Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011
Just wanted to post my thoughts on the ones here that I read.

Recommends

30-sai made Doutei dato Mahoutsukai ni Nareru Rashii (Cherry Magic! Thirty Years of Virginity Can Make You a Wizard?!)
I thought this was cute, middle aged men have a gay romance. If you are a fan of BL, this is a fluffy one, not much in the way of angst or worries about society.

Chiyu Mahou no Machigatta Tsukaikata (The Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic)
This is isekai, but I think it is one of the better ones. The main character is summoned by accident along with the 2 heroes, but rather than being mopey or such, he ends up working his rear end off to support the heroes. Nothing ground breaking, but it has fun characters and is a pretty upbeat series, and the main character is not super overpowered, so other characters actually matter and do things. Overall a fun series that doesn't have stat screens or level ups or other obnoxious video game stuff in its fantasy world.

Dungeon Meshi (Delicious in Dungeon)
Everyone has already said it, but don't sleep on this. Dungeon Meshi is a great, character focused fantasy series that is not an isekai, it is very good.

Kyuujitsu no Warumono-san (Mr. Villain's Day Off)
Cute slice of life series about the villain from a power rangers series refusing to work on his day off, while enjoying going to the zoo to see Pandas. This series basically has 2 jokes, the main character is dark and serious but likes cute things, and he will not work on his day off, but it makes it pretty fun. Other villains and the not-power rangers show up and also have fun quirks. A silly series that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Mashle 2nd Season
Mashle is great, go watch season one and then watch this. A very silly series about superman going to anime Hogwarts.

Sasaki to Pii-chan (Sasaki and Peeps)
This is an interesting isekai. Middle aged main character is able to go back and forth between our world and isekai land, with the goal to make money so him and his pet bird can eat good food. Peeps is also very cute. Also doesn't focus on spreading Japanese food/culture to isekai world, which is a nice change of pace from a lot of these types of series.

Also, Undead Unluck and Frieren are both great, check these out if you haven't yet.

Not Recommended
Saijaku Tamer wa Gomi Hiroi no Tabi wo Hajimemashita. (The Weakest Tamer Began a Journey to Pick Up Trash)
Not really a big fan of this, just kind of boring. Not much really happens, and it is kind of silly how many potions and magic bags the main character picks up in garbage dumps.

Mato Seihei no Slave (Chained Soldier)
Not sure how much I can recommend this, I like the action stuff and monsters, but it is super horny, and kind of gross at times. At least when reading it those parts are easy to skip. Probably going to be too uncomfortable to watch.

Ore dake Level Up na Ken (Solo Leveling)
Solo-leveling is about portals filled with monsters showing up around the world, while humans called hunters gain various powers to deal with it. It is the Korean version of isekai. The main character gains video game level up powers and pretty quickly becomes an overpowered death machine that can solo dungeons. The main appeal of this was the art for me, so this might be worth it if the animation is good, but the story and characters are pretty boring and generic.

Sokushi Cheat ga Saikyou sugite, Isekai no Yatsura ga Marude Aite ni Naranai n desu ga. (My Instant Death Ability is So Overpowered, No One in This Other World Stands a Chance Against Me!)
Not sure how to feel about this one. It is interesting as an isekai, since it is almost a parody of one, with various generic isekai villains and protagonists showing up. The problem is the main character has one punch man levels of power, but there are no interesting side characters since he murders them all aside from the required love interest girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011
I'm hopeful for Mission: Yozakura Family. I have been enjoying the manga of it, basically a normal high school student ends up as part of a family of anime spies, and hijinks ensue. Mostly standard shonen, but I think the family aspect and spy stuff work well with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4ld49lXSRY

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

The only power rangers anime I'm looking forward to is whenever Red Ranger Isekai gets adapted

I thought I was the only one reading that goofy rear end series. I would love to see a good adaptation of it, the random explosions and speeches about the power of bonds would be great. That and Yakuza Reincarnation are my mildly obscure manga I want to see an anime for.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011
This was a pretty great season of anime.

Finished

I really enjoyed Bravern, but I think overall I preferred Frieren. Bravern really was just over the top all the way through, which is fun, but Frieren going from a more subdued or menalcholy mood to its big or comedic moments hit really well. I don't have Netflix, so I can't comment on Dungeon Meshi, but it probably would be a top anime for me, it is a top 10 Manga for me.

Undead Unluck was really good aside from the pacing issue, which gave us a frustrating amount of flash backs in the later episodes. Still really good and worth a watch if you have Hulu, just be ready with the fast forward. The characters are fun and the powers and fighting was well done. It does start a little slow though.

Lv99 Villainess was also pretty fun, but a little forgettable near the end. The bad cgi dragon hurt, I wish they had figured something else out for it, it felt like a play station 2 character. It also suffers from basically being 1 joke, but I liked that they didn't turn the original heroine/love interests into pure villains.

Mr Villains Day Off also suffered from being 1 joke, but it was a cute take on the concept. Similar to Love After World Domination, just without the romance aspect. I wish we got a little more about the character's motivations, it was kind of weird how the main villain was willing to help people and be a nice guy during his off hours, while plotting mass genocide at work.

Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic was probably one of the weaker shows I watched, but still a pretty fun Isekai. None of the characters are over powered or have a dumb cheat skill, and the main character has to effectively go through a hellish boot camp to be strong enough to be effective. I also liked that it avoided having people look down on the main character for having weak magic or such. Just skip the 2 flashback episodes, they kill the pacing dead, I have no idea why they made that snooze fest 2 whole episodes.

Mashle continues to be fantastic, just a fun goofy time at not Hogwarts where everyone other than the main character try to take the plot seriously, and Mash just drops punchlines.

Didn't Finish

Sasaki and Peeps I might eventually try and go back and finish this, but I got bored around episode 5. I just don't care about otherworld politics or merchanting.

Overall, I think Frieren is my top show this season, but I enjoyed all the rest of these that I finished. This was a solid season.