Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Not a lot that interests me this season. Dungeon Meshi definitely, the mahjong parlor show and the princess torture show maybe, and continuing Frieren and Apothocary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Eh no big loss, it's extremely mediocre.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Xelkelvos posted:

It's low level mahjong related antics

I quite enjoyed the bits where they actually play mahjong, it's just that that's been like, 10% of the show so far, and the other 90% is an extremely generic and unfunny slice of life show. Proportionally speaking it's a cooking show more than it's a mahjong show at this point.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

This looks good, I guess my list so far is this and YuruCamp.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Southern Cassowary posted:

honestly this season whips rear end. frieren, apothecary diaries, bravern, dungeon meshi, and a sign of affection are all absolutely fantastic

this is pretty much my watchlist, plus torture princess and tomozaki-kun

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

i love tomozaki but i also think it's kind of mid, if that makes sense

this season in particular has been laborious on occasion. the episode with the multiple rewritten plot synopses of the fantasy story was painful, and some of the stuff in the tama/erika plot could have definitely been cut down. it's only kind of okay looking, and although the premise and writing are interesting, the plotting is usually pretty straightforward.

but tomozaki, at its core, is using this kind of standard slice-of-life setup to try to say interesting things about social dynamics and how to be an interesting person, and it actually gets there. there have been a couple of plotlines or discussions in this season of tomozaki that have made me think about myself and how i interact with the world. that's loving cool.

Yeah, agreed on all counts. It doesn't look amazing, it's not particularly funny, and the more ambitious plotlines of the second season have really shined a spotlight on the author's weaknesses, but it's still disarmingly sincere and well-observed.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

the inspiring music swell into showing twitter on a phone that just happened in tomozaki is the most cursed thing i've ever seen in an anime

and then immediately suggesting she go meet up with twitter randos in real life, come on dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Post-season roundup, some good stuff this season!

Frieren: Great, definitely an AotY contender. It's a testament to the quality of the writing and directing that it managed to keep me engaged throughout what was essentially a cour-long tournament arc.

Dungeon Meshi: Another AotY contender. Extremely well-made adaptation of a great manga. Looking forward to the second cour, if I remember correctly this is where the narrative really kicks off in the manga.

Bravern: Rules, if it nails the landing that's three AotY entries from one season. Does a great job of balancing the extremely silly (and extremely gay) premise with genuine drama, and consistently manages to surprise.

Torture Princess: Not exactly beating the "one joke" allegations, but it's a good joke, and animation, voice acting, and comedic pacing are all great. Consistently amusing as a zero-stakes comedy show. Catchiest OP of the season.

Tomozaki-kun: I checked out the first season on a whim back in January, and then immediately went into season two. It's good, but not amazing. At its best, it's an okay-looking slice of life show with surprisingly sincere and well-meant observations about social dynamics and self-improvement, and with some interesting character writing. The second season focuses more on longer story arcs, however, and these seem to be the author's weak point; while the shorter plots of the first season were generally fine, the more ambitious arcs suffer from poor structure, inconsistent pacing, and a disappointing lack of development for certain characters.

Apothecary: I've cooled on this somewhat in the second cour. It still looks great, and Aoi Yuki does a good job as always, but structure-wise I preferred the more self-contained episodes of the first half. The second cour introduces more intrigue and longer story arcs, yet they never feel like they are working towards something. Every arc is still essentially self-contained, nobody seems to be working towards any specific long-term goals, and there is little in the way of character development (in particular, and most disappointingly, for Jinshi). It misses some of the narrative tightness and snappy pacing of the first cour, and the mysteries aren't as interesting or well-constructed. Still a solid 8 out of 10 show, but I kind of wanted it to be more than what it was.

Yubisaki: Cute and fun. Not amazing narrative-wise, but a nice comfort watch.

Dropped:

Metallic Rouge: Kind of a mess in terms of pacing, and AI as a plot element just doesn't do much for me in general. Dropped after five episodes.

Pon no Michi: A slife about mahjong should be right up my alley, but this was ugly, unfunny, and barely about mahjong most of the time.