Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Dungeon Meshi - Recipe Box of Courage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently another Doremi revival is on its way:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=i3mzMFy3dBg

Edit: Seems like it’s just a promotional video for the 25th anniversary and not an announcement of a new show or movie near as I can tell

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2024-03-25/magical-doremi-anime-25th-anniversary-video-teases-main-leads-now-grown-up/.209112

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 26, 2024

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Larryb posted:

Apparently another Doremi revival is on its way:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=i3mzMFy3dBg

Edit: Seems like it’s just a promotional video for the 25th anniversary and not an announcement of a new show or movie near as I can tell

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2024-03-25/magical-doremi-anime-25th-anniversary-video-teases-main-leads-now-grown-up/.209112

No, in the event it was announced that there will be a new anime project, though the form it will take hasn't been decided yet.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My season wrap up is about the same.

Bravern continues to be over the top fun from week to week, along with having a great sense if humor, some truly excellent mecha animation, and being very, very gay. Here's hoping for one hell of a finale. Best Opening Song of the season hands down. JUST. ONE. TAMASHIIIIIIIIII.

Dungeon Meshi feels like it was tailor made for Trigger's madcap animation style. Every episode feels like a scenario that the author had in a D&D session where they argued a point with their DM that the DM couldn't refute, leading to some genuinely inspired takes on RPG monster mechanics and how they'd apply to a living ecosystem. Also has the best English dub of the season.

Frieren fell off a bit for me with the Mage exam arc but the final test being a clash of perspectives and personal insights rather than a light show rallied it for me. Very good finale, best ending song of the season.

Tis Time For Torture, Princess funniest show of the season which is impressive when they've been playing off of the same joke setup for 12 episodes straight. A good light comedy, sits in the same boat as the Tomo-Chan anime from last year as something I look forward to. Best anime dad of the season and possibly of all time with Hell-Lord.

Metallic Rouge honestly just watching to see where it ends up at this point. Started strong, still feels like a show that fell out of a time portal from 2010, and has been losing steam at an exponential rate as the nonsense piles up. Credit where it is due, the character designs are good, it'll occasionally whip out some shockingly good animation, and the English dub is generally an improvement on the subbed version, mainly carried by Sapphire's excellent turn as Naomi. But it ain't enough to make the show not feel half baked. For a 25th anniversary project doesn't feel like much of a celebration.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fangz posted:

No, in the event it was announced that there will be a new anime project, though the form it will take hasn't been decided yet.

Makes sense, Madoka’s getting a movie this winter and Symphogear is also a getting a movie that may or may not come out this year so it’s only right to do something for Doremi too

Wonder if this one will be an actual sequel, a remake, or something akin to the Looking For Doremi movie

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Doremi 16 and Doremi 20's are existing sequel LNs, so they're using those as basis for w/e form of anime.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

haypliss posted:

Doremi 16 and Doremi 20's are existing sequel LNs, so they're using those as basis for w/e form of anime.

I didn’t even know there were light novels for the series, are they translated (and if so how are they)?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
They are partly fan translated. I haven't really looked at them very carefully, but my vague impression is that some of the lore it adds with respect to how the witch world works feels kind of over-elaborate, but the individual character drama seems quite solid.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
Villainess lv99 done.
not that impressive a final battle, but knew the show was low budget at the start. didn't seem to have any end of season hook for a 2nd season. But if they just end it all here, its pretty much a full enough story for an anime series.

6/10

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Was that an anime original ending, or just a very compressed version of the one from the source material?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

symbolic posted:

Dungeon Meshi (first half at least)
i read a couple chapters of the manga and dropped off, but i'm kicking myself for it now given the quality of the anime.

I knew that after reading a few chapters, there was pretty much a 100% chance of an anime and I’m glad I waited.

Arc Hammer posted:

Dungeon Meshi feels like it was tailor made for Trigger's madcap animation style. Every episode feels like a scenario that the author had in a D&D session where they argued a point with their DM that the DM couldn't refute, leading to some genuinely inspired takes on RPG monster mechanics and how they'd apply to a living ecosystem. Also has the best English dub of the season.

