Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

The Colonel posted:

if you like mygo you should watch the writer's classic 2017 magical girl anime flip flappers. she had to leave the production halfway through for personal reasons so the back half's a bit weaker but it doesn't completely fall off a cliff so much as the pacing gets a bit off the rails and a lot of what's cool about her writing is on display in the stuff she worked on

locodol's also pretty good. something she got full authorship over so it's just a full lesbian comedy about two extremely minor local celebrity idols hanging out and putting on really cheap poorly produced shows

flip flappers got some cool stuff but i would not have pegged that connection if you hadn't said it lol

some of the moodiness is in flip flappers for sure, but the comedy falls flat way more often. the inclusion of the pervert robot is really annoying and not worth the one good gag in 12 eps that it gets.

i do think its strength is in how each ep can be a completely different piece though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i just watched locodol last month, it's fun. i forget who the main girl's VA is but it's a great performance. also i liked how half of the show was about the girls whose job is to wear the mascot character suit

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Tales of Woe posted:

don't forget about the other upcoming pa works original

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2G3qBMT_xw

drat, I love PA Works so I'm definitely checking this one out.

Everyone should watch Buddy Daddies btw

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Ibblebibble posted:

drat, I love PA Works so I'm definitely checking this one out.

same director as ya boy kongming also

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Endorph posted:

https://twitter.com/narenare_anime/status/1771445855859675374 pa works original anime with the bang dream mygo writer/director combo on it.

Feeling more Locodol vibes from this which is still awesome so I'm in

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

talking yuniko reminded me of a talk event she attended and someone summarized years back. The formatting is kinda goofy and there's no way to verify the details so grain of salt, but:

https://yuriempire.wordpress.com/2018/06/04/yuri-talk-yuri-night-edition-1-special-coverage/

quote:

After she finished came Yuniko’s turn. She talked about R.O.D. The TV, a 2003 anime series. It was actually the first anime she ever saw and she was hooked up immediately. She says she used to argue with her brother because she thought it was yuri while he didn’t.

She liked it so much she went out to buy the manga and it was around the time the first Yuri Hime/Yuri Shimai were being published and that was how she entered the world of yuri, She felt so strongly for it that she decided early on she wanted to work doing yuri herself.

rest has some interesting chat on anime writing/screenwriting, it's a good look into how in anime that role really varies in direct influence from project to project

Motto fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 24, 2024

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
wow, her brother was as wrong as it is possible for a human to be.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I mostly just remember how firmly ROD the TV salted the earth on its own premise. There may have been some lesbians in there somewhere on top of that.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
It may be mid, but the material is definitely there. Fun origin story.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

They also released a trailer for Beastars final season

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1771369778265096264

Please note the part 1 in the tweet as the final season is being split into two parts

Dropout Life has some of the manga's best material so it's good that it'll get some time to breathe

on the other hand that means another year of waiting to see how in the hell they'll adapt the Love Failure arc

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

it's been awhile but I remember quite liking ROD TV and it's different direction than the OAV's and the original manga/light novel

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

on the other hand that means another year of waiting to see how in the hell they'll adapt the Love Failure arc

Just cut out Love Failure and make an anime original final arc tbh.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
I watched the various RODs not too long ago and after feeling pretty so-so on the OVA I was positively surprised at how much I adored TV early on, when it's this almost-SoL about an improvised little family unit of some superpowered weirdoes and a depressed author trying to set up a decent life at school for their kid sister. Unfortunately halfway through the actual plot kicks in and from there the show just kind of progressively desintegrates. But the yuri is very real and struck me as kind of ahead of its time in how sincere it felt (at least until the girl in love with said kid sister gets that love metaphysically erased by the british government and that doesn't get explored in any meaningful way beyond acting as an example of how Bad the british government is

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I don't really post a lot in this subforum, but I wanted to say that I just finished the final episode of Apothecaries Diary and I think I truly love that show.
Thanks for making me watch that, because other than the fact that Aoi Yuki is great, I would never have had a reason to give it a chance, otherwise.
Everyone go watch that.

