Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

really queer Christmas posted:

Why the gently caress is the battle for afc 1 seed at noon but the snf game is for the nfc 7th seed.

more people will actually be watching the noon game because it's new year's eve. a lot of people are going to be out partying and half-paying-attention at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I know you missed these tier charts.

Guide:
Over the past 4 weeks:
Top left: Good defense bad offense
Top right: Good defense good offense
Bottom right: Bad defense good offense
Bottom left: Bad defense bad offense

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

drat how gnarly was the injury that they took two days to figure out what it actually was? Must've been a lot of inflammation and swelling.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Benching your star QB while 1 game back from the playoffs is wild, man.

I thought Payton went to Denver because of Wilson?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I don't think I've ever seen a potential playoff team just flat out quit on the playoffs like that before.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

So what does Denver do for QB? They won't have the ammo to trade up in the draft. Are they counting on the trade compensation for Wilson?

Who even trades for Wilson?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kalli posted:

The Packers suspended Jaire Alexander for a game for..... pretending to be a team captain.

He wasn't appointed as captain and went out onto the field anyway. Like Mike Wahle said, that's indicative of some serious locker room issues going on below the surface.

Hot Diggity! posted:

Not really sure what else you're referring to outside of maybe Campbell?

Between Campbell saying he refuses to play through injury anymore because he got (unfairly, he feels) blamed for his performance while injured, Jaire pulling that stunt, Jaire obliquely referencing seemingly the same thing Campbell was ("I could've been better" even though he was also playing through injury makes it kinda sound like Barry has been blaming players for defensive breakdowns), Quay Walker/Stokes/etc all saying odd things about team meetings, and Rasul Douglas getting suddenly traded after meeting with players in the locker room (the Bills offer was a good one but I don't believe Gutey for a second that that was the only consideration going into the trade)...

Barry really needs to go. Pronto.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Bro Darrelle Revis is like #236 all time for interceptions how come people think he should be in the Hall?

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Revis is like 230th in career ints and 20th in passes defended, can’t believe they put that guy in the hall.

Gdi

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

IMO evading 10.5 tacklers on a kick return is a very different skillset than cutting a route and finding a gap between the corner and safety.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Yeah, it's purely agility and speed, nothing else. That's why Trent Richardson was one of the best RBs of all time.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Doltos posted:

They hate me because I'm the only rational person on these forums instead of falling for stats and narratives

You tried to cite counting stats as a reason to keep Hester out.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The arrogance is really something else, isn't it?

I'm still waiting to hear how "it's just speed and agility" explains why all 32 teams don't just put the fastest sprinter they can find out at returner. There's plenty of really fast men who can't catch a ball. Why don't NFL teams maximize every advantage they can get? Are they stupid?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Again, dodging 10.5 tacklers who are all barreling towards you and only you is a very different skillset than being 1 of 3-to-5 potential targets running very specific routes on specific playcalls that are innately designed to diffuse coverage throughout the entire offense as to sift and winnow out the most-open-target.

Not only was Hester able to evade all these tacklers, he was able to dodge them in such timing that he was able to more-or-less influence the flow of play on the field and generate further and repeated openings that he could continue to return through. Remember peak Le'Veon Bell who could juke and patiently wait until gaps opened up to shoot through them? If you're saying Hester is a fungible property, you're essentially saying Trent Richardson could've done the same thing Bell did.

That combined with his speed and agility is why teams hated kicking to him and would take the 40-yard penalty or the pooch/out-of-bounds punts instead.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Doltos posted:

It's literally the same concept, in fact, as running in the open field.

Running in the open field, presumably after a completion, presumably after roughly half the defense (at minimum) has been eliminated via blocking, presumably after the remaining half has been eliminated from consideration because of positioning because they were assigned to other targets during the development of the play.

If you started every single offensive snap with a 25 yards backwards pass to Barry Sanders you'd have Devin Hester.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Doltos posted:

He averaged 11 yards a punt and 24 yards a return per game. Yeah people kicked away from him, but none of these things really completely change a game.

