Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Dungeon Meshi, localized as Delicious in Dungeon, is a fantasy adventure cooking series written by Ryoko Kui and adapted into an anime by Studio Trigger. Simulcasting on Netflix in sub and dub on Jan. 4. Two cours! :toot:.

The series follows a party of adventurers as they seek to explore the depths of the local island's dungeon for treasure. However, money doesn't quite come so easily, which means simple luxuries like food and rations just simply can't be afforded. Good thing the dungeon comes teeming with edible monsters just waiting to be prepared!

:siren:The manga finished serialization in late 2023, so be careful what you run around googling with.:siren:

Our Peculiar Cast of Characters

Laios Touden (Voiced by: Kentaro Kumagai)

A tall-man and the de facto leader of the party. While he's strong, brave, and rather capable, his complete lack of charisma means he tends to get along better with the monsters than any of his other party members. Loves monsters.

Falin Touden (Voiced by: Saori Hayami)

A tall-man and little sister to Laios. Specializing in healing and support magic, she helps keep the party healthy and safe. Near-sighted.

Marcille Donato (Voiced by: Sayaka Senbongi)

A talented elven mage and Falin's best friend. Unfortunately cursed with actually having a brain, she often ends up being the Find Out to Laios' gently caress Around. Loves Falin.

Chilchuk Tims (Voiced by: Asuna Tomari)

A half-foot with sharp senses and skilled in trap detection and removal. Pragmatic to a fault, he's mostly in it for the money, yet somehow ends up being the most socially aware of the group. Supports worker's rights.

Senshi (Voiced by: Hiroshi Naka)

A dwarven cook. Specializing in dungeon 'cuisine', he's rather easy-going and content to live off the grid and in the dungeon. He ends up joining up with the party after witnessing Laios' best attempt to give everyone food poisoning. Quite handsome.

Izutsumi (Voiced by: Mitsuho Kambe)

Cat.

And more! The world of Dungeon Meshi is flush with fully realized characters and the world-building on display is absolutely best in class. For people experiencing this series for the first time via anime, you truly are in for a treat.

RuBisCO fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

MARCILLE APPRECIATION STATION

RuBisCO fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 12, 2024

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

you make a convincing argument :hmmyes:

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Finally sat down and watched this and so far so good. Marcille's bizarre rear end gag with the sound completely cut off got me really good. Excited to see the rest of the journey.

Not watching the dub but super, super neat to see Sungwon Cho get a voice role. I remember watching a manga collection video of his ages ago and he was gushing about it back then. What a nice story.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

The best part is that you could tell that it was an actual zoom in on Marcille's face. They did not redraw that.

Yes absolutely it looked so loving crusty lol

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I have now watched both subbed and dubbed and I genuinely think I like the dub better.

Does this make me a fake fan?

It's 2024 you're in a safe space fam

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

SexyBlindfold posted:

Are the illustrations in the ED Ryoko Kui originals for the anime, or are they from one of the manga extras? they're great! wouldn't mind one framed on my wall (which conceals an olive oil trap)

It looks like new art, which was a such a nice surprise to see

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Marcille is doing the equivalent of just auto-attacking through random encounters to save MP leave her alone

also, her party is doing the equivalent of those survival shows where they eat an entire monkey and sleep in a camel carcass of course she's not having a good time

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Or just! A long rope!! Dumb rear end wizards!!!

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Ryoko Kui apparently plays a bunch of western RPGs / roguelikes, and also occasionally likes trolling developers:

PUNK ELF is sending me

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Fun episode to watch!

Did not expect the sword friend to just look like Migi lol

edit:

RuBisCO fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 18, 2024

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Diephoon posted:

So do we just not give a gently caress about all the people that died in the tavern or what

Laios casually mentioned going through is first death last episode, and earlier than that they mentioned body collection crews or whatever. Death just doesn't seem like that big of a deal in this world.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Squidster posted:

A good friend has been watching this show with his very gentle six year old, on the impression it was a relatively kid-safe monsters and cooking show. Like a slightly older, more focussed Pokemon with life lessons.

The surprise tavern massacre did not go well

My friend spent a tear-filled hour trying to answer questions about why would the orcs do that, why did the elves hurt the orcs first, who the Bad Guys were, why does god let bad things happen to nice people

lol

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

this is probably my favorite one yet. i always liked this pair of chapters, some really cool ideas in both. living armor was when ryoko kui really first wow'd me but she just shows immediately here that she can consistently come up with some really creative stuff using these concepts. and the animation just remains really fun.

also a lot of small marcille/fallin moments 🥹🙏

Absolutely. The treasure bugs (and living armour) and the ghosts are both such great examples of Kui's world-building.

The bugs are subverted by portraying them up as cute little treasures, gems being akin to fruit you can jam, and then eating them is played straight. This is contrasted with the ghosts themselves being played straight but "eating" is subverted by making a food with them you just wouldn't have expected.

There's just so much creativity in how she ties in food to every one of these typical fantasty monsters, it's just really fun to see. Like it could have so easily been just "well you cut the monster and cook it and eat it" x 100, but there's always something neat and creative expressed.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Some excellent background Marcille in this episode

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

I bet Chilchuck is like 40.

Basically lol, the average lifespan of a half-foot is about 50 years, so 29 is well into middle-aged.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

We really need to establish some spoiler guidelines in this thread because we got people spoiling things that don't need to be spoilered and I'm just as guilty.

I would say anything post-episode release is probably fair game and doesn't need to be spoiled. Manga spoilers/allusions to manga-happenings should not be posted.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

good ep

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

WHY IS HE BLEPPING

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Hihohe posted:

Honestly id imagine the plant tentacles to taste like celery which i despise.

A delirious Marcille likened it to Taro, but personally I was thinking maybe Plantain?

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

haypliss posted:

I am a hater, a Saori Hayami hater.

what the

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

duz posted:

slams fists on table FROG SUITS FROG SUITS FROG SUITS FROG SUITS

FROG SUITS FROG SUITS

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Chilchuck in his little bag is my entire world

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Hihohe posted:

New episode is definetly not one you show your kids.

Look, they were gonna find out about lesbians eventually

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Asterite34 posted:

I don't think Falin squints because she needs glasses, I think she just has a kinda sleepy-eyed neutral expression, like Joel from MST3K

It's like Resting Bitch Face, but for good-natured dopeyness.

Nah she's canonically just near-sighted lol

RuBisCO fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 22, 2024

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

https://twitter.com/duckmeat_woohoo/status/1771080736696676707

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

I am in vacation but added to the OP

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Oh hey Marcille didn't see you there

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

Kabru discourse will continue until morale improves.

good it rules

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Can Of Worms posted:

This is part of an anthology that's been licensed, so if you enjoyed reading it you should buy it! :hai:

Now they should license her other ones!!

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

I really like that we have canonical answers regarding this latest episode:

Especially interesting because it informs a lot of inter-party/interracial dynamics.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

duz posted:

Big, fluffy Laios.

I'm with cat that is a dumb looking dog

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

My man also spent the entirety of the Chimera Falin fight holding onto a plate of food so lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Someone mentioned this ages ago, but the entirety of the party are all well-written and well-realized, with strengths and flaws. That includes Senshi, but it's just his flaws are not so immediately obvious because the entire premise so heavily relies on his strengths.

With that said, the Kelpie episode makes it obvious his biggest flaw is a degree of stubbornness that comes with being alone for so long. He's slowly learning, as is the rest of the party, but certain habits take a while to break if at all. And with a character so focused on food and cooking and respect for ecological systems, you would expect him to be the most stubborn when it comes to eating etiquette and food waste.