I'm tempted to dig into the manga, but I think I will just be patient until eventually a new season comes around the corner.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they already announced another season for next year

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I rewatched ROD the TV recently and even though I feared it getting worse, I actually liked it all the way through, much better than the OVA. I think the show is much improved if you have an idea of where it's going and can tolerate its changes in tone.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

TV Nenene is definitely a much more fun character than manga/light novel Nenene

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

finished a sign of affection and apothecary diaries

a sign of affection was just a nice romance with a great style the entire time. perfect comfort food show.

i absolutely adored apothecary diaries for most of its run - watching maomao navigate palace intrigue and solve mysteries was regularly one of the highlights of my week. near the end, though, some major emotional moments (jinshi carrying maomao out of the ceremonial chamber after the chandelier falls on her and the reveal that lakan cared about the courtesan and didn't know she was pregnant) didn't really land with the kind of impact i thought they merited and it soured me on the show a little bit. still extremely good and i'd suggest it to anyone.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/himesama_goumon/status/1772284809903321454?t=Jyp6KaiHp_xLdWskIk4r3w&s=19

Yay, season 2 of Tis Time For Torture Princess confirmed!

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Post-season roundup, some good stuff this season!

Frieren: Great, definitely an AotY contender. It's a testament to the quality of the writing and directing that it managed to keep me engaged throughout what was essentially a cour-long tournament arc.

Dungeon Meshi: Another AotY contender. Extremely well-made adaptation of a great manga. Looking forward to the second cour, if I remember correctly this is where the narrative really kicks off in the manga.

Bravern: Rules, if it nails the landing that's three AotY entries from one season. Does a great job of balancing the extremely silly (and extremely gay) premise with genuine drama, and consistently manages to surprise.

Torture Princess: Not exactly beating the "one joke" allegations, but it's a good joke, and animation, voice acting, and comedic pacing are all great. Consistently amusing as a zero-stakes comedy show. Catchiest OP of the season.

Tomozaki-kun: I checked out the first season on a whim back in January, and then immediately went into season two. It's good, but not amazing. At its best, it's an okay-looking slice of life show with surprisingly sincere and well-meant observations about social dynamics and self-improvement, and with some interesting character writing. The second season focuses more on longer story arcs, however, and these seem to be the author's weak point; while the shorter plots of the first season were generally fine, the more ambitious arcs suffer from poor structure, inconsistent pacing, and a disappointing lack of development for certain characters.

Apothecary: I've cooled on this somewhat in the second cour. It still looks great, and Aoi Yuki does a good job as always, but structure-wise I preferred the more self-contained episodes of the first half. The second cour introduces more intrigue and longer story arcs, yet they never feel like they are working towards something. Every arc is still essentially self-contained, nobody seems to be working towards any specific long-term goals, and there is little in the way of character development (in particular, and most disappointingly, for Jinshi). It misses some of the narrative tightness and snappy pacing of the first cour, and the mysteries aren't as interesting or well-constructed. Still a solid 8 out of 10 show, but I kind of wanted it to be more than what it was.

Yubisaki: Cute and fun. Not amazing narrative-wise, but a nice comfort watch.

Dropped:

Metallic Rouge: Kind of a mess in terms of pacing, and AI as a plot element just doesn't do much for me in general. Dropped after five episodes.

Pon no Michi: A slife about mahjong should be right up my alley, but this was ugly, unfunny, and barely about mahjong most of the time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Torture Princess tried a new joke today and it was well worth it.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

cave emperor posted:

Post-season roundup, some good stuff this season

I like Apothecary Diaries and A Sign of Affection a little more than you do but I think we're pretty much on the same page for this season.

If I were to rank what I've finished or am going to finish:

AOTY contenders (ranking these was hard, I love all of them):

Bravern: A mech show that has cool fights and absolutely nails its outrageous tone. Insanely fun time the entire run, and I liked it more and more the more I watched.

Apothecary Diaries: I also think the second season was weaker. The resolutions to some of the extended plotlines don't really land with as much emotional weight as I wanted and this soured me a bit on the show near the end. But watching Maomao navigate court drama and solve mysteries was consistently one my favorite anime watching experiences for the last six months.