(emphasis mine)

Anyone who hasn’t tried out the english dub may want to give it a shot. It’s honestly pretty good. The first episode is a good representation of the quality of whatever else has been put out so far.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

sb hermit posted:

Anyone who hasn’t tried out the english dub may want to give it a shot. It’s honestly pretty good. The first episode is a good representation of the quality of whatever else has been put out so far.

https://twitter.com/_snow118/status/1770849766487797819

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

sb hermit posted:

https://twitter.com/ProZD/status/1763662388702916723

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

:toot:

:yum:

Exia
Feb 12, 2014

Brutal Garcon posted:

Was that an anime original ending, or just a very compressed version of the one from the source material?

The anime was following the manga version of the story rather than the LNs, and the manga hasn’t gotten as far, but that seemed to be a compressed version of the ending to the first LN and not anything anime original. It does leave a few open hooks to adapt volumes 2+ if they ever do get more seasons

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I still need to catch up on it. And yeah, Emily Rudd kinda took a little bit to grow into the role but she's doing really well.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

My thoughts on this season is that not nearly enough people are watching Bucchigiri. 1001 Nights, but with high school delinquents isn't something I ever knew I wanted before I saw it in action.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Exia posted:

The anime was following the manga version of the story rather than the LNs, and the manga hasn’t gotten as far, but that seemed to be a compressed version of the ending to the first LN and not anything anime original. It does leave a few open hooks to adapt volumes 2+ if they ever do get more seasons
It could be following the web novel instead of either the LN or manga.

That said I read the first LN last year and the ending was pretty close to what I remembered it. I say close because the book didn't leave a big impression.

Both LV99 and Wrong way to use Healing Magic have fun manga but light novels with first volumes that don't really grab you.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
It’s definitely not following the web novel, it’s pretty identical to the manga’s story for the chapters that are out, and you can tell because the manga version of Alicia is much different from how she is in the LN, and the demon lord stuff plays out differently then the LN as well.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

AnoHito posted:

My thoughts on this season is that not nearly enough people are watching Bucchigiri. 1001 Nights, but with high school delinquents isn't something I ever knew I wanted before I saw it in action.

It's super good and super stylish!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i watched dungeon meshi this season and it was very good

i picked up frieren and watch a few episodes of it a week with a friend, we have not gotten to the episodes that would qualify as this season but i do like the show a lot so there's that

braven sounds like a show i would enjoy very much which is why i have a perpetually open tab to remind me that i should watch it that i have continued to ignore

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
Doctor Elise done.
7/10
serviceable medical isekai with some noble politics stuff mixed in.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

ninjewtsu posted:

i watched dungeon meshi this season and it was very good

i picked up frieren and watch a few episodes of it a week with a friend, we have not gotten to the episodes that would qualify as this season but i do like the show a lot so there's that

braven sounds like a show i would enjoy very much which is why i have a perpetually open tab to remind me that i should watch it that i have continued to ignore

You are missing out re Bravern, even if they flub the ending the previous 11 episodes are excellent and an incredible ride.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It feels very peak Metallic Rouge that this episode did something that I think would of been cool or amazing in any other series and i just sorta shrugged and went "Okay...but everything else is just boring"

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

SatoshiMiwa posted:

It feels very peak Metallic Rouge that this episode did something that I think would of been cool or amazing in any other series and i just sorta shrugged and went "Okay...but everything else is just boring"

having watched the ep idk what this could even be

Kwyndig posted:

You are missing out re Bravern, even if they flub the ending the previous 11 episodes are excellent and an incredible ride.

they didn't flub the ending - i think 20 minutes of escalating super robot insanity into a predator-esque handshake is exactly what i wanted from the last ep

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bravern lands as the top show of the season with ease.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
Wish Bravern was a bit more hot blooded

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Southern Cassowary posted:

having watched the ep idk what this could even be

Naomi sharing her ID with Rouge so she could keep fighting in theory is very much cool to me and should of been a great emotional moment but it just happened

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Naomi sharing her ID with Rouge so she could keep fighting in theory is very much cool to me and should of been a great emotional moment but it just happened

the only thing that stuck out about that was another random appearance of "animation becomes insanely smooth for 10 seconds again" but yeah you're absolutely right. it's a perfect indicator of why metallic rouge kinda sucks

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

gently caress

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

dungeon meshi ep was good good good

frieren ep (last week) was good good good

apothecary diaries was quite nice

but bravern is gonna be really tough to beat this season, if not this year

this has been a good winter

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011
This was a pretty great season of anime.

