Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

sharkmafia posted:

I like this arc fine but I get why people might not. frieren basically has two modes and you don't have to like both of them; I think it's worth watching even if you only like one

I definitely enjoy both. I do feel like the pacing is a little sluggish right now -- I'm enjoying it but suspect it could have been done a little more compactly and still accomplish what it's accomplishing.

On the other hand, so much entertainment nowadays never, ever stops to breathe, so I don't want to complain too much when a show is willing to take its time getting somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

and more Eizouken!

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Erg posted:

City of gold is where the manga lost me so I am going to lol if the anime also manages that

I thought it was interesting, but dragged on a bit longer than I would have liked. I have the advantage of having started reading the manga as the anime was wrapping up, so I could power ahead through things that were less engaging instead of having to wait for new chapters to be published. I've been enjoying stuff after the City of Gold arc a bit more, especially this latest arc where a couple of my favorite characters have popped up again.

I enjoy the manga, but do think the anime manages to take it to a higher level, not just with some very nice animation, but expanding on what is often rather bland paneling and static character poses in the manga, and also expanding on the background a lot -- the King's Tomb in the manga was very "generic dungeon" feeling for the most part, but the anime's backgrounds really gave it a much more cohesive sense of place that felt like it fit into the world better.