Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Dungeon Meshi, localized as Delicious in Dungeon, is a fantasy adventure cooking series written by Ryoko Kui and adapted into an anime by Studio Trigger. Simulcasting on Netflix in sub and dub on Jan. 4. Two cours! :toot:.

The series follows a party of adventurers as they seek to explore the depths of the local island's dungeon for treasure. However, money doesn't quite come so easily, which means simple luxuries like food and rations just simply can't be afforded. Good thing the dungeon comes teeming with edible monsters just waiting to be prepared!

:siren:The manga finished serialization in late 2023, so be careful what you run around googling with.:siren:

Our Peculiar Cast of Characters

Laios Touden (Voiced by: Kentaro Kumagai)

A tall-man and the de facto leader of the party. While he's strong, brave, and rather capable, his complete lack of charisma means he tends to get along better with the monsters than any of his other party members. Loves monsters.

Falin Touden (Voiced by: Saori Hayami)

A tall-man and little sister to Laios. Specializing in healing and support magic, she helps keep the party healthy and safe. Near-sighted.

Marcille Donato (Voiced by: Sayaka Senbongi)

A talented elven mage and Falin's best friend. Unfortunately cursed with actually having a brain, she often ends up being the Find Out to Laios' gently caress Around. Loves Falin.

Chilchuk Tims (Voiced by: Asuna Tomari)

A half-foot with sharp senses and skilled in trap detection and removal. Pragmatic to a fault, he's mostly in it for the money, yet somehow ends up being the most socially aware of the group. Supports worker's rights.

Senshi (Voiced by: Hiroshi Naka)

A dwarven cook. Specializing in dungeon 'cuisine', he's rather easy-going and content to live off the grid and in the dungeon. He ends up joining up with the party after witnessing Laios' best attempt to give everyone food poisoning. Quite handsome.

And more! The world of Dungeon Meshi is flush with fully realized characters and the world-building on display is absolutely best in class. For people experiencing this series for the first time via anime, you truly are in for a treat.

RuBisCO fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

MARCILLE APPRECIATION STATION

RuBisCO fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 12, 2024

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
let's gooooooo

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
They better not gently caress this up

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I mean, the story is done, as long as they don't, I dunno, add a mascot critter or anything it should be okay?

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Budget for animation.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's Trigger with Netflix money, they should be fine.

Also important to note, Netflix is actually going to be simulcasting this weekly in both sub and dub!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Suddenly theres a giant mecha episode

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

YggiDee posted:

I mean, the story is done, as long as they don't, I dunno, add a mascot critter or anything it should be okay?

Every monster is the mascot critter

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I wonder what Jar Jar tastes like

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

But we know what Kensuke tastes like.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

I just finished reading the manga version of this a few days ago and yeah its gonna be great. everyone loves marcille and i get it, but i would submit that actually every main character is the best. this story has a really good cast

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
marcille

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

you make a convincing argument :hmmyes:

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
This is on my short list of shows to watch this Winter, so I'm looking forward to the recipies, er, adventure.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
And some truly adventurous recipes

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i actually bounced off the manga after a couple chapters for some inexplicable reason, Trigger magic should let me latch onto the anime enough tho. hoip

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

I generally dislike elves in fiction.

Marcille is not like most elves in fiction. She is an adorable delight, and anytime she isn't on screen the characters should be asking "Where is Marcille?"

This is also true for Senshi.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

I sympathize a lot with chilchuk's tired-eyed 'i just work here' vibe and he's a wonderful straight man to the other party members' goofy nonsense

much like marcille, a very unique interpretation of a fantasy archetype. halflings are usually much less cranky

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Tree Reformat posted:

I generally dislike elves in fiction.

