot and just assumed he knew what was going on, and it literally cost the Lions the game

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

AndrewP posted:

yeah that's why they explained all this to the refs before the game like coaches do when they want to do something weird. complex and weird trick plays are not new

the ref forgot and just assumed he knew what was going on, and it literally cost the Lions the game

KISS principle dawg

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

:dance:

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

this is one of those events, much like the Calvin Johnson non-catch, that makes a whole lot of people dig into the rulebook and learn some rules they probably weren't too smart on before

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

R.D. Mangles posted:

mbisonYes.gif

edit, wait, we have that one, dont we?

:bisonyes:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

AndrewP posted:

this is one of those events, much like the Calvin Johnson non-catch, that makes a whole lot of people dig into the rulebook and learn some rules they probably weren't too smart on before

Sorry rule of cool it's funnier this way

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1741489390608912794?s=46

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Howell is like a 5th rounder, I don't understand why they are so bought into him.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
They openly benched him and he's only starting because of injury?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

xbilkis posted:

They openly benched him and he's only starting because of injury?

They started him all season

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Howell is like a 5th rounder, I don't understand why they are so bought into him.

One man wolf pack

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

mcmagic posted:

They started him all season

a large fraction of a season where someone still gets benched before the end isn't what I'd describe as *so bought into him*

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
He was OK to start the season, then he sucked, then they benched him. That doesn't seem particularly bought in to me, unless you think they should have been starting 31 year old Jacoby Brissett sooner rather than using 15 whole games to evaluate a young guy who flashed some potential

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Bip Roberts posted:

Sorry rule of cool it's funnier this way

The Law of Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Jake Fromm, State Farm?