Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
Are we really using counting stats against a guy in the same breadth as mentioning that every team avoided giving him the ball to rack up said counting stats? I think those teams were afraid of the TD success rate he had (14) and hall of very good should count extra for a special teamer imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

Mr. Nice! posted:

His counting stats put him over the top when you properly contextualize them. He's head and shoulders above any contemporary as a whole, and his punt return game is untouchable. He only doesn't have more yards per return because he housed so many.

I agree with you but in my phone posting took too long to type that out before your post. You put to words what I wish I had the ability to articulate better. He warped the game because of his high rate of housing it so it's natural is raw yardage isn't special.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
If you can put a game plan in the hall for its influence or impact in a Super Bowl you should put Hester in for housing one on the opening return. Also put the Saints onside kick in. Yes I know the bears lost anyways but it's the bears let them have this one.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
You simply dont tell the story of the 2000s NFL without mentioning Hester. Its that simple and hes a HoFer

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
Im not sure what to feel on the Russ situation because objectively Payton is correct and this is the forward thinking move. Otoh its a lovely move by the Broncos BUT teams do this all the time and Russ just happens to be the only one to air it publicly. I want say both are true: Payton wouldve sat Russ post-bye if he really wanted to and Russ couldve spoken out sooner if he really cared about this. Seems like its mostly a GM thing to me and Russ is hamming it up