Now include in his numbers the bonus yardage from teams kicking away from him or out-of-bounds so he wouldn't touch the ball.

If peak Hester had been on a team with an offense worth a drat, such as the Green Bay Packers, it would've been unquestionable how much he affected the calculus going into the game.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Doltos posted:

You'll find that kick returners are taught to isolate parts of the field with speed and then strike through open lanes.

The whole point of Devin Hester is that he didn't just find one open lane and then get tackled at the 35 yard line, it was that he'd find that open lane, blitz through it, see incoming tacklers, dance to the side, see two more open lanes, diagnose that one was more open than the other, then blitz through that as well.

I WATCHED my team embarrass themselves against Hester repeatedly. Did you?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Doltos posted:

Ah no wonder. The 80's and 90's were full of people like Hester. You should know that Mel Gray was the original "why isn't this guy in the HoF he was soooo good at returning". It's because it's a fungible position that's often filled by people not good enough to play on either side of the football. Rattling off a series of players that were once returners and then proved to be more valuable probably won't convince you of that. There's a longer list than Steve Smith Jr. and Odell Beckham. Gale Sayers, Adoree Jackson, DeSean Jackson, Deion Sanders, Joey Galloway, Antonio Brown, Julian Edelman, Reggie Bush, Tyreek Hill, Patrick Peterson. It just keeps going on and on that good players are pulled from return duties for a reason and that a lot of these guys have comparable statistical averages, which is something you kind of have to do when comparing people who only briefly held a fungible position that they were deemed too valuable to waste on. He doesn't deserve to be in the HoF just as much as Cordarelle Patterson doesn't deserve it. I think that's reasonable.

Some of these are strange choices to make to argue that they would've been better than Hester. Odell Beckham averaged 6.9 yards per punt return and only returned a kick twice. Adoree Jackson averaged 8.4 yards per punt return and only returned kicks as a rookie -- also, 0 touchdowns.

Gale Sayers returned kicks and punts for nearly his entire career. Deion Sanders returned kicks until he was 25, and returned punts throughout his entire career. Joey Galloway has 4 total kick returns, and returned punts for a large chunk of his career. Antonio Brown returned punts for his entire career. Julian Edelman returned punts for his entire career. Reggie Bush returned punts for his entire time with New Orleans and only stopped once he went to other teams. Patrick Peterson had an amazing rookie season as a punt returner (15.9 yards/return, 4 TDs) and never matched his production again after that. He still returned punts until his age 28 season.

To be honest the pattern I'm seeing here is that they weren't pulled because they were too valuable at other positions, they were pulled because they were getting older and becoming more of an injury risk -- or else players like Beckham and Desean would've been pulled much earlier, since they were immediately effective as receivers. 34-year-old Joey Galloway returned punts for the Bucs for his first season there before losing half the season to injury.

Tyreek, Desean Jackson, and Steve Smith are the players here who actually support your argument (having very strong productivity as a punt returner early in their careers before being permanently relieved of duty).

Hester returned both punts and kicks for his entire career and rarely missed games with injury until he was 33, which essentially ended his career.

PFR links for reference:
edit: targeted the links to the actual return section for easier comparing:

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 30, 2023

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Master Stur posted:

Im not sure what to feel on the Russ situation because objectively Payton is correct and this is the forward thinking move. Otoh its a lovely move by the Broncos BUT teams do this all the time and Russ just happens to be the only one to air it publicly. I want say both are true: Payton wouldve sat Russ post-bye if he really wanted to and Russ couldve spoken out sooner if he really cared about this. Seems like its mostly a GM thing to me and Russ is hamming it up

He's still getting paid. Move on. Don't shed your tears.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Tepper doused some random Jag fan.

https://twitter.com/Kahuna_Med/status/1741580123327869157

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

MLFootball is also a lovely aggregator who hypes up poo poo for clicks.

DISASTEE GROWS 😳
DISASTEE GROWS 😳
DISASTEE GROWS 😳