Frieren: I feel like Frieren came into its own during the exam arc as it was written in such a way that played to its strengths in terms of character writing and presenting the history of their world while having a classic cool battle shounen setup to get sick laser fights also. Had a ton of fun with it.

A Sign of Affection: Perfect romance comfort food elevated by great style and vibes.

Dungeon Meshi: This is an absolutely fantastic show and the fact I have it fifth mostly on adventure fantasy being a harder sell for me is an indicator of how good this season is. The plot starting to ramp up with the overarching resurrection plot point starting to come to a head makes me think I'll think even more highly of it in the second half.

Eh:

Tomozaki S2: This season was a disappointment - I think the shift in focus from Tomozaki's glowup to longer plots about how the rest of the cast handles high school social interactions showed the cracks in the foundation of the concept and made the social commentary land less as a result. Given the rest of the show is just kind of an okay slice-of-life, that's a huge mark.

Metallic Rouge: Up till about the end of the 6th episode I loved this as a weird, vibey sci-fi buddy cop show, and it spent every subsequent episode making me like it less and less with badly written plot contrivances making the rising action not land at all. As of the ep 11 the vibes are totally gone and the animation quality is absolutely jacked also - the last ep was pretty bad looking and involved 20 minutes of running around nondescript halls with a lame twist setup. Disappointment.

The first four eps of Sengoku Youko were also a lot of fun and I think that'd slot right between Dungeon Meshi and Tomozaki, if I find time I plan on going back to that.

Southern Cassowary fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 26, 2024

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Only watched a few animes this season:
Dungeon Meshi: Great adaptation of one of the best ever manga. Really looking forward to the 2nd part.
Frieren: It started strong for me, but I dropped it around the tournament arc. Just wasn't interested enough in the magic system. One of those where I can recognise it's a quality show, but it isn't for me. I have all the time in the world for fantasy ecosystems like in Dungeon Meshi, and none for power levels, mana etc.
A Sign of Affection: Gorgeous and sweet.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 25, 2024

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I feel like it might be worth giving frieren another chance when they eventually do the City of Gold arc. That to me is the strongest frieren's ever been and redeemed the weak early demon stuff.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Eh, it also demonstrates some of the series' worst excesses. Like, if you didn't like the earlier parts it won't suddenly make you like it because it's just more of the same, only bigger.

Edit: Unless you had one extremely specific complaint, I suppose.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

City of gold is where the manga lost me so I am going to lol if the anime also manages that

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
High Card Season 2 is over. It resolved the main plotlines while leaving room for another season if they want to do one. Of course they never found Tilt's body, so he's going to turn up alive if they do another season, but presumably actually dead if they don't.

In retrospect, Finn should have just killed Lala. It would have prevented the deaths of Tilt, Burst, and several palace guards. (And Ban and Zenon, I guess.)

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

High Card Season 2 is over. It resolved the main plotlines while leaving room for another season if they want to do one. Of course they never found Tilt's body, so he's going to turn up alive if they do another season, but presumably actually dead if they don't.

In retrospect, Finn should have just killed Lala. It would have prevented the deaths of Tilt, Burst, and several palace guards. (And Ban and Zenon, I guess.)

tbf I wouldn’t have wanted to touch the spooky heart orb either. It looked pretty gross

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

how did yall like high card s2 compared to the first

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Southern Cassowary posted:

how did yall like high card s2 compared to the first

I was a little down on it compared to s1, but there’s some stand out eps to me. I think my main complaint is how they spend a lot of time either within flashbacks or with the gang separated.

The flashbacks do have some good food though, and it spends some more time on Finn and Chris which is the strongest relationship in the show.

The penultimate ep also has some of the highest concentration of excited reaction posting I’ve done with a friend for the whole series lol

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Imo if you liked s1, you’ll find joy in s2

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Erg posted:

Imo if you liked s1, you’ll find joy in s2

i enjoyed it when it was wacky heist hijinks like the cruise ship and everything after the orphanage fire when they tried to add heavy emotional stakes didn't land for me at all. trying to feel out if i wanted to check it out.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Southern Cassowary posted:

i enjoyed it when it was wacky heist hijinks like the cruise ship and everything after the orphanage fire when they tried to add heavy emotional stakes didn't land for me at all. trying to feel out if i wanted to check it out.

lol half of s2 is rooted in that

I think the final payoff is good but it sounds like an easy skip.

