Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Person who refuses to watch Precure because it's a kids anime voice: Goddamn Madoka stole the magical girls from the kids...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

90% of the time when people describe what they think sailor moon is theyre actually describing yes pretty cure 5

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

also talking about the mecha genre purely in terms of "eva likes" kinda springs from a weird bit of ignoring that like. eva wasnt the only hugely popular and influential mecha anime of that year. nadesico was roughly as popular it just didn't have a tight enough creative grasp around itself for future works to maintain that presence, prince of darkness did not really end up being its end of evangelion
the thing is even before eva the mecha and sci-fi genres were already trending towards more introspective. in the first half of the 90s, before eva, we got stuff like victory gundam and tekkaman blade. and stuff like nadesico and gundam wing was contemporary with eva. eva didnt really change the game, it was honestly more influential for accelerating the rise of characters as marketing (see: asuka and rei plastered on everything) than for its narrative beats. those were obviously influential too, and there's definitely stuff that pays direct homage to it, but japanese sci-fi in general was going in that direction in the late 80s and 90s. look at like, kamen rider black.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yVWurrghSw

the economic bubble burst in 92. japanese pop culture output in general became a lot more experimental and darker as a bunch of low budget stuff gets thrown together intead of resources being poured into big blockbusters. thats also why you got so many weird OVAs that were like 3-4 episodes. eva's a reflection of the era it was made in. it set trends in a lot of ways but it wasnt the first or only thing to go in the directions it did.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like ff7 was in development before eva aired

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

the real big pusher towards mecha getting psychedelic and more introspective was takeshi shudo
for real goshogun the time etranger was huge

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a duck bearing a green onion is an old japanese saying in general, farfetch'd is just a reference to it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

KariOhki posted:

https://twitter.com/bang_dream_info/status/1743595804932407353
Ave Mujica anime coming January 2025. People are swearing this is a delay but from everything I dug up there was never a date until now. I feel like a lot of the MyGO hype (especially for English fans of the anime who won't touch the game) will be dead by this point but maybe it'll just draw those people back when it starts.
eh, mygo's fanbase seems relatively 'sticky.' i cant see it just not existing in a year.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also its not that long. a year and a half between seasons of an anime is relatively normal.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ive read a fair bit of the manga, its sweet. i like that the main girl is allowed to do standard shoujo heroine things like being goofily jealous instead of just being sweet deaf girl

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mons Hubris posted:

Sign of Affection guy is weird lookin and wears a hackey sack stoner guy scarf imo
yea thats the kind of guy college girls are into

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

OnimaruXLR posted:

No offense meant to fans of the comic, but does it ever stop being the same handful of jokes about misadventures in elf weight control?
its also horny art of chubby elves. personally, i support the artist who is horny for fat ladies, but i will not be watching

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1744649210866102338

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i feel like every season some isekai airs that the same 3 goons are like 'yooo this ones Different' and then people watch it and go 'this is a generic isekai' and then it repeats

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the idea of fairly realistic military mechs teaming up with a super robot to fight aliens(?) is a fun one honestly

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bang bravern has cygames money behind it so im sure itll get picked up by someone

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dungeon meshi gets an actual plot and stakes and like, thematics, pretty quickly, its not just Here's Food Wow Food the whole time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

metallic rouge was fun. its a bit Bones Original but im glad they still make those

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my favorite obari lore is that he literally left home at 18 saying he wouldnt come back until he was a famous artist

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the head patting is a bit weird but he seems like the kind of guy whos just like that in general. he ties it into her deafness a bit but he also seems like the kinda guy whos sort of forward and acts without really thinking, its an illustration that he isnt really treating her differently.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

shes a college girl who was sheltered up until getting to college thats the most humanistic writing ive ever seen

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dated a deaf girl once and we broke up cause she got really mad about how bleach ended. will sign of affection cover this.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sleng Teng posted:

I don’t know but i hope so. What were the complaints btw
ichigo/rukia should have been canon

she was right to be clear

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fangz posted:

Oh so it was your fault how bleach ended

yes im kubo tite

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bravern is so loving good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Maera Sior posted:

I'm not sure I would have caught that while watching, but we can get it locally. Now we clearly need to check out the show.
check out the show with one in hand at that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lol at all the jp tweets that go 'ive had this and it goes well with an american-sized burger'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

I've never finished Bleach, how did it end?
orihime and ichigo get together, as do rukia and renji.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

every shonen that ends with a list of straight marriages is boring and im sure mha is gonna end with loving froppy and the animal talking guy married or something

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arist posted:

There's a lot of shonen out there so it would probably take a minute to answer that well
well negima had a lesbian marriage in there

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sharkmafia posted:

Bulma is kind of an outlier; there are a lot of female characters in dragon ball that get way less interesting after they get married. videl and android 18 for example
18 honestly gets fun material in the buu arc, the buu arc just sidelines 90% of the cast after it decides it doesnt want protag gohan. her blackmailing hercule is hilarious

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dbz's structure is still a rambling adventure where things mostly happen because, compared to modern battle shonen where there's at least the pretense of a plot structure.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its kind of the same arc as kinnikuman had, just a bit less inherently goofy in the later stuff

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think the orihime/ichigo stuff in early bleach actually works pretty well but orihime gets sidelined for so much of the series that by the end it falls pretty flat. this applies to many things in bleach

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it is but bleach has it especially bad

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Like at least in dbz most of the cast has some kind of sendoff to their continued relevance, tien gets his stand against cell, roshi gets a big speech about making way for the next generation in og dragon ball, etc. Even puar at least gets to cry about yamcha getting blown up. The only character id say gets completely discarded with no attempt at a payoff is launch. Bleach has like 50 launches.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theres burn the witch, technically

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and some novels by the baccano guy but ive heard those are actually decent

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mycot posted:

The main thing that makes Dragonball's treatment of its cast feel different than most shonen is that characters never ever get written off entirely but it doesn't bother to pretend that the peanut gallery is still relevant either. My personal favorite example is how Oolong is arguably the third main character of early Dragonball, is never remotely important again, but still has lines as late as Battle of Gods. With a lot of shonen it's kind of like if they gave Oolong a fight in Z.
the thing about dbz also is that it really doesnt give its villains like, Squads of Named Henchmen for each of the weaker members to fight. theres like 1-3 guys that matter and goku or vegeta kill all of them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think hes honestly very good at certain aspects of storytelling, bleach just got away from him hard until he seemed to mostly check out. even the later arcs have their moments though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I read all of Bleach over the course of like 2 weeks last year and all at once you can really see how not great it is a whole. Shame, really.

theres good ideas and bits in there like i said but you can really tell the massive gap between the stuff kubo cares about and the stuff he doesnt and so much of the series feels like it exists because of obligation