Finished

I really enjoyed Bravern, but I think overall I preferred Frieren. Bravern really was just over the top all the way through, which is fun, but Frieren going from a more subdued or menalcholy mood to its big or comedic moments hit really well. I don't have Netflix, so I can't comment on Dungeon Meshi, but it probably would be a top anime for me, it is a top 10 Manga for me.

Undead Unluck was really good aside from the pacing issue, which gave us a frustrating amount of flash backs in the later episodes. Still really good and worth a watch if you have Hulu, just be ready with the fast forward. The characters are fun and the powers and fighting was well done. It does start a little slow though.

Lv99 Villainess was also pretty fun, but a little forgettable near the end. The bad cgi dragon hurt, I wish they had figured something else out for it, it felt like a play station 2 character. It also suffers from basically being 1 joke, but I liked that they didn't turn the original heroine/love interests into pure villains.

Mr Villains Day Off also suffered from being 1 joke, but it was a cute take on the concept. Similar to Love After World Domination, just without the romance aspect. I wish we got a little more about the character's motivations, it was kind of weird how the main villain was willing to help people and be a nice guy during his off hours, while plotting mass genocide at work.

Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic was probably one of the weaker shows I watched, but still a pretty fun Isekai. None of the characters are over powered or have a dumb cheat skill, and the main character has to effectively go through a hellish boot camp to be strong enough to be effective. I also liked that it avoided having people look down on the main character for having weak magic or such. Just skip the 2 flashback episodes, they kill the pacing dead, I have no idea why they made that snooze fest 2 whole episodes.

Mashle continues to be fantastic, just a fun goofy time at not Hogwarts where everyone other than the main character try to take the plot seriously, and Mash just drops punchlines.

Didn't Finish

Sasaki and Peeps I might eventually try and go back and finish this, but I got bored around episode 5. I just don't care about otherworld politics or merchanting.

Overall, I think Frieren is my top show this season, but I enjoyed all the rest of these that I finished. This was a solid season.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Enough said already: Dungeon Meshi, Apothecary Diaries, Frieren, It's Time for Torture

Completed:
Undead Unluck - Caught up to this just before the anime ended and it's a battle shonen with really weird and interesting ideas. There's lots of talk in the thread about the world and the crazy implications it actually follows through on. The series was good enough that I immediately jumped into the manga afterwards and I'm sure, like any Jump series with a following, it'll keep getting seasons until it ends.
High Card S2 - I can't say this wasn't what I expected from the series, though I will agree that I would've liked more hijinks episodes.
Mashle S2 - This is exactly what I expected however and it's perfect.
Mofumofu - An isekai I had not read before so I was certainly more invested in it compared to others I'll talk about later. Very cute and silly though probably not actually the best of the fantasy/isekai series of the season besides the ones above this
Shin no Nakama S2 - I'd say it's still worth following, even as it shifts (and gazes a bit too much) to Ruti who was less of a character in S1. It has a lot of the fantasy SoL that I think I prefer with pepperings of action and lore. The best character remains the spider though.

Dropped:
Gekkan Mousou Kagaku - Tried two episodes and just didn't catch me as I wasn't at all sure what direction the show was really going
Hokkaido Girls - Tried the first episode and it didn't seem like it was doing much with the manga and I just didn't feel like sitting through a romcom to see if that was true.
Tale of Wedding Rings - Did a full three ep test and it's a recurring thing with all of the isekai I watched in that I know the plot from scanalations and the series doesn't seem to be doing anything particularly interesting. In this one, they're also doing that weird color filter thing and it just makes me like it less.
Kyuujitsu no Warumono-san - Got pretty far into this before I gave up on it. Unlike It's Time for Torture which also kinda has the same jokes, that series approached them with more energy and had a larger cast to carry things. This one took things way too slow with its cast (like introducing the members of the sentai team they fight and all of their dynamics which are interesting).
Mato Seihei no Slave - Got to ep 2 and another one that needed to do more than just offer up animated T&A that was already in the manga
Weakest Tamer - Got to ep 3 or 4 and as above, though I can say it did look good and heartfelt and skipped a bunch of the prologue to jump immediately into fantasy adventures. I'd definitely recommend this even if I didn't finish this.
Undead Adventurer - Got to ep 2. Again, nothing seemed to be new when compared to the manga, but still an interesting series.
Labyrinth Tank - Only did 1 episode and I kinda realized that I really only followed this series on inertia and nothing it focuses on is all that special.
Pon no Michi - Got through 4 or 5 episodes. It's such a confused series. Ostensibly, it's trying to hit the same sort of audience that enjoys the Saki series, but with the balance more towards SoL than mahjong. One of the problems, though, is that the characters are a bit empty. There's nothing happening that really seems to engender that "moe" feeling that gets people into SoL series. There's no clear hook. And because it's more focusing on that side, it slacks on the Mahjong side. The characters themselves are designed interestingly enough, but they do nothing with them.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
Weakest Tamer Picks Up Trash done
7/10
Despite the first episode or two, wasn't riddled with suffering and sadness, but just hope and happiness.
Honestly could use a bit more despair imo. end of season arc went on a bit too much. The soft isekai approach was neat. Ivy is her own person, just has a voice in her head who was her past life with modern japanese common sense, I assume the original source has a lot more in-head commentary than the anime shows, which just seems the only needed plot stuff.

Seems that the village she's from is just a bunch of assholes, no one else seems to care as much as to hunt down this 9 year old kid to death for being starless.

Like that she counts money in the form how many rabbits she would have to hunt. '1 gold coin is 200 rabbits!'

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/AniNewsAndFacts/status/1773926925947511273?t=bJyjElGc95sjPPmDETq2-Q&s=19

Quelle surprise.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Sounds like a good time for the Spring Thread to go up then.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4057463

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Perfect timing, I just went over my feelings for the Winter.

Tried and dropped

Delusional Monthly Magazine - Every so often I try something that just looks out of the ordinary compared to the rest of the season's fare. Sometimes it pays off (Oddtaxi, Akiba Maid War), and sometimes it's like this. An interesting premise, but that's all it has going for it. The characters are annoying, the story is trite, the animation feels perfunctory, and after a half dozen episodes I had to move on.

Hokkaido Gals Are Super Adorable! - This is a perfectly by-the-numbers romance with the distinguishing detail being the whole thing takes place in Hokkaido in Winter. If you like rom-coms, you could do worse. If you don't, you won't be missing anything.

Mr. Villain's Day Off, Pon no Michi, 'Tis Time for "Torture," Princess - All three got too repetitive for me before the first episode was over.

Continuing into Spring 2024

Delicious in Dungeon - Marcille is my second favorite elf in animation (third place is Herbie the Dentist from Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer), and everyone's gay for Senshi. Or at least, that's what TRIGGER thinks with all those pantsu shots of the guy. The story's taken an interesting turn here at the midpoint of the season, but the eats are still just as tasty. TRIGGER is doing a marvelous job adapting the series and I'm here for all of it.

Urusei Yatsura - The old ways are still the best, and you can't get much older in anime than a Takahashi rom-com. I like that David Productions is skipping over all the gristle and just giving us the good stuff.

Completed

Fluffy Paradise - Harmless fluff ( :holy: ) that is unlikely to see a season two. Breezy & forgetable, it didn't make me want to turn it off so I give it a 6.

Sasaki and Peeps - I'm as confused by this series as Serie was with Methode, but much like those two, I giving it passing marks. Maybe season 2 will be less confusing?

The Weakest Tamer Began a Journey to Pick Up Trash - More harmless fluff, and much like the other fluff, it gets a 6.

The Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic - This was my surprise of the season, even if the surprise was mild. Came into it expecting Yet Another Goddamned Isekai, but was entertained by the characterization of the protagonist and his friends to their situation. And the way the story has developed has kept me interested enough that I hope more seasons get greenlit.

Shangri-La Frontier - The best video-game focused anime EVAR, with my second favorite opening of the season. (First is the opening to MASHLE season two. Not a fan of the show but by god does "Bling-Bang-Bang-Born" make you want to get up and eat creampuffs.) I've said this a lot, but it's true: This show is junk food. High quality junk food. A Five Guys burger with all the fixings, chili-cheese fries, and a chocolate malt from the Coldstone Creamery next door. Or a pizza you get from that hole-in-the-wall place in town that makes all the chains look and taste like cardboard. Absolutely delicious, uttterly empty calories, and I so dearly hope that it gets more seasons.

The Apothecary Diaries - Speaking of more seasons, the immediate announcement of a second one of this show had me jumping for joy. Maomao is a delightful little gremlin, and her adventures are equal parts hilarious and heartbreaking. The way her and Jinshi bounce off one another was a joy to behold. The animation is wonderful, Aoi Yuki hits it out of the park once more with a stellar performance, and more Kevin Penkin music is always appreciated.

And then there's...

Frieren - I do not have sufficient words to say how magnificent this series is, so I'll tell you why it struck me particularly hard. My father died in July 2020 of old age. My mother, who'd been fighting cancer for almost a decade, decided it was time to go and followed him in April 2021. Losing them both is the space of less than a year threw me completely out of whack for months. What helped bring me out of it was this manga I learned of from a video by Gigguk, a story of loss and how one copes with it, of moving on, making new connections, keeping the good memories, and learning about yourself. Then the team at Madhouse took an already fantastic story and turned it into an all-time classic fantasy. I've been watching anime since the original "Astro Boy," and while this is my personal opinion, I can honestly say this isn't just my favorite series on the season, or of the year. It's my favorite series ever.

So yeah, it's been a good season. I've made my picks for Spring and will post them in that thread when it's ready. Which would be right now.

Doodles fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 30, 2024

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
Solo leveling ep12 done
finally the tutorial is done

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Doodles posted:

Frieren - I do not have sufficient words to say how magnificent this series is, so I'll tell you why it struck me particularly hard. My father died in July 2020 of old age. My mother, who'd been fighting cancer for almost a decade, decided it was time to go and followed him in April 2021. Losing them both is the space of less than a year threw me completely out of whack for months. What helped bring me out of it was this manga I learned of from a video by Gigguk, a story of loss and how one copes with it, of moving on, making new connections, keeping the good memories, and learning about yourself. Then the team at Madhouse took an already fantastic story and turned it into an all-time classic fantasy. I've been watching anime since the original "Astro Boy," and while this is my personal opinion, I can honestly say this isn't just my favorite series on the season, or of the year. It's my favorite series ever.

I am sorry for your loss.

I really liked that wistful, bittersweet aspect of Frieren as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Doodles posted:

Shangri-La Frontier - The best video-game focused anime EVAR, with my second favorite opening of the season. (First is the opening to MASHLE season two. Not a fan of the show but by god does "Bling-Bang-Bang-Born" make you want to get up and eat creampuffs.) I've said this a lot, but it's true: This show is junk food. High quality junk food. A Five Guys burger with all the fixings, chili-cheese fries, and a chocolate malt from the Coldstone Creamery next door. Or a pizza you get from that hole-in-the-wall place in town that makes all the chains look and taste like cardboard. Absolutely delicious, uttterly empty calories, and I so dearly hope that it gets more seasons.

Season 2 is confirmed for October, so you've got your wish.

That being said, I don't know that I'd necessarily call it junk food. It wants to be a fun show about idiots exploring a cool video games, and it nails that concept. And really I think more works could stand to do that instead of spreading themselves too thin or aiming for depth yet constantly stumbling.