If you’re in the mood to watch single eps though I’d say ep 18, HOLD YOUR HAND, is the closest you get to the sillier vibes of s1 imo. It features a road trip with Wendy, instagram girl from s1, and a troubled youth. The villain’s my favorite one that they introduced this season and is the epitome of epic one ep character

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

High Card isn't bad and was an okay watch but also feels like it should of done way more with it's premise too

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Also s2’s op and ed are worse. They’re not bad but there’s no beating Trickstar and Meychan

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Erg posted:

City of gold is where the manga lost me so I am going to lol if the anime also manages that

I thought it was interesting, but dragged on a bit longer than I would have liked. I have the advantage of having started reading the manga as the anime was wrapping up, so I could power ahead through things that were less engaging instead of having to wait for new chapters to be published. I've been enjoying stuff after the City of Gold arc a bit more, especially this latest arc where a couple of my favorite characters have popped up again.

I enjoy the manga, but do think the anime manages to take it to a higher level, not just with some very nice animation, but expanding on what is often rather bland paneling and static character poses in the manga, and also expanding on the background a lot -- the King's Tomb in the manga was very "generic dungeon" feeling for the most part, but the anime's backgrounds really gave it a much more cohesive sense of place that felt like it fit into the world better.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
High Card S2's main plot works better for me because it's Finn centric and ties into the card lore as opposed to S1 just kinda swerving into being about Chris and his sudden sick sister drama.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

(very small) round-up for moi when there wasn't a lot this season that interested me. alas

Completed
Dungeon Meshi (first half at least)
i know it's two-cour stretching into spring, but A. last episode as the halfway mark was a perfect place to i think stop and reflect, and B. i want to be another voice echoing just how stellar it is. i read a couple chapters of the manga and dropped off, but i'm kicking myself for it now given the quality of the anime. even if it seems to lose the initial focus of "fantasy anime, but cooking," i genuinely feel like that's for the better as the worldbuilding and especially the enemy characterizations are allowed to flourish. very impressed by the creative directions taken with what are ostensibly standard fantasy/D&D enemies. i'd also be remiss to not mention how much i love the party and how they all can bicker and butt heads at times but still function as a badass cohesive unit when the chips are down. really want to see what happens going forward after the last two episodes, but i'd bet money on it still keeping me fully invested. between this and Cyberpunk, i'm really hoping Trigger gets handed more pre-existing material to work with since they're knocking it out of the park twice in a row.

'Tis Time for "Torture," Princess
someone posted about the manga once so i decided to check out the anime on a whim, and hell, it definitely has a single general joke. it also does that single general joke extremely well, broadening the scope and the amount of characters pretty comfortably by the end of the season. got quite a few laughs out of me, quite a few "awww" moments, and is overall pretty darn good. obviously isn't anything revolutionary but it was a good comfort food anime and i'm grateful s2 was already announced. have to shout out Pine Jam too, Do It Yourself!! wasn't badly animated (aside from the 3D) but it was definitely a different style than Torture and they nailed it as far as i'm concerned. hype to see future projects from them

Dropped
Metallic Rouge
on one hand i feel kinda bad cuz i was the person hyping it up before it started and the person who made the thread for it, but on the other it seems dipping out early for no real reason other than "i'll catch up tomorrow (repeat weekly)" was the correct play lmao. i liked what i saw of the first three episodes but even then i could see the warning signs of it possibly buckling under its own weight in the future and apparently that gut feeling was right. oh, well

now to quadruple the amount of poo poo i'm checking out, thank you Spring 2024

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah dungeon meshi does a near-unparalleled job of making you forget how actually competent and skilled these morons are when it really matters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

the only thing the anime is lacking is the asides and vignettes. Not sure how you'd do those properly. but gives people reason to also buy the books