Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I favor the villainess starts out like a typical Isekai set-up but the final volume flips it on it's head in a rather unique way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Isekai really isn't the problem it's that we have some stuff being written animated that really none of it would be good. Like if this surge of content happened when Eva hit it big we had have a glut of bad Eva chase shows

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

The post-Madoka 'dark magical girl' trend was mostly pretty dire, even if GRANBELM was quite fun.

The effect of post Madoka shows on magical girls is really overblown though. Yeah most are bad but they didn't really overwhelm the market like say Eva chase show did for awhile or SAO/Isekai chase shows. And hell you still had the yearly Precure shows, the Pretty Rhythm series for kids shows and for late night you had Symphogear shortly after which is more Nanoha/Pretty Cure mixed with Kamen Rider and Macross. Heck for being such an important show it's kinda of staggering how little volume of chase Madoka got compared to Eva/K-on/SAO...

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Motto posted:

the dark magical girl thing is different from complaining about WN/LN trends since it was never about volume, but the online idea that madoka had singlehandedly corrupted magical girls and stolen it from its original audience, so any time something pegged as a "dark magical girl show" came around you'd have people lamenting what the concept had become, forever

Waffleman_ posted:

Person who refuses to watch Precure because it's a kids anime voice: Goddamn Madoka stole the magical girls from the kids...

It's even more funny cause your also ignoring Symphogear which is very much not Madoka!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's just HiDive/Sentai going back to their old ADV roots to be honest

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It feels like the more interesting and unique show for Doctor Elise would be having her in the modern world being a Doctor but we'll see if doing the rare double Isekai can be an interesting story or if it's just overly complicating something that should be a time slip

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Bang Bravern episode 1 was the best 1 episode of the season so far. Going 2/3rds real robots only to go full super robots was an inspired choice and I'm shocked we haven't seen more shows try it. Also it's got the Obari touch while avoiding the excess that dragged down his original 2000's robots shows

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Keith Courage in Alpha Zone Returns!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzFd_XudeE4&t=33s

A Wataru anime in 2024...wild

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I think Virus Buster Serge which isn't good but is interesting

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Obari's 90 work includes a lot of weird stuff like Virus Buster, Gowcaizer, Dangaizer 3 and Voogies Angel which while not really good its all visually interesting

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah and it worked for his Toshinden and Fatal Fury anime. Heck SNK should of just had him do all their anime, would of made Art of Fighting and Samurai Showdown way better

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'm kinda of sad Obari has moved on from that character design style even if I know it wouldn't work for Bang Brave

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's first cour ran against Buddy daddies which does the concept of balancing serious/funny/silly way better and has a way better pay off

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Hope it's something new and not a recap to bridge between a new series. Not that I'd mind that I just want new stories

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/SugoiLITE/status/1748706125183390166

This was a pretty decent OAV that quickly got forgotten cause Birdie Wing came out soon afterwards.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Even if you don't go as crazy as Birdie Wing you can use a lot of trick they use for Baseball anime to make it exciting along with having more personal conflict since it's 1 person vs many

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The Madlax cinematic universe isn't a real thing but the writer of Birdie Wing loves reusing the same country so it's a very funny meme

So no, Birdie Wing doesn't take place in an established universe despite it having Char and Amuro

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I think 7th time loop is more fun and a better show but level 99 is fun and is being carried by a great Seiyuu and good timing on the faces

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The Mage exam arc in Frieren feels like the the typical battle tournament in shounen manga in setup and pacing and while it's okay it's also not what got me into the series

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Anime is beyond Ritz now that she is fully unchained

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Im on holidays now so with my free time I decided to check out at least one more new show.

The instant death isekai show.. isnt terrible? Like, its got one gimmick, but they somehow just run with the absurdity of it all instead of trying to overexplain or play it down. And it kind of works. Probably helps that the MC is a total doofus in the vein of Kazuma from Konosuba. Not exactly a season stealing show or anything, but its good enough Ill probably finish it.

The show knows it's a trashy set up and leans into it which makes it fun watch

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Lamo Rishe's lecture on how to keep a prisoner and Arnold knowing she'd escape was funny

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

If one was about getting reincarnated as a tank with treads and a gun in a medieval setting it could be fun.

Reincarnated as Tank but it's as an Anzio tank in GuP

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I don't hate Rouge but I very much get the feeling it's gonna fall apart for me like every other modern Bones original has.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I dunno I don't think we need Captain Earth part 2

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I like how Yurucamp/Laid back camp manga does translation notes which is at the end of the volume. It's a good place to give a deeper explanation without slowing the pace of the manga itself

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Metallic Rouge you maybe shouldn't be trying to run 3-4 Kamen Rider plots in one 13 episode series

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I too am shocked that a hyped Bones original is turning into an incomprehensible mess. Who could of seen this coming (shoves Captain Earth and Carole and Tuesday away)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Thing is I love their adaptations (Mob Psycho was great, loved Show by the Rock...My Hero...well...1st season was good and than I fell off) but man their track record on original shows is just not good overall *eyes Eureka 7*

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'd say Godzilla SP is more an adaptation than an original even if it's wildly different than the source.

While I don't think Rouge is gonna live up to the hype I'd probably be more kind if we get Rouge/Naomi back working together pretty quickly. I like their chemistry and if the show keeps them apart till the end than you better bet I'm gonna focus on the flaws it has more

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Peak Mao faces and Aoi Yuki went ham this week in Apothecary Diaries

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I think it varies by show but Crunchy will have .5 episodes for series if they get them

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I don't think Metallic Rouge which pull together to be a good show but I do feel safe in saying it won't be boring nor as convoluted as Captain Earth

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Lamo Metal Rouge just can't stop cramming multiple Kamen Rider plots into 1 episode huh

I'll take back comparing it to Captain Earth as the stuff is fun but man if they just picked a couple to focus on it'd be really good show instead of something that is entertaining but a mess

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The alien stuff was dumb but it was like a whole cour of Kamen Rider plot in half an episode that it became fun in the end

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Golf does have (or did) have some popularity though in Japan

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Bravern has been very good at making sure that it's bs makes sense and adds to the show. Rouge's BS just feels like stuff being flung at the wall and they hope it sticks

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I still find Frieren a decent watch but the current arc does show the weaknesses of the manga/anime. It just isn't pace it's Shonen battle arcs well and thus it starts to drag and makes me wish we'd get back to the travel stuff quicker

It's good but but definitely a few steps behind the best of the season for me (which is Bravern, Delicious in Dungeon and Apothecary)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Endorph posted:

imo frieren would work much better if after the intro arc the pov character was fern and then you could just show frieren staring off into space sometimes and only get snippets of what shes reminiscing on

at this point himmel has more screentime than 90% of the cast, its kind of hard to evoke that sense of nostalgia and melancholy when he wont go away. and it undermines frierens character when shes pining over the past like a human would even though the whole point is her age has distorted her view of memories and the passage of time.

I didn't mind the himmel stuff till the most recent manga arc and than I was like yeah nope, we're flashing back to much. Fern is much more interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's not good per say and it's not gonna be anime of the year the way the hype played it up but its better than Captain Earth and Carole and Tuesday and its watchable so I'll finish it

But boy howdy what a drop off from the hype