Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Hiroko Utsumi has directed multiple other shows outside KyoAni that you could already watch and make whatever this strange-sounding judgement is. SK8 was even an original series rather than an adaptation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Larryb posted:

So are there any good modern isekai shows out there while we’re on the subject? They seem to be churning out a lot of them as of late

Yes

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Feel like a lot of past trends just don't really measure up in the face of isekai/naroukei having that huge amateur author pool they're drawing from.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

genericnick posted:

Actually what are examples of EVA likes? I remember RahXephon, but otherwise kind of drawing blanks.

Argento Soma, Melody of Oblivion, and definitely not Brain Powerd

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Liveries must be taken because posting just one example isn't enough

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Hidive definitely has a tendency to pick up the pervy stuff, it's like that and really old anime that I generally associate them with.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
PV was giving mid tourism anime vibes so I've already moved on.

🚶

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Surprisingly pleasant premiere for Wrong Way to Heal. Mostly checking this out on concept, but having a protagonist trio rather than singular MC adds a lot to the setup. Everyone gets a decent character beat prior to the summoning, but their reactions to that are the real highlight. With three characters, you get as many reactions: Suzune's thrilled acceptance, Usato humbly going with the flow, and Kazuki's anger at being ripped from his old life (plus a protective instinct to extend that over his two schoolmates). Usato and Suzune being roughly on the same page of genre-savviness while Kazuki is left out is another fun wrinkle to their dynamic.

The magic appraisal was also a good bit. Kazuki's rare magic gets congratulated in a way that balances Usato's similarly-rare healing, even before they twist that with everyone's reaction to healing being fear that they and Usato will have to deal with more of their head medic's eccentricity. Of course I can tell it's Usato's show and the trio won't always stay intact, so I'm keeping some healthy skepticism, but with a solid start I'd like to think the show can keep it up in some way.

haypliss fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 6, 2024

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Furnaceface posted:

Too windy in central Ontario for an umbrella, especially in winter.

Mashle S2 has a new OP and its not nearly as good. Good episode though, cant wait for more hijinks from that group of dummies.

Had to go look at the S1 OP but I definitely don't see it. S2 is way more fun and stylish.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
They apparently had a double-length premiere but as part of the season have only aired the first episode, which doesn't even get to the hook of the MC's power. The visuals are polished and will probably be the selling point just like you're saying with the manhwa.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Arc Hammer posted:

So Bang Brave Bang Bravern is tomorrow, right? Still curious if that one is gonna go for a hard sci-fi real robot vibe or if Obari's madness is going to seep in and send the show off the rails. Kinda hoping for the latter.

Still kinda banking on this having a swerve like Akiba Maid, but I just started Marginal Service and realized that was another Cygames original and was just what it said on the tin...then nobody ended up watching/talking about it. 💀

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
There's narou-kei which should cover most of that stuff, though I'm sure it's not a style exclusive to a singular publishing platform like Syosetsu ni Narou anymore.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Parallax posted:

metallic rouge's a show that would have come out in 2007 and if somebody mentioned the title in 2024 you'd go, i watched that, i think.

Innocent Venus :hai:

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
What the hell is that

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zkg_03wzNKQ

The throwback elements :discourse:

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I'll look forward to Bandai releasing three episodes with English subs and then stopping. 👍

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Per the tweet, O and M have separate teasers and probably indicate multiple announcements. So idk if people are accounting for that when guessing ORV, since I can fully Believe it would get an anime but that still leaves M as a mystery.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I like when Bleach is in the real world, rip Fullbringers.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Kuroda likes to reuse some names, there's not a particularly deep connection between his shows that have Nafrece in them.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Man what the gently caress is that Sasaki and Peeps ED.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I just flash back to stuff like this,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFBoPSOXfEk

except the Peeps one actually has a song. It just feels like a flub in trying to do stop-motion aesthetic cg or something.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
https://twitter.com/AIR_News01/status/1749748072387866781?s=19

What the gently caress is the point anymore

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I'm not touching it until it's over, nice to have things to look forward to.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Only thing the English title lacks is a convenient abbreviation, otherwise not sure why this continues to be a sticking point.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I think that's the best it would get, but this is also a case where the scan side of things seems to have ingrained the JP title (and kinda unappealing DunMesh/i shortening) more strongly online. Even though the JP always included the eventual English title. :shrug:

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
They're having a firefighter tournament arc.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
First season of High Card wasn't clearing BSD tbh, though it's nice to hear they might be improving.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Both, but I'm not really expecting Hibari to measure up to Bones.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Incredibly good ED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bjf06vSKGJM

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I think Sign is a perfectly fine and beautiful show that also chafes with me. Yuki is really sheltered and so doesn't have a lot going on aside from throwing herself into the Itsuomi obsession, which all tracks but isn't something I really find compelling. Their dynamic is getting more give-and-take now and the show just has a nice vibe so I'm getting over it, but I think without being able to basically binge this first half I would've dropped.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

OnimaruXLR posted:

I'm big into the Dark Gathering manga but the anime...

I haven't actually properly watched it, so it might be good, but it doesn't LOOK good.

It's like normal in terms of seasonal anime where the industry has to make 30+ of them at a time, but yeah that's not actually very good and I found it poorly conveyed the horror (already difficult for anime tbf).

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Thankfully there is actual* mahjong anime coming later this year.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Well she's not Dancer Elise.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I think more than anything the various cut-ins of other characters have a weird effect on the show. Like you get a sense of the wider cast and world, but it feels questionable that any of it is going to cohere into stuff that matters for Jinwoo by the end of this season.

This is certainly less of an issue than how bad the writing has become already, but it's all at a level I find ignorable to just enjoy the production values.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I mean Pierrot is still doing the classic filler style with stuff like their Black Clover and Boruto adaptations. Otherwise it seems mostly limited to an episode or two a season like what MHA and KnY have done.

Nothing else coming to mind except maybe Super Crooks being half original content.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
For some reason the Astro Note OP is out, months early.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydx8XclhltE

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Let's see her up against a Honki person.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Julias posted:

The one that always sticks out in my mind after seeing it at a bookstore was "After-School Bitchcraft" (Houkago Bitchcraft)

This is at least a normal pun, unlike My Girlfriend is Shobitch.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Sounds like they did not commit to doing more episodes of dog-kicking quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I mean original E7 is good regardless of sequels and Captain Earth is easily offset by Space Dandy and ConRevo around that same time. Even got Sk8 and Godzilla SP for recent ones.

They probably have missed more than hit but there are pretty regular bright spots.