I hate elves in almost every fantasy fiction outside of Dungeon Meshi. Dungeon Meshi elves own. :colbert:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

I hate elves in almost every fantasy fiction outside of Dungeon Meshi. Dungeon Meshi elves own. :colbert:

What about Frieren?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
My most anticipated anime of all time. I can't believe its happening and in such good hands. Frieren has been an absolute outstanding adaptation and I hope the same is true for Dungeon Meshi. Getting 2 all time bangers in a row like this would be awesome.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

sharkmafia posted:

I sympathize a lot with chilchuk's tired-eyed 'i just work here' vibe and he's a wonderful straight man to the other party members' goofy nonsense

much like marcille, a very unique interpretation of a fantasy archetype. halflings are usually much less cranky

He's the responsible adult of the group. Senshi may be a similar relative age, but he's been down in a dungeon for a long time

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
elves have always been good. its just ryoko kui understands their true potential and what makes them great~

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Elves are always going to be tricky to do because it's hard to come up with an interesting angle for them that isn't playing off of the original fae or the Tolkien style.
Haven't read Dungeon Meshi so I don't know what their elves are like, yet.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
They're aloof, in the canonical pop-cultural elvish fashion, but in a reasonable way that is used to illustrate an aspect of their culture, which not all elves subscribe to, and makes elves more interesting than the old "snooty mystical elves" canard.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

*minor spoilers* one of Ryoko Kui's main focus areas for fantasy races is how the different lifespans of various races affect their outlooks and cross-species interactions, not just for long lived species like elves and dwarves but also for "shorter lived" ones like halflings and orcs. The elves and dwarves have a semi-antagonistic relationship with both having very paternalistic views of humans and other shorter lived races.

Ryoko Kui also goes the extra mile in specifically *which* groups of elves and dwarves we get to meet but that gets into major spoiler territory beyond saying they absolutely rock.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if you want to discuss the details of the manga i'd suggest doing so in the manga thread.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The thing about elves is that people frequently try to do Tolkien-style elves, but without the part where the elves are actually awe-inspiring and almost angelic in nature, so you end up with an entire race of people who think very highly of themselves even though nobody else in the setting shares that opinion.

I think it's very key to how elves work for Tolkien that literally everybody in Middle-Earth genuinely thinks elves are incredible and also hot.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
To be fair, elves being hot is like the one thing that is almost always consistent across fiction, to the point where I would argue that its their defining characteristic.

EDIT:

chiasaur11 posted:

What about Frieren?

Yeah, I like all the elves in the Frieren. But to be honest, they are so rare that I am not sure liking them count as liking the whole elven race/society. :v:

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 28, 2023

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Lt. Lizard posted:

To be fair, elves being hot is like the one thing that is almost always consistent across fiction, to the point where I would argue that its their defining characteristic.

EDIT:

Yeah, I like all the elves in the Frieren. But to be honest, they are so rare that I am not sure liking them count as liking the whole elven race/society. :v:

Elves are nearly always hot, yeah, but tolkien elves are the first children of god, who have existed since the age of legend and beheld the light of valinor when the world was young, etc etc. The oldest elves are more like mythical demigods than they are like other people.

So the vibe is a bit different than just 'insufferably smug hot people who live a long time'

Re: frieren, yeah elves being nearly extinct there means it doesn't need to explain what 'elven society' is like. The main theme of the interactions between elves we've seen so far in the show is how they as individuals deal with their near-immortality. It's informed less by a culture that doesn't exist anymore, and which frieren seems to barely remember, and more by who they are as people.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Tolkien elves are so hot that the angels of God himself based their physical forms off of the Elves and before that they were light swirling gas and light or something.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
And yet the dwarf is the hottest of them all in dungeon meshi.

Estel
May 4, 2010

trucutru posted:

And yet the dwarf is the hottest of them all in dungeon meshi.

:hmmyes:

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Marcille is a very good elf that's all.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Marcille and Freiren are both my favorite elves. I think their interactions would be funny.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Fingolfin remains Best Elf but Frieren is cool and I'll watch Marcille.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
this is going to rip rear end

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

ep1 out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Watched the first episode in English. SungWon Cho voices Senshi and it slaps.

So having not read the manga, I take it that death isn't as big a deal here with resurrection spells? Marcille mentions dying once to a slime.