Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
E oops I thought this was the gdt

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Hold up, Dion Sanders isn't in the hall?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Mirotic posted:

:hmmyes:

Tillman, over 13 seasons, nearly doubled the total of forced fumbles as the second highest player in that same timeframe (44 vs. 23).

Peanut Punch ftw
Wait he ALSO isn't in the hall?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fartknocker posted:

Deion was a first ballot inductee in 2011

Why are people talking like he isn't?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Doltos posted:

The Basketball Hall of Fame is what people want the NFL HOF to turn into because then all their favorite players who were pretty good get the award and then they feel good. That's not the NFL HOF. You have to be literally the best. A returner who didn't even play offense is not that. He could have been fungible with any other skill position and the fact that no one wastes their best players on returning is a testament to how meh Hester career was.
Hester redefined the game and if returners are so interchangeable then more teams would interchange them. We run this experiment every time a game is close in the fourth and the other team punts and it's still the normal return guy back there.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Doltos posted:

They do get changed up. Head coaches also don't like to change things too much that are working. Belichick specifically didn't want anything but a sure handed guy returning things because he hated fumbles on special teams.

How come DJ Moore wasn't returning punts against Cleveland with the season on the line?

How come tonight, the Jets who couldn't get anything going offensively, didn't have a WR try it tonight?

Why is it, with roster spots so tight that teams still have kick returners at all?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
We could put a WR, any of them, back there and we'd be instantly better, but we don't because we don't want to change what's working. But also it isn't working which is why we're losing.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Doltos posted:

Moore returned a few kicks earlier in his career but I doubt the Bears want to risk injuring their main trade piece from the last offseason. I don't exactly think their season was on the line since they need a lot of certain things to happen to make the playoffs even if they won that game.

You think the Jets would have suddenly beat Cleveland if they put Garrett Wilson in? Also didn't Xavier Gipson have a bunch of decent to good returns?
no, because I don't think there's one weird trick to kick returns that teams are too scared to try
(Kickers hate him)

quote:

What does your third question even mean?[\quote]
It means that if I'm only allowed to dress so many guys why am I wasting one on the job that anyone can do?
[Quote] Teams carry a bunch of WRs and DBs naturally for formations and just stick one of them or a RB in at returner. I don't think the position is as impactful as you think it is. Hester had 19 return TDs over 156 games. He averaged 11 yards a punt and 24 yards a return per game. Yeah people kicked away from him, but none of these things really completely change a game. Nor does it really warrant risking good players in the position which is why, again, for the history of the NFL, good returners become regular fixtures on offense or defense. There's a reason why Cordarelle is better, and it's not just because he's a better returner too.
What you're saying here is that every single kickoff. EVERY ONE the Bears got fifteen free, no risk, yards because the ball would be on the 40 instead of the 25 and you think that doesn't changed a game?
Also that's only 15 and not 20 because Hester was so good at what he did that they changed the rules for everyone.
If a guy changes the game forever because he's too good at his position he deserves to be in the hall, simple as.
Every stadium in all of football had to be repainted because of him.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Black Sunshine posted:

Every non-QB is just someone not good enough to play the most important position therefore they all suck and the Hall of Fame should be QB only. No grandfather clause bullshit, take Jerry Rice's bust and melt that fucker down because he wasn't good enough to be a quarterback.

LT is safe

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Mike N Eich posted:

That's in like...6 games? Jesus. Thats sobering.

Maybe they're just counting the Nu Browns

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dpulex posted:

Hey the nati bengos could still get into the playoffs it's possible. Go bengos.

I think it would be extremely funny if burrow never gets a ring

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

BlindSite posted:

Arizona will probably lose out - they play Philly and Seattle

Carolina play Jags this week and Tampa next week who will lock up the NFC south with a win over NO and an Atlanta Loss.

The Cards might leap frog the bears for it. But I agree they should just take MHJ.
They have to beat Seattle

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Bip Roberts posted:

Sorry rule of cool it's funnier this way

The